Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 09:53   #1426
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Why not take the Kittur route? You will save about 50-60 kms.
Would appreciate if you direct me to the route via kittur. Google maps shows quite a few roads from Kittur towards Panaji, so kinda confused..

Ravi, sfire,
Thanks for your suggestions.

One more question.. This time to the locals in Goa.
I had taken the coastal route from Colva to Paloleum over the lesser visited ghat section last year when I was on a bike. There is one point before the Mobor beach where we can take the ferry and go to the other side of the river and continue the ghat road which finally leads to Paloleum via Coco beach and Agonda beach.
I had seen a Maruti-800 getting ferried along with my bike and other passengers. I am just curious whether the Ferry has the capacity to take the load of my 2.6 tonne beast to the other side. I would love my family to see this side of Goa which hardly sees any tourist but it's so beautiful with Hill, beaches and sharply dropping cliffs.

Last edited by recker_us : 9th May 2011 at 09:55.
Old 9th May 2011, 10:01   #1427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would avoid it in the Aveo.

For that 10 kms it gets really bad. And it has got worser.

But as per my dad he did see a ANHC make its way through - his. Not loaded though.

The road after that though is brilliant.
Thanks! I really don't want to gamble with a potholed road just to save 40/50 km. The Aveo's rear has a irritating habit of squatting especially with luggage in the boot putting the petrol tank and muffler tip at risk.

And you are spot-on about SH93 via Nandgad! The road is truly lovely after that and we were entranced by the scenery as well as the condition of the road.

Thanks again!
Old 9th May 2011, 10:12   #1428
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Would appreciate if you direct me to the route via kittur.
Take NH4 all the way, pass Hubli-Dharwad bye-pass.

After crossing the end point of the byepass, or second toll booth. Continue straight on and look for a board that points to Kittur on the LHS. Its about 25 kms from Hotel Kittur.

You might miss it, it comes just before an elevated part of the NH4.

Take the left here, go down and continue on the LHS. You will see a small lake (probably a bit dry now). Go around it. Now you will come to a Y junction, take the one on the right. From here starts a narrow, really bad stretch of road that is about 10 kms long. No issue for a Safari. I do this route in my Bolero. The 10 kms may take about 25 mins.

This whole stretch lasts for 14 kms. and then you come to a small village and a T junction. Take the right here and drive all the way till you pass a village called Hebbal. There are good boards here, you cant miss it. About 5 kms on you will hit the Belgaum Londa road - Y junction. Be careful here, you are meeting a bigger road. Take a hairpin turn and drive towards Londa. You are on your way to Goa. Be careful here as one tends to drive straight instead of taking the turn. Goa Border - Mollem, is another 1 hour 15 mins from here

Quote:
I am just curious whether the Ferry has the capacity to take the load of my 2.6 tonne beast to the other side.
Yes you can. The ferries take a bus across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Thanks! I really don't want to gamble with a potholed road just to save 40/50 km.
Yeah, not worth starting a vacation on a bad note. And getting help there wouldn't be easy.

Last edited by Spitfire : 9th May 2011 at 10:20.
Spitfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 10:30   #1429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No issue for a Safari.

Yeah, not worth starting a vacation on a bad note. And getting help there wouldn't be easy.
Already set sights on a Safari/Merlin or the M&M W201 .
Hopefully by next summer will take this route!

On another note, I will be taking the Yeshwanthpur - Nelamangala elevated route out of BLR and aiming to leave by latest 0330 (am).

Anything to watch out for or tips etc.? I haven't been that way since they inaugurated the tolled flyover. I assume there are none of those monstrous speedbreakers ON the flyover!
Old 9th May 2011, 10:36   #1430
BANNED

Quote:
On another note, I will be taking the Yeshwanthpur - Nelamangala elevated route out of BLR and aiming to leave by latest 0330 (am).
No speed-breakers on the elevated road. Nice clean stretch as wide (or narrow as the BETL - Hosur Road). Toll Rs 15.
Old 9th May 2011, 10:47   #1431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No speed-breakers on the elevated road. Nice clean stretch as wide (or narrow as the BETL - Hosur Road). Toll Rs 15.
Many thanks Spitfire.

A few more questions : I see from Google Maps that the exit from NH4 to NH4A is way north in Belgaum town proper. Will traffic be an issue around 11 am in that stretch in Belgaum? Is there a bypass from NH to 4A Bangalore-Goa vehicles and if so, is it worth taking? Also, in your opinion, how much time should I budget for the Kittur-Belgaum-Khanapur stretch?

Trying to aim for a late lunch in Goa so . !
Old 9th May 2011, 11:04   #1432
BANNED

Hey always open to questions. Keep them coming. That road is my home stretch, I can drive blindfolded

Quote:
I see from Google Maps that the exit from NH4 to NH4A is way north in Belgaum town proper.
That is the problem. You can though drive further up the Belgaum bye pass and join from North Belgaum. Problem is you will still get traffic and then you are better off taking the Amboli route.

Quote:
Will traffic be an issue around 11 am in that stretch in Belgaum?
Oh yes that is peak time. Or with the traffic sense or the lack of it, you will get a bit stuck in places. Keep a calm head for that hour or so.

Quote:
Is there a bypass from NH to 4A Bangalore-Goa vehicles and if so, is it worth taking?
There are, one from the old bus-stand. But will be too confusing for you. Stick to the main road.

Quote:
Also, in your opinion, how much time should I budget for the Kittur-Belgaum-Khanapur stretch?
2-3 hours.

Quote:
Trying to aim for a late lunch in Goa so!
Just before the Mollem Border checkpost is the Dudsagar Restaurant on the LHS. You cant miss it. Good food but they close by 14:30. And costly - in Goan rates. But a good stop before you drive into Goa.

If you make it beyond their closing time. Look for one thin guy, Gandhi spectacles in a blue shirt. He takes the orders. There are other guys in orange shirts - they are the servers. I will send you a PM about what to tell him if they refuse service beyond that time. But don't make it too late.

Oh and there is a Buffet there too. Avoid it.

If you miss that one, pass Ponda. And on the Panaji-Ponda stretch on the LHS is GoMango. Awesome Goan food.

Last edited by Spitfire : 9th May 2011 at 11:05.
Old 9th May 2011, 12:37   #1433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey always open to questions. Keep them coming. That road is my home stretch, I can drive blindfolded

Problem is you will still get traffic and then you are better off taking the Amboli route.

Oh yes that is peak time. Or with the traffic sense or the lack of it, you will get a bit stuck in places. Keep a calm head for that hour or so.

There are, one from the old bus-stand. But will be too confusing for you. Stick to the main road.

2-3 hours.
NOW I am thoroughly confused! 2/3 hours is really a criminal waste of time for a piddly 50/60 km!

Thinking of chancing Kittur to Bidi at a very slow speed. Are the potholes navigable at walking pace or simply too deep (i.e. the bumpers/underbody etc WILL scrape) for a saloon? Although you may not be knowledgeable given your Bolero .

I will drive at a snail's pace!!! Let me know your expert opinion! Am sure other unfortunate TBHP-iians with saloons will thank you for the answer.
Old 9th May 2011, 13:31   #1434
BANNED

Quote:
NOW I am thoroughly confused! 2/3 hours is really a criminal waste of time for a piddly 50/60 km!
I think it is around 80kms. Problem is going through the city. You will pass through the main part of Belgaum city. Is it a weekend or weekday? It would be slightly better on holidays.

Quote:
Thinking of chancing Kittur to Bidi at a very slow speed. Are the potholes navigable at walking pace or simply too deep
Last time round, i saw a Linea, Santro, a NHC (the iron shaped one) passing along with me. But the roads gone bad even more.One stretch of around 100-200 meters does not show any signs of a road being there. Also lot of trucks come this way - its a shortcut. And they are quite stubborn about not getting off the road. They do give way to a Bolero but a Aveo they might bully you.

Also there are these massive harvestors, which ply on this road too. If you get one of them in the bad part you are toast.

A loaded Aveo would surely struggle. Don't.
Old 9th May 2011, 22:37   #1435
BHPian

Quote:
Spitfire - I see that you are online now & therefore have directed this query to you (cannot PM you).

I plan to leave Bangalore tmmrw morning & head towards Goa, but since I am no hurry - plan to spend 2 nights enroute (& the subsequent 3 nights in Goa). Have booked a homestay - Kolavara Heritage in Malnad. Any recommendations on the best route to get there?
Old 9th May 2011, 22:54   #1436
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen.to.know View Post
Have booked a homestay - Kolavara Heritage in Malnad. Any recommendations on the best route to get there?
The Shimoga route it is. The route has been discussed earlier. I have been down this route in early March and it is good. Then onwards you can take the Karwar route to enter Goa from the South.

Have a safe journey. The route is really beautiful.
Old 9th May 2011, 23:00   #1437
BHPian

Quote:
The Shimoga route it is. The route has been discussed earlier. I have been down this route in early March and it is good. Then onwards you can take the Karwar route to enter Goa from the South.

Thanks. Looking forward to the drive
Old 9th May 2011, 23:07   #1438
BHPian

Quote:

I can second that. Went the last month from Bangalore through Honnavar karwar route. The roads are good and very scenic. As Spitfire said, it's been discussed before.
bantejas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 12:24   #1439
BHPian

Hi folks,
Any update on road conditions and weather in Goa, I am planning to drive down this weekend(22nd) and will be there most of the week.
Just wondering if it will be too hot and if the beaches will get rough.
Old 21st May 2011, 07:54   #1440
Senior - BHPian

I am back Bangalore and last 3 weeks I was away from net so couldnot reply. by now keen to know should have had good trip. Around sirsi every road is in good condition also around Shimoga. I had wonderful vacation this time.

Ravi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks