Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 17:10   #661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post
Hi sushrutha

Thanks for the information. Any idea about mangalore to chalakudy(Best route, places that can be covered, distances, road conditions etc)
Kindly excuse me. I have no Idea about Mangalore to Chalakudy route info.
Old 10th September 2009, 20:02   #662
BHPian

Karnataka-Goa border scum

Hi Spitfire,

I drive down to Goa from Bangalore 3-4 times every year, I have not faced much issues at the Goa-Karnataka border, i tell them i have come from Karwar & going to visit relatives in goa in case they do bother me. Once a cop pointed out the KA-03 registration, i told him the car is from Bangalore but i am a native of karwar. Of course using Konkani/Kannada helps, have never paid a single rupee in more than 15-16 trips.
Old 11th September 2009, 16:04   #663
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
Of course using Konkani/Kannada helps, have never paid a single rupee in more than 15-16 trips.
Oh i haven't been so lucky. They have always managed to create unnecessary hassles for me.

And its not just me there are lot of people who have gone through this.
Old 14th September 2009, 14:17   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post
Guys I have made changes to the plan and have included Coimbatore , Ooty,Vaalparai, athitampally . I will be starting from Coimbatore.

Plz look in the s.no 4 SharavanaBelagola to Agumbe(Via belur,halebid,hornadu,kudremukh. please let me know the distance.

I would like to know the best route between Mangalore to Chalakudy and the distance, road conditions etc. remember we are doing this trip on bikes

i think the above image is not viewable

Attaching it as a word document .could have done that earlier itself
Any idea about Mangalore to chalakudy guys!!!!
Old 15th September 2009, 12:06   #665
BHPian

Blr to Goa on 18-Sep

Hi,

Going to Goa from Blr on 18-Sep-09. Thought of 2 routes, want to do a final check with everyone which is the better of the two.

Route 1: B'lore - (NH4) Chitradurga - Haveri - Hubli - Dharwad - (SH34) Alnavar (NH4A) - Panjim.

Route 2: B'lore - Tumkur (NH206) - Tiptur - Shimoga - Honavar - Kumta - Ankola - Karwar - Margao - Panjim.

- Which route above has better road condition?
- Where should we give possible breaks? (maybe for breakfast and lunch).

While coming back, I want to break and do a night halt. Also want to come via the coastal route. (Route 2). Can someone suggest a good place to halt for the night, do a quick site-seeing the next morning and return to blore? (places like- Kudremukh or Kemmangundi)?

Thanks
Nandi.
Old 15th September 2009, 13:45   #666
Senior - BHPian

As per my knowledge have breakfast in any of Kamat Hotels (2 are there opposite to each other) 30km before Tumkur or near Tiptur average to low quality food there.

Shimoga Jewel rock otherwise sagar are better options else Kumta panduranga international good option for lunch. There is Sapna hotel in Ankola 300mtrs from nh17.

For stay Kumta panduranga international or Murdeshwara or shimoga Jewel rock are good options.

Ravi.
Old 15th September 2009, 14:31   #667
BHPian

Any idea about Mangalore to chalakudy guys!!!!

Please see my post in the previous page. I have attached my plan .
Old 15th September 2009, 14:56   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnandi View Post
Hi,

Going to Goa from Blr on 18-Sep-09. Thought of 2 routes, want to do a final check with everyone which is the better of the two.

Route 1: B'lore - (NH4) Chitradurga - Haveri - Hubli - Dharwad - (SH34) Alnavar (NH4A) - Panjim.

Route 2: B'lore - Tumkur (NH206) - Tiptur - Shimoga - Honavar - Kumta - Ankola - Karwar - Margao - Panjim.

- Which route above has better road condition?
- Where should we give possible breaks? (maybe for breakfast and lunch).

While coming back, I want to break and do a night halt. Also want to come via the coastal route. (Route 2). Can someone suggest a good place to halt for the night, do a quick site-seeing the next morning and return to blore? (places like- Kudremukh or Kemmangundi)?

Thanks
Nandi.
Route1: The NH4A is bad on the Karnataka side, I mean the bit between Mollem in Goa to the turnoff for Londa. But not as bad as the NH17 though. When I passed through a week back, I was a bit scared with the sight of all the lorries changing tyres. Roads improve a lot once you cross KA in to Goa and descend via the Mollem national park. PS: Lookout for the Ponda bypass.

Route2: Karwar to Margao is excellent. And the scenery is great. But a lot depends on the condition between Kumta-Ankola. Compared to the more southern stretches of the NH17, these are extremely manageable. I am not familiar with your route before Kumta.

I think the choice is here on your preference/convenience with the other parts of the two routes. I would choose either of the above based on the stretches i have written about.

Last edited by DaiusPitar : 15th September 2009 at 14:58.
Old 15th September 2009, 15:17   #669
BANNED

Quote:
(NH4A)
If you love your car. Don't even think of this route. What a beautiful route spoiled by mining and apathy shown by the Karnataka government.

First they killed the Ramnagar - Londa road. Now they are doing the same to the Londa - Mollem road.

If only this 2 roads were good folks traveling from Bangalore - Goa could have taken not more then 10 hours to reach Goa.

A lot of money is getting wasted in taking the alternate longer routes. More fuel wasted, higher ticket cost for buses.

Last edited by Spitfire : 15th September 2009 at 15:33.
Old 15th September 2009, 15:28   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
If you love your car. Don't even think of this route. What a beautiful route spoiled by mining and apathy shown by the Karnataka government.
So thats the reason.... I suspected as much about all the trucks.

I so totally agree with you on the beauty of the route though.
Old 15th September 2009, 15:35   #671
Senior - BHPian

Just some information for people intending on entering Goa from Belgaum.Avoid NH4A at all costs.The stretch from Londa till you descend the Molem ghat is in terrible shape.I took this route two days back and words wouldnt do justice to the condition of the roads.Holes like craeters,as deep as wells and the depressing part is that you expect the bad stretch to end soon and it just does not end.so you just go on and on and on with a silent prayer that nothingn happens to the undercarriage of the car.this is easily one of my scariest drives.there is absolutely no semblance of anything called a road for a stretch of 15-20kms.it took us 5hours to cover 140kms..

take the belgaum-amboli road and enter goa via amboli.road conditions are good.
Old 15th September 2009, 16:54   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
If you love your car. Don't even think of this route.
Hi Spitfire, thanks for your suggestion, will avoid NH4A. Question is, which route to take then? via Shimoga? Can you PM me your number, talking would help me more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1
Just some information for people intending on entering Goa from Belgaum.Avoid NH4A at all costs.
take the belgaum-amboli road and enter goa via amboli.road conditions are good.
Thanks ranjitp1, I will not be going upto belgaum, was thinking of deviating from Dharwad onto NH4A. Can you explain how to take your route if I am coming from Hubli/Dharwad side?

Thanks
Nandi
Old 15th September 2009, 17:17   #673
BHPian

[quote=ranjitp1;1484042] Avoid NH4A at all costs. it took us 5hours to cover 140kms..

Thanks Ranjit - This is exact information I wanted to know from you guys. I'd travelled only once on this route about 5 years back. After that I've never travelled on this route.

And Ranjit you're lucky you got only 15-20 kms of Bad Road, I got nearly 40 kms of bad road at that time. And the time taken 9 hours to complete that 140 kms. And that too in a TATA SIERRA.
Old 15th September 2009, 17:25   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Spitfire, thanks for your suggestion, will avoid NH4A. Question is, which route to take then? via Shimoga? Can you PM me your number, talking would help me more!

Thanks ranjitp1, I will not be going upto belgaum, was thinking of deviating from Dharwad onto NH4A. Can you explain how to take your route if I am coming from Hubli/Dharwad side?

Thanks
Nandi
Dudes put up the road directions here...I am very closely watching the thread...am traveling to goa on 19th Sep!
Wanted to go via hubli side and come back via karwar-shimoga side.

Regards,
Mohit
Old 15th September 2009, 19:44   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Dudes put up the road directions here...I am very closely watching the thread...am traveling to goa on 19th Sep!
Wanted to go via hubli side and come back via karwar-shimoga side.

Regards,
Mohit
That's nice, so many tbhp guys travelling from blr to goa this/next week. Looks like we can have a mini tbhp-blr meet in Goa!

But seriously, I am also contemplating on another route below:
Bangalore (NH4) – Tumkur – Sira – Hiriyur – Chitradurga – Devanagere – Ranibennur – Haveri – (SH69) Sirsi – Divgi (NH17) – Mirjan – Ankola – Karwar – Canacona – Cuncolim – Chinchinim – Navelim – Bambolim – Panjim.

So waiting for more feedback from fellow bhpians to know the best route to take!
Thanks
Nandi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks