Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2009, 22:55   #781

Flooding in North Karnataka

Saw TV New that North Karnataka is flooded due to heavy rains........ any update on Goa weather. Last week many guys had been to Goa, please update on weather in Goa. I'm planning on 7th
Old 2nd October 2009, 13:08   #782
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky View Post
Saw TV New that North Karnataka is flooded due to heavy rains........ any update on Goa weather. Last week many guys had been to Goa, please update on weather in Goa. I'm planning on 7th
Till last night it was raining. In Goa you shouldn't have any problems like you see in Bangalore. They don't build multistorey luxury apartments on drainages yet.
Old 3rd October 2009, 08:43   #783
BANNED

Update: Heavy rains in Goa. Canacona some parts cut off. But rest of the roads free from flooding.

Rainfall has reduced today.
Old 3rd October 2009, 10:25   #784
Senior - BHPian

Looks like NH17 has been cutoff at Canacona and the army has been called in to clear the road

Source:Headlines Today
Old 3rd October 2009, 21:05   #785
Senior - BHPian

A day back I travelled From Bangalore - Magadi - channarayapatna - Arasikere - Shimoga - Near Teerthahalli and stayed in Gabadi River Edge Holiday Home (best homestays we have travelled ever) and today travelled from there to - Konandoor - ribbonpet-Anandapuram-Sagara-Linganamakki Reservoir (water released)-Jog-Honnavara-Kumta-Ankola.

Its raining heavily everywhere and rivers are flooded! Excellant scene to watch. NH17 was closed between Ankola-Karwar but now open. Landslides are there.

About road condition: Near every town from Tumkur to Ankola there is 10km each bad stretch. There is small bad stretch once in 10km throughout the journey.

Overall very very bad roads. To Goa I suggest avoid route via Shimoga its not worth it. I feel NH4 via Hubli-Belgaum or Hubli-Ankola is better option than Shimoga route.

To Goa avoid Shimoga route unless you want to see JOG falls. Its noth worth it.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 4th October 2009, 13:11   #786

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
A day back I travelled From Bangalore - Magadi - channarayapatna - Arasikere - Shimoga - Near Teerthahalli and stayed in Gabadi River Edge Holiday Home (best homestays we have travelled ever) and today travelled from there to - Konandoor - ribbonpet-Anandapuram-Sagara-Linganamakki Reservoir (water released)-Jog-Honnavara-Kumta-Ankola.

Its raining heavily everywhere and rivers are flooded! Excellant scene to watch. NH17 was closed between Ankola-Karwar but now open. Landslides are there.

About road condition: Near every town from Tumkur to Ankola there is 10km each bad stretch. There is small bad stretch once in 10km throughout the journey.

Overall very very bad roads. To Goa I suggest avoid route via Shimoga its not worth it. I feel NH4 via Hubli-Belgaum or Hubli-Ankola is better option than Shimoga route.

To Goa avoid Shimoga route unless you want to see JOG falls. Its noth worth it.
My plan is to visit Jog on the way to Goa, Do you suggest alternate route, may be from Tumkur, Chitradurga, Davangere, Haveri, Sirsi then to Jog. Is this diversion worth ?
Old 4th October 2009, 13:14   #787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Update: Heavy rains in Goa. Canacona some parts cut off. But rest of the roads free from flooding.

Rainfall has reduced today.
Thank you so much for the update Spitfire ! I travel on 7th, may be by that time everything may be alright.
Old 4th October 2009, 15:12   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for the update Spitfire ! I travel on 7th, may be by that time everything may be alright.
NH17 Karwar-Goa & NH63 Hubli-Ankola has been reopen for traffic now.
Old 4th October 2009, 21:36   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
I'm traveling to Goa on 8th - 11th and weather forecast seems ok in Goa, taking cue from your post, I'm also thinking to visit Jog, Karwar on the way to Goa. Smoky, PM your mbl# in case if required.
Old 5th October 2009, 00:14   #790
BHPian

Guys, I returned last night from a failed attempt to reach Goa. My original plan was to take the Bangalore-Belgaum-Amboli-ghats-Goa route. But on reaching Hubli almost everyone suggested that I take the NH63 and go via Karwar. As reported by other members, the Karwar patch on NH17 was closed since Friday morning and didn't open until late on Saturday. I wasted almost 1 full day waiting at Ankola for this route to open. Finally decided to return to Bangalore the Shimoga route as the weather only seemed to deteriorate.

The Chitradurga-Haveri stretch on the NH4 is horrendous. The rains have actually ruined it completely. The potholes have turned into HUGE craters and they are filled with slush. There is no way to judge the depth of these potholes and some are dangerously deep. Saw many trucks stuck or stranded in this stretch. Avoid this route if possible as it slows you down massively. The Shimoga route seems much better than this one. Most of the towns have bad patches but otherwise good route. Near Ankola the roads are extremely bad for about 10Km. But since the traffic is a lot lesser than the other route it makes it easier to navigate.
Old 5th October 2009, 11:30   #791
Senior - BHPian

To visit JOG best route is via Shimoga. To visit Goa If you drive fast in 4 lane and don't care about bad patches stick to nh4. Every route has problem now after heavy rain which shows how badly roads are constructed.

There is not too much of rain but its the way people lead their life and the way government/officers handling the situation. Because of that roads are blocked.

India try find solution after there is problem instead taking precautionary route! I saw so many cars stranded because of pucture feel so bad for Bangalore techies! who wanted to enjoy their long week ends. Felt so sorry for people travelling in bad roads especially in small cars.

Apart from this excellant scenary via Shimoga route make things forget the bad things. Last 3 days I crossed many jungles around Shimoga/Uttaraa kannada districts.

Ravi.
Old 5th October 2009, 19:25   #792
BHPian

Guys, I returned from Karwar yesterday, i would rate this as one of the worst experiences on this stretch, In fact i started on 1st instead of 2nd and that was a saving grace as i was in Karwar avoiding all the major hassels. The Ankola-Karwar stretch was closed for most of 2nd & 3rd Oct due to landslide.
With Karwar flooded could not drive down to Goa as originally planned.
It was not possible to take the car out to the Karwar- Goa road on 2nd as Karwar town road had bonnet deep water. Something i have not seen in my lifetime. Guess it happened due to the heavy downpour coinciding with high tide. It is unusual as the shoreline is hardly 150-200 mtrs from the places flooded.

Whatever happened on 2/3rd was unprecedented, i have not seen it in over 20 yrs i spent in Goa/Karwar.
Old 5th October 2009, 19:28   #793
BHPian

Just today Morning returned from GOA. It was a terrific experience for us, the road is almost gone.
Old 5th October 2009, 19:46   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Just today Morning returned from GOA. It was a terrific experience for us, the road is almost gone.
Did u travel via Karwar or any other route?
Old 5th October 2009, 23:50   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
Did u travel via Karwar or any other route?
Original plan was
Bangalore-Shimoga-Ankola-Karwar-GOA.
Actual was. 100 KM extra with some really bad patch becos of the Mining truck.
Bangalore-Shimoga-Ankola-Yellapur-Dandeli-Ramnagar-Molem-Goa.

From Dandeli there was a route which join to Dandelli too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks