Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2009, 09:36   #736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
How do you get that special permit? I would want to get lot of wine from Goa, not because its cheap, because I love it. Any way out?
U could get a permit from any liquor shop but max 4 bottles per person. Permit would cost you 30 to 50 bucks extra.
Old 25th September 2009, 09:47   #737
BHPian

Hi All,
Finally I have decided my route. Special thanks Ravi Bhat(along with others updating this thread) for his extensive help in deciding the route + Stay
Bangalore-Shimoga->Sirsi((9/26 and 9/27- Saturday and Sunday @ Panchavati)
Sirsi - Varca (Monday to Friday)
Return:
Varca - Mangalore(Yet to decide on where to stay)
Mangalore - Bangalore.
Old 25th September 2009, 10:11   #738
BHPian

@filcord: how are the roads if i take the hubli-belgaum-amboli-sawantwadi route instead of going via hubli-yellapur-ankola-karwar-south goa-north goa?

EDIT: If i can take the belgaum-khanapur-kankumbi route instead of the above, i seem to save 50kms (courtesy google maps) dunno the condition of the roads though :(

Last edited by abhinavj01 : 25th September 2009 at 10:17.
Old 25th September 2009, 10:19   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavj01 View Post
change in plans.... seems like i will be heading to north goa instead of south... my paranoid wife does not want to go via amboli-sawantwadi as she says the ghats are too steep (wonder wat she means by that) :( will have to traverse through whole of goa now
the Amboli ghats are not steep by any stretch of imagination,it has just one bend which would struggle to qualify as a hairpin.Go ahead and take it,you would love the sights,in case you are travelling during daylight,you would get to see the magnificent sights @ the Amboli waterfalls.

If you take the Kankumbi route,you would have to pass through Chorla Ghat,and some other threads report bad roads @ Chorla & plus for newcomers,i wouldnt recommend the chorla route as you would be on an unknown with very less or nil traffic.my guess is that you would be better off sticking to Amboli if you are heading north

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 25th September 2009 at 10:25.
Old 25th September 2009, 10:21   #740
BHPian

thanks ranjit, im planning to leave around 1-2am, so should be hitting the amboli ghats in day light any idea about the other route i mentioned?

If i can take the belgaum-khanapur-kankumbi route instead of the above, i seem to save 50kms (courtesy google maps) dunno the condition of the roads though :(
Old 25th September 2009, 10:43   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavj01 View Post
thanks ranjit, im planning to leave around 1-2am, so should be hitting the amboli ghats in day light any idea about the other route i mentioned?

If i can take the belgaum-khanapur-kankumbi route instead of the above, i seem to save 50kms (courtesy google maps) dunno the condition of the roads though :(
the kankumbi route is via Chorla onwards to Sanquelim,there is a thread currently running on Chorla and from the threads its only reachable via bikes as the route itself has disappeared is what has been reported

read this thread for further info. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ed-advise.html

this leaves you with just two options- via Amboli & the other via Karwar

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 25th September 2009 at 10:49.
Old 25th September 2009, 11:44   #742
xoceter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
How do you get that special permit? I would want to get lot of wine from Goa, not because its cheap, because I love it. Any way out?

oh i don't know about permits. Basically you are taking booze from a state which allows booze, to a state which also does the same (not like Diu to Gujarat). The only permit you need is Rs 50 in the pocket of the policeman if you can't haggle.

As usual it depends on the situation. Traveling with family they might not bother to check you at all, then again might demand more since they'll know that you don't want the harassment.

If they want to fleece money out of you, there's no way in heaven that you can stop them with all your permits directly from the PM of the country.

Old 25th September 2009, 12:05   #743
BANNED

How much more are you guys going to discuss this routes? There are 2 well written travelogues by nnandi and jacs under the travelogue section. Read through those. And one right in thise thread.

There is possibly no perfect route to Goa from Bangalore and since the 3 gentleman have been there only last week there won't be much change either.

If you guys are thinking of saving 50-100 kms and try routes that have not been tried recently then believe me you guys will getting confused even more. Take the frequented routes and plan your total travel time to be between 12-14 hours max.

And about Chorla Ghat - well 5 years back a KSRTC bus was beached due to a crater (pothole gone too big) on this route. Nothings been done since then so take your chances.
Old 25th September 2009, 16:25   #744
BHPian

If you're travelling with family, don't take any risks - go via Karwar. Increase in 50-100kms. shouldn't matter.
Old 25th September 2009, 16:37   #745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
How much more are you guys going to discuss this routes? There are 2 well written travelogues by nnandi and jacs under the travelogue section. Read through those. And one right in thise thread.
thanx Spitfire,this thread really needed this,the discussions and the routes were almost never-ending
Old 25th September 2009, 17:05   #746
BHPian

lol... sorry all.
have finalized on the routes... no more messing around.
Will take belgaum-amboli-sawantwadi if im able to convince my wife, else hubli-yellapur-ankola-karwar
Old 25th September 2009, 21:55   #747

I am planning B'lore - Goa on Oct 7th, this thread helped me a lot to choose B'lore - Tumkur (NH206) - Tiptur - Shimoga - Honavar - Kumta - Ankola - Karwar - Margao - Panjim route........ Thank you all. Can any one tell, if Goa will be crowded during October, just to know, if I need to book room in advance. Planning to stay in Calangute.
Old 25th September 2009, 23:33   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky View Post
I am planning B'lore - Goa on Oct 7th, this thread helped me a lot to choose B'lore - Tumkur (NH206) - Tiptur - Shimoga - Honavar - Kumta - Ankola - Karwar - Margao - Panjim route........ Thank you all. Can any one tell, if Goa will be crowded during October, just to know, if I need to book room in advance. Planning to stay in Calangute.
well the 1st charter flight is landing on the 16th of Oct and that would signal the official beginning of the foreign tourist season,but yes by october,goa would begin to crowd,in fact it was crowded even in september,safer to have a booking,would let you have some time to research on places to stay.
Old 26th September 2009, 02:25   #749

Can I cover Jog Falls

Driving to Goa via Shimoga, Sagar..... so planned to visit Jog Falls.....
Can any one tell me how long should I need to take a detour to Jog? Is it possible that I can cover within 2 hours from NH 206 ?
Old 26th September 2009, 09:02   #750
BHPian

Dandeli - Yellapur - Sirsi - Siddapur - Sagar - Shimoga route is a breeze to drive. just did this on Wednesday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks