Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2009, 20:19   #916
BHPian

Did bangalore-hubli-belgaum-ambolim-mapusa on the 12/23. roads are pretty goo throught NH4 except for some bad roads after davangeri. started at 5.30am total 665kms to home completed in around 13hrs with one and half hrs of total break time. Thinking of travelling back to BLR on the same route might take more time as need to drive up ambolim ghats might take some time!
Old 2nd January 2010, 00:38   #917
BHPian

update on the road via anmod - I took my "regular" route today (1st Jan) took me 11 hours in the esteem(all night driving) - the route was Bangalore - tumkur - davengere - hubli - kittur - khanapur - londa - ponda .

2 - 3 kms in anmod ghat is really really hell (bits might fall off or break from your car or some bits might start rattling till they are attended to) - you need a little patience and careful driving - but once through it's all decent - the road that joins NH4 to beedi at kittur is a little rough - but driveable (i mean no bits would fall off or break from your car )

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 2nd January 2010 at 00:40.
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:53   #918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
update on the road via anmod - I took my "regular" route today (1st Jan) took me 11 hours in the esteem(all night driving) - the route was Bangalore - tumkur - davengere - hubli - kittur - khanapur - londa - ponda .

2 - 3 kms (more like 14 kms when I went thru last) in anmod ghat is really really hell (bits might fall off or break from your car or some bits might start rattling till they are attended to) - you need a little patience and careful driving - but once through it's all decent - the road that joins NH4 to beedi at kittur is a little (Understatement) rough - but driveable (i mean no bits would fall off or break from your car )
My comments in bold.
Hearsay news is that NH4 has bypassed rannebenur so one would not have to take the tour of that town. can anyone confirm??
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:23   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
My comments in bold.
Hearsay news is that NH4 has bypassed rannebenur so one would not have to take the tour of that town. can anyone confirm??

Please no way just did that route enroute to belgaum and back the road between Haveri and Davanagere is a nightmare, i guess shimoga route will be better
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:24   #920
BHPian

Not sure byepass (Rannebennur) is ready

Quote:
My comments in bold.
I went through that route last week and had to take a detailed tour of the town before jumping onto the main highway. Not sure its ready just as yet.
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:26   #921
Team-BHP Support

It's not yet ready. Rannebennur darshan is still on.
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:33   #922
BHPian

Shimoga route is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
Please no way just did that route enroute to belgaum and back the road between Haveri and Davanagere is a nightmare, i guess shimoga route will be better

Shimoga route is better to Goa. Barring a stretch between Jog and Honnavar for about 15-20 km where the road is bearable but there is a drop on both sides of the road to the shoulder, so its very difficult to pass other cars. You risk falling off about a foot onto the shoulder or go too close to the opposite car. Other than this stretch, rest is by and large fine.

I did Bangalore-Tumkur-Hubli-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-South Goa onward and South Goa-Karwar-Kumta-Honavar-Shimoga-Bangalore on the return (6 day trip from 24th to 29th Dec).

Last edited by subbarp : 2nd January 2010 at 10:36. Reason: additions
Old 2nd January 2010, 23:56   #923
BHPian

Quote:
not yet mate, you still have to do the rannebennur "darshan".

which road do you recommend taking to bangalore ?i don't want to go through anmod as I'm just getting my car serviced and going through anmod means all the rattles would come back
Old 3rd January 2010, 12:22   #924
BHPian

Guys,

Any improvement on Tumkur bypass. The great 13 km stretch which has taken 10 yrs & still counting.
Old 3rd January 2010, 12:39   #925
BHPian

How is the road condition on the bypass at Tumkur on the Shimoga Bangalore route which connects near the Jas road toll booth ? Had a tough time yesterday evening driving through Tumkur City traffic from Kadur to Bangalore.
Old 3rd January 2010, 13:21   #926
BHPian

Pics say it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
Guys,

Any improvement on Tumkur bypass. The great 13 km stretch which has taken 10 yrs & still counting.

Are you referring to the bypass of Tumkur while coming down from Shimoga ? I found it pretty decent and did not see much of Tumkur (of course the road is not done at places but nothing too messy). However its easy to miss the sharp right turn at one of the junctions to get onto this road.

ON a different topic, pasting the messy Tumkur road traffic jam on getting out of NICE road - have a look !! Wonder when this will be fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-trafficjamtumkurroad.jpg  

Last edited by subbarp : 3rd January 2010 at 13:26.
Old 3rd January 2010, 19:50   #927
BHPian

The 13 km stretch of Tumkur bypass i am referring to in my first post above is on NH-4 i.e Bangalore Pune Highway.

The second post is referring to the bypass on Shimoga bangalore route.In fact yesterday on the way back from Kadur, I did see the bypass board in Tumkur on the right hand sight indicating Bang -73 Kms. I gave it a miss as on one my earlier trips i found the road really bad and decided to go thru Tumkur. That was a bad experience. Should have checked earlier.

Last edited by Rajiv-Bang : 3rd January 2010 at 19:53.
Old 4th January 2010, 12:44   #928
BHPian

Got back from Goa last Wednesday. Route was:

Onward journey: Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Haveri - Hubli - Dharwad - Bidi - Molem - Ponda - Panaji.

Return: Panaji - Palolem - Karwar - Honnavar - Jog falls - Shimoga - Tumkur - Bangalore.

Round trip (including driving in Goa) was around 1700km.

Attaching a pic of the road between Kelagiri lake (Dharwad) and junction of SH93 towards Bidi / Khanapur. It's unsurfaced in parts (gravel) but mostly level without too many potholes. NH4A on the other hand is quite a mess.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0375.jpg  

Old 4th January 2010, 16:11   #929

Did the trip from Bangalore to Goa last week. Intially wanted to go to South Goa. Went through
Bangalore-Gubbi-Arsikere- Shimoga- Sagar-Honnavar- Karwar- Goa route. Basically NH 206 and NH17. Pretty good road with not too many bad stretches.

Return was from Ponda through Molem-Bidi-Kittur-Hubli-Haveri-Davangere-Chitradurga-Tumkur-Bangalore.

All through NH4 except for Initial stretch of 150 km. First stretch upon entering Karnataka in Anmod (Uttara Kannada)- about 10 km is terrible. Otherwise good road. Both routes are 600km with about 11 hours driving time + breaks.
Old 11th January 2010, 20:21   #930
BHPian

Hey all, a couple of my buddies and me are planning to go for a road trip to Goa for Sankranti weekend. I have not been to Goa by car ever. My car is a 2002 Zen. Do you think its worth driving to Goa. We plan on leaving bangalore at around 9pm (i work late!). I heard the NH4 is in a pretty bad shape but a Zen could handle it. Do you guys agree?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks