Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2009, 09:07   #751
Senior - BHPian

Agreed about Hurrycane, bad road between yellapur - sirsi is completed just before monsoon after 5 years of struggle. That road is good at last, Thanks to good political, official, public interest in that area to get it done within no time after long time of negligence. That route is verty scenic too.

Ravi.
Old 26th September 2009, 09:29   #752
BHPian

Thanks Ravi for your advice on this route on my earlier query on route info to Dandeli. Very good roads, minimal traffic. We left Dandeli at 11:15 AM and were in Shimoga at 3:00 PM.
Old 26th September 2009, 16:30   #753
Distinguished - BHPian

Am also plannng to do Bangalore - Goa on Oct 2 early morning in my swift. Had heard that Shimoga, Sirsi & Karwar routes were completely spoiled after the rains. Now I think i will take the Sirsi route as its really scenic.
Old 26th September 2009, 19:43   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky View Post
Driving to Goa via Shimoga, Sagar..... so planned to visit Jog Falls.....
Can any one tell me how long should I need to take a detour to Jog? Is it possible that I can cover within 2 hours from NH 206 ?
Hi Smoky

it is only few KMs (3-4 max) detour from NH206 to Jog.
there is an entry fee of RS 20 per car. this includes the parking fee as well
there is good parking place near the viewing point.
this place is opposite to the water fall

then there is a place called British Banglow, which is above the hill from where sharavati river falls down in 4 streams. this place is bit inside. I had gone there few years ago, but do not remember the ditance from NH206.
Old 27th September 2009, 20:37   #755
BHPian

Is the Davangere-Haveri stretch really not drivable?

I have to drive down to Karwar-Goa to attend a family function on Oct-2 at 4-pm, Since i am driving down alone ( will start at 5.00 AM) this time i plan to take Bangalore- Hubli- Karwar route. Just wanted to know is that stretch really that bad? I have seen/driven on the diversions on this stretch in really bad condition couple of years back. How much time will it take between Davangere to Haveri in the present condition?
In may this year when i drove down alone on the same route i reached Hubli at 1.30 PM ,Karwar at 4.00 PM after starting from Bangalore at 7.00 AM.

Your responses will help me in planning the trip
Old 27th September 2009, 21:08   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavj01 View Post
@filcord: how are the roads if i take the hubli-belgaum-amboli-sawantwadi route instead of going via hubli-yellapur-ankola-karwar-south goa-north goa?

EDIT: If i can take the belgaum-khanapur-kankumbi route instead of the above, i seem to save 50kms (courtesy google maps) dunno the condition of the roads though :(
i have done hubli-belgaum-amboli route four months back. It was pretty smooth except for a stretch about 10 km before amboli (belgaum side) which was being re-done. guess it must be finished by now.
Don't try to save 50 km, a bad road will eat up your time, depreciate your car, and raise your bp!

Last edited by filcord : 27th September 2009 at 21:09.
Old 28th September 2009, 12:15   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
i have done hubli-belgaum-amboli route four months back. It was pretty smooth except for a stretch about 10 km before amboli (belgaum side) which was being re-done. guess it must be finished by now.
Don't try to save 50 km, a bad road will eat up your time, depreciate your car, and raise your bp!
Filcord,

Any idea on the condition of the Mapusa- Chorla- Belgaum road and what's the distance between Panaji- Belgaum via Amboli.
Old 28th September 2009, 15:43   #758
BANNED

I have no idea why people are spreading false rumours about NH4 between Chitradurga and Haveri.

Except for a 1/2 km stretch on Davangere bypass, nothing has deteriorated on NH4. I did Bangalore - Panjim on Thursday with the following timings

6:10 am Start from Hebbal
9:10 am Halt at Chitradurga (Naveen Residency on Chitradurga bypass)
9:30 am Start from Chitradurga
12:10 pm - cross Hubli toll plaza
1:30 pm Halt at Sankam Residency Belagavi
2:30 pm Start from Sankam Residency
5:30 pm Arrive at Hotel Park Plaza Panjim

Route: Hebbal - Yelahanka - Doddaballapur - Dabaspete - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Davangere - Harihar - Ranibennur - Haveri - Hubli - Dharwad - Belagavi - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Pernem - Panjim

Amboli Ghat is something else!

Nearing Sawantwadi on the Belagavi - Sawantwadi Road, you will find a sign indicating Panaji 62 km to the left. DO NOT take this road unless you are in an SUV ;-)

The above timings were done by 2 vehicles travelling together (my Safari and a Fiesta- only 2 drivers).
10 hours of driving time from Bangalore to Panjim is not so bad now, is it?

Rajiv-Bang: Belgaum to Panaji via Amboli is approx. 175 km. 3 hours if you push it, 4 hours tops.

Edit: my reference to NH4 is my previous trip done on August 1 in a Ford Fiesta (solo driver)
6:30 am Start from Hebbal
2:15 pm Halt at McDonald's Kolhapur
3:00 pm start from Kolhapur
5:25 pm Arrive at Hotel Sadanand junction on NH4 at Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Problematic areas:

Chitradurga - Haveri around 40km bad roads.
Ravi, when did you last travel on this stretch?

This may seem like a personal attack but I have very little tolerance for false route updates. 40 km of bad roads

Last edited by hrag : 28th September 2009 at 15:52.
Old 28th September 2009, 17:18   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
Filcord,

Any idea on the condition of the Mapusa- Chorla- Belgaum road and what's the distance between Panaji- Belgaum via Amboli.
Forget about the Chorla route,the route does not exist any more,refer to this thread for more updates,the roads have disappeared on this stretch,the safest and in fact the only way to get to Belgaum now a days from any point in Goa looks to be Goa-S'wadi-Amboli-Belgaum.

Belgaum-Amboli would be around 65km-70kms and Amboli to S'wadi around 30kms,S'wadi-Mapusa around 45kms and Mpausa-Panaji is 15kms.So total from Belgaum via Amboli to Panjim would be around 150-160kms.
Old 28th September 2009, 20:39   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post

Route: Hebbal - Yelahanka - Doddaballapur - Dabaspete - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Davangere - Harihar - Ranibennur - Haveri - Hubli - Dharwad - Belagavi - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Pernem - Panjim

Amboli Ghat is something else!

Nearing Sawantwadi on the Belagavi - Sawantwadi Road, you will find a sign indicating Panaji 62 km to the left. DO NOT take this road unless you are in an SUV ;-)
Hrag, Your post is extremely useful for me. I'm trying to get to Goa in the shortest time as possible.

I have 3 questions for you:

1. Why go all the way to Belgaum when one can turn onto NH4A and reach Panjim via Khanapur-Londa? Is this route not good?

2. I'm unable to see the Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi route on mapmyindia.com. Can you please provide specific direction to follow your route?

3. Good/Reasonable fuel stops on your route.

Thanks in advance!
Old 28th September 2009, 20:48   #761
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
Hrag, Your post is extremely useful for me. I'm trying to get to Goa in the shortest time as possible.

I have 3 questions for you:

1. Why go all the way to Belgaum when one can turn onto NH4A and reach Panjim via Khanapur-Londa? Is this route not good?

2. I'm unable to see the Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi route on mapmyindia.com. Can you please provide specific direction to follow your route?

3. Good/Reasonable fuel stops on your route.

Thanks in advance!
1. NH4A was reported in very bad shape, especially near Londa (by people who had actually travelled) - didn't want to risk it. I did spot the Kittur - Khanapur route as I passed by Kittur. Note: Google Maps will not show you the route here!!

2. Try Google Maps - search for "Hotel Sankam Belgaum" and then plot the route from there to Panjim - the route plotted by Google Maps is very accurate and is exactly what I took.

3. There is an IOC bunk right next to Hotel Sankam Residency - I had refulled there and didn't feel the need to refuel until I returned to Belagavi (p.s. I was driving a vehicle with a 65 litre fuel tank ;-)) Having said that, Belagavi - Goa is only ~175 km and there are enough bunks on the way should you feel anxious (not being sarcastic, have felt similarly when driving my car)

Last edited by hrag : 28th September 2009 at 21:02.
Old 28th September 2009, 21:03   #762
BHPian

HRag, Thanks for that info. Google maps helped me understand this route better. Just one more question, what was the total distance on this route?
Old 29th September 2009, 07:51   #763
BANNED

Approx. 175 km from Belagavi to Panjim via Chandgad - Amboli - Sawantwadi. I don't note down distances while driving so might be off the mark slightly. Hebbal to Panjim was approx. 685 km.
Old 29th September 2009, 08:34   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Approx. 175 km from Belagavi to Panjim via Chandgad - Amboli - Sawantwadi. I don't note down distances while driving so might be off the mark slightly. Hebbal to Panjim was approx. 685 km.
ditto same distance from Vasco to bangalore via karwar hubli NH4
" NH4A was reported in very bad shape, especially near Londa (by people who had actually travelled) - didn't want to risk it." 14 Km of very bad road between Londa and KA GA border.
Old 29th September 2009, 22:09   #765
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore Goa Via Mangalore

Hey guys,

I am planning to go to GOA from Bangalore via Mangalore by car. I see that the total distance is 732 from Google Maps. I heard that the journey is through mostly NH roads and this is better than the Shimoga / Angola / Karwar route [better scenic route, food options as well] . I also heard now all the Air buses to Goa is taking this route. Any inputs [Anybody has travelled this route recently?] I had been to Coorg some 2 months back and was not happy with the curves coupled with pot holed roads. Has this been changed? I am planning to go on 2nd October morning!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks