Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 22:31   #676
BHPian

Guys, am planning a Goa trip for the Oct 2nd weekend. I don't travel very often by road so I'm kinda clueless w.r.t the directions, best route etc.

There are two cars my Palio MJD and a Honda City, totaling 5 adults and 2 kids (below 3 yrs).

I'm looking for a route which is the quickest to reach Goa. Reason, we can't have the kids sitting in the car for over 3-4 hours in one stretch and we also want to spend more time in Goa than on the travel.

With this background I want you guys to advise me thefastest with good roads and easy to drive with some decent stops for food and refreshments.

I got this route from mapmyindia - Bangalore-Tumkur-Sira-Chitradurga-Davangere-Haveri-Hubli-Kittur-Khanapur-Panaji. Is this doable with my requirements?

Any inputs is going to be very valuable for me... thanks in advance.
Old 16th September 2009, 08:19   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
Guys, am planning a Goa trip for the Oct 2nd weekend. I don't travel very often by road so I'm kinda clueless w.r.t the directions, best route etc.

There are two cars my Palio MJD and a Honda City, totaling 5 adults and 2 kids (below 3 yrs).

I'm looking for a route which is the quickest to reach Goa. Reason, we can't have the kids sitting in the car for over 3-4 hours in one stretch and we also want to spend more time in Goa than on the travel.

With this background I want you guys to advise me thefastest with good roads and easy to drive with some decent stops for food and refreshments.

I got this route from mapmyindia - Bangalore-Tumkur-Sira-Chitradurga-Davangere-Haveri-Hubli-Kittur-Khanapur-Panaji. Is this doable with my requirements?

Any inputs is going to be very valuable for me... thanks in advance.
Thats the fastest route but someone over here said that post chitradurga the road isnt that good. If someone could confirm on that it would be great. Even I am planning a road trip to goa not sure whether on a karizma or zen
Old 16th September 2009, 11:54   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnandi View Post
Hi Spitfire, thanks for your suggestion, will avoid NH4A. Question is, which route to take then? via Shimoga? Can you PM me your number, talking would help me more!

Thanks ranjitp1, I will not be going upto belgaum, was thinking of deviating from Dharwad onto NH4A. Can you explain how to take your route if I am coming from Hubli/Dharwad side?

Thanks
Nandi
Well I guess even if you deviate from Dharwad you would either take the Alnavar route and reach Londa or else you would take the deviation to Khanapur and reach NH4A and then continue via Londa to Panjim.In case these are the two options you are considering,then I would suggest that you dont consider them.Its not worth it.

The bad stretch is in between Londa & Molem.So as long as you avoid this stretch,and go via some other route you would do fine.

The one option that I can think of is to go via Amboli.Dharwad-Amboli is around 150kms(via Belgaum-Amboli road).Amboli-Sawantwadi=30kms.S'wadi-Panjim=60kms.
Old 17th September 2009, 08:36   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Dudes put up the road directions here...I am very closely watching the thread...am traveling to goa on 19th Sep!
Wanted to go via hubli side and come back via karwar-shimoga side.

Regards,
Mohit
Mohit, I am also heading North Goa on 19th September 2009 early morn through Shimoga-Jog-Paloem breaks. Return journey on 22nd noon via Amboli-Belgaum route. PM me your contact details, shall share mine. Lets share helping hand incase of any troubles during the trip.

BTW, which is the best option to reach Tumkur Road from Electronic City without any help on directions in early morning?
Old 17th September 2009, 11:04   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
BTW, which is the best option to reach Tumkur Road from Electronic City without any help on directions in early morning?
Take NICE road from all the way from EC via gottigere-Bannerghatta Rd. You'll be reaching just NH4 just before Nelmangala. Easiest and fastest route.
Old 17th September 2009, 12:57   #681
Senior - BHPian

Posting this on behalf of mclaren1885 who has just done a trip to belgaum and back in the last 2 days.

Road conditions from Haveri-Chitradurga are quite horrible. Best if this section is avoided. Most places roads are non-existent, if not filled with car breaking potholes. Took me nearly 4.5hrs to cover this section of 180 odd kms. Chitradurga to Bangalore (230 odd kms) covered in 2.5hrs So imagine how bad the stretch is.

Sincere suggestion to all tbhpians going to Goa to take the Shimoga route. Can't be so bad. Anytime one hopes to make up on the GQ is lost in the stretch between Chitradurga-Haveri. Also locals at Belgaum report route from Londa-Goa isn't in great shape either.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:56   #682
Senior - BHPian

I just now spoke to Lukeskywalker (Hari). He and his convoy of cars have reached sagar (on their way to goa).

He reports that Yeshwantpur Peenya-nelamangal stretch is not good.
it seems one of the car came via that route. Hari drove via Dodballapur-Dobbaspet road. Other other have having left early reach Tumkur late.

He also reports that >95% of the road stretch till sagar is very good
some 5KM stretch near Tarikere is not good plus shimoga entry is being made wide, hence the strech is not good. other than this road condition is good

i plan to travell on this road tomorrow

Last edited by StarVegabond : 17th September 2009 at 13:58.
Old 17th September 2009, 14:05   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Take NICE road from all the way from EC via gottigere-Bannerghatta Rd. You'll be reaching just NH4 just before Nelmangala. Easiest and fastest route.
Thanks Sushrutha, never knew whether it NICE is complete till Tumkur Road.

Can we easily track this route(without any help on direction since we travel in early morning like 2AM? Any must note deviations on the way?
How far is NH4 from EC approx?
Old 18th September 2009, 11:36   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
I just now spoke to Lukeskywalker (Hari). He and his convoy of cars have reached sagar (on their way to goa).

He reports that Yeshwantpur Peenya-nelamangal stretch is not good.
it seems one of the car came via that route. Hari drove via Dodballapur-Dobbaspet road. Other other have having left early reach Tumkur late.

He also reports that >95% of the road stretch till sagar is very good
some 5KM stretch near Tarikere is not good plus shimoga entry is being made wide, hence the strech is not good. other than this road condition is good

i plan to travell on this road tomorrow
Thanks starvegabond. keep updating us on this route with timeings and distances.
Old 21st September 2009, 12:33   #685
BHPian

Hi All,

I too am planning a trip to goa (South) from bangalore the coming weekend.
Please do let me know the best route to take.
Time is not a constraint. Road condition is as we are looking for a stress free drive.
Planning to leave Friday 25th Sept midnight and return on Monday 28th Sept from Goa.
Old 21st September 2009, 13:25   #686
BHPian

Guys, is it also true that the Shimoga route is closed at night due to naxalite trouble? Someone informed me that certain section is open between 9am-6pm only.
Please advise as I intend to leave at midnight
Old 21st September 2009, 15:18   #687
Senior - BHPian

Yelahanka to Jog Road status update
-------------------------------------
Yelahanka - Dodballapur - Dobbaspet (63KM) : Very good stretch, there are three railway crossings, 2 prior to dodballapur and one prior to Dobbaspet. There are 6-8 rumblers immediately after the dobbaspet-dodballapur junction where the road is bit rough. I did this stretch in ~70 minutes with sedate driving and stopping over (total 8-9 minutes) at 2 railway crossings.

Dobbaspet to Tumkur City (22KM). Good Highway stretch, bad bypass stretch with several very bigh speed breakers, expect heavy truck/bus traffic during mornings.There is a tumkur bypass towards Shimoga, but i was adviced by my relatives in Tumkur to avoid it as it is in terrible state. Early morning traffic within tumkur city is also low. Expect some pot holed roads within tumkur city.

Tumkur - Gubbi - Tiptur - Arsikere - Birur (150KM). >90% stretch is very good. some stretches at the outskirts of tumkur, Gubbi town, Tiptur town, Tarikere, Shimoga entry are not good. expect occational pot holes as well as herds of cattle during morning/evening time near the villages. most of the small villages have speed breakers at the start and end of the village. these speed breakers have not been marked. There are small road dividers at some larger villages. I managed to do this stretch with sedate (60KMPH) driving in approx 2 hours 45 minutes including breakfast time (~30 minutes)

From birur, we took detour towards lingadahalli-kemmannugundi-Hebbefalls-Lingadahalli and rejoined the highway at Tarikere and again detour via bhadra dam - shankaraghatta-shimoga

Shimoga city: Shimoga city seems to be under construction or repair. there are projects running for concretization, relaying of roads, filling pot holes (???), consutruing railway over bridges etc. expect heavy traffic during day time. this drive through city would take some 20+ minutes due to traffic.

Shimoga to Sagar to Jog (95KMs): >90% of the stretch is in very good condition. i did this stretch in approx 100 minutes. expect pot holes within sagar city and outskirts.
Old 21st September 2009, 15:27   #688
BHPian

Thanks for the update Star. Looking for an update from Jog-Falls to Goa now so that I can do the trip in peace
Old 21st September 2009, 21:27   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavj01 View Post
Thanks for the update Star. Looking for an update from Jog-Falls to Goa now so that I can do the trip in peace
I am not going beyond Jog. My plan was to be in shimoga for couple of days and look arround.

I will be going to Udupi tomorrow morning via Hosanagara - Haladi - Barkur road where i iwll be staying for few days till week end at my parents place.

Regarding Jog to Goa and back, Lukeskywalker can update as he would have returned today back to Bangalore from Goa.
Old 21st September 2009, 23:21   #690
BHPian

guys, which is the ideal route. I'm very confused reading so many posts and options. Can someone please give me instructions like I'm a 2yr old? I need the fastest route with decent roads to reach south goa from bangalore... please help!

Most Viewed