Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2010, 15:24   #976
BHPian

Avoid the Kittur-Bidi route. The road is very bad till you reach Goa Border.
Old 15th February 2010, 10:28   #977
Senior - BHPian

Goa karwar hubli NH4 banglore - Update

Travelled yesterday by above route. few pointers:-
There is a HUGE increase in mining truck activity on NH 63 with traffic snarls 6 km long. blinding dust raised by these trucks.
The 135 km haveri c'durga stretch is worse than it was in december but took 2:20 as usual. very slow work with a lot of single lane traffic.
there is a good eating joint just off the devangere BP 138 km from Hubli BP toll. Genesis resort. good food. had veg pullau 60/-. has rooms 1200/-AC and 1000/- non ac. cottages 2 BR one living room ac fro 2500/-. swimming pool etc.
C'durga BP is progressing fast. so is Tumkur.
the dobbespet dod bellapur road is arrow straight and most of the pot holes have been pached up. took 1 hr from dobbespet to yelahanka, a distance of 62 kms. got stuck in the yelahanka junction.
On the ORR from Hebbal to OMR there used to be a road to via kasturi nagar to ngef. found this blocked and had to go under hanging bridge. (heavy traffic there) make a U turn to get to big bazar OMR.
any bangloreans have alternate way to get to Big B from ORR?
total journey 12:40 driving time for 705 kms
Old 15th February 2010, 11:34   #978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Travelled yesterday by above route. few pointers:-
There is a HUGE increase in mining truck activity on NH 63 with traffic snarls 6 km long. blinding dust raised by these trucks.
The 135 km haveri c'durga stretch is worse than it was in december but took 2:20 as usual. very slow work with a lot of single lane traffic.
there is a good eating joint just off the devangere BP 138 km from Hubli BP toll. Genesis resort. good food. had veg pullau 60/-. has rooms 1200/-AC and 1000/- non ac. cottages 2 BR one living room ac fro 2500/-. swimming pool etc.
C'durga BP is progressing fast. so is Tumkur.
the dobbespet dod bellapur road is arrow straight and most of the pot holes have been pached up. took 1 hr from dobbespet to yelahanka, a distance of 62 kms. got stuck in the yelahanka junction.
On the ORR from Hebbal to OMR there used to be a road to via kasturi nagar to ngef. found this blocked and had to go under hanging bridge. (heavy traffic there) make a U turn to get to big bazar OMR.
any bangloreans have alternate way to get to Big B from ORR?
total journey 12:40 driving time for 705 kms
Kasturinagar Right turn is blocked, But there is new road left side of the flyover which will take directly towards the NGEF. Its much easier than before. Looks like seeing the right turn blocked you took the flyover directly to KR puram side, not seeing newly made road left of the flyover which directly connects to OMR through NGEF.
Old 15th February 2010, 15:57   #979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Kasturinagar Right turn is blocked, But there is new road left side of the flyover which will take directly towards the NGEF. Its much easier than before. Looks like seeing the right turn blocked you took the flyover directly to KR puram side, not seeing newly made road left of the flyover which directly connects to OMR through NGEF.
Thanks. you are right, I didn't notice or look for a road on the left. It was dark and I did what i knew with certainty.
Old 15th February 2010, 18:18   #980

srimath

Avoid the Kittur-Bidi route. The road is very bad till you reach Goa Border.

I did a trip in end Dec/early Jan. And I think if you doing a day trip and going to Ponda/Panaji, the Kittur Bidi route is the best. NH4 is good for most of the journey. The last stretch is bad but other routes- through Belgaum -are round about which add 70-80km more. The Londa route is a strict no no as per the locals.

But night driving is risky since I dont think there is lighting on this stretch. And not too much traffic.

Shimoga- Karwar- Goa route is more scenic.
Old 19th February 2010, 12:24   #981
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore-Hassan-Goa

I am planning for a Goa trip with my friends next week. I have thought of these options

1. Bangalore-Hassan (I have to pick friends here)-Chikmagalur-Lingadahalli-Shimoga-Sagar-Sirsi-Devimane ghat-Mirjan-Karwar-Goa OR

2. Bangalore-Hassan-Chikmagalur-Lingadahalli-Shimoga-Sagar-Siddapura-Bilgi-Kumta-Karwar-Goa

3. Bangalore-Hassan-Chikmagalur-Balehonnur-Agumbe-Kundapura-Honnavar-Karwar-Goa

4. Bangalore-Hassan-Mangalore-Udupi-NH17-Goa (simpler, but lot of traffic)

What are the road conditions on the Devimane ghat & Siddapura-Kumta road? Has anybody traveled on this road lately?

I have to go to Hassan and pick up a few friends there. So, Hassan is a compulsory stop on my itinerary.

Alternate suggestions are also welcome.
Old 20th February 2010, 09:28   #982
Senior - BHPian

Hi Addy

I recently travelled via Tumkur-Shimoga-Honnavar-Karwar-Goa
roads are pretty good.

i would recommend you Bangalore-Hassan-Shimoga-Honnavar-Karwar-Goa route.
Old 20th February 2010, 10:24   #983
J.Ravi

Is the Kalinadi bridge near Karwar open for traffic now? Anybody travelled on that route may kindly confirm.

Old 20th February 2010, 10:29   #984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Is the Kalinadi bridge near Karwar open for traffic now? Anybody travelled on that route may kindly confirm.
Yes it is open,

I travelled to Ponda via Karwar on 29th Jan.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 20th February 2010 at 10:35.
Old 20th February 2010, 10:37   #985
J.Ravi

Thanks, StarVegabond, for the quikest response. I plan to go to Goa on 27 Feb by NH 206/17 route.

Old 20th February 2010, 10:39   #986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Thanks, StarVegabond, for the quikest response. I plan to go to Goa on 27 Feb by NH 206/17 route.
Refer to the post #967 in this thread for details of my trip and road conditions.
Old 20th February 2010, 10:40   #987
BHPian

Yes the Kalinadi Bridge was reopened on Jan 15th itself.

Also I had travelled to Goa on Jan 9th from Bangalore and took the Tumkur > Shimoga > Honavar > Karwar Route. The roads are really good and we did not have any problems anywhere.

Places to stop over for food and stay would be Shimoga, Honnavar or Karwar. Time required would be total of 12 hours from Bangalore to Goa with breaks for breakfast and lunch.

Have a nice and safe journey.
Old 20th February 2010, 11:33   #988
J.Ravi

Thanks, bsanjayrao, for kind advice.

Old 22nd February 2010, 09:34   #989
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Star & sanjayrao. Will be heading out this weekend and will update once I come back.
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:57   #990
BHPian

Guys, try Belgaum-Sawantwadi-Goa route, the roads are good and scenic. You will also hit a beauitiful Amboli ghat with a waterfall adjacent to the road. Simply fantastic. Ideal if you are on your way to vacation.

You enter Goa from Northern end (Mapusa, Panjim, Vasco, Margao) as against when you enter from Karwar (Margao first). I used to drive on NH4A before but the roads are pathetic, I started using Sawantwadi road & am addicted to it. It's basically SH121 & then join NH17 route.

Last edited by viveklk : 23rd February 2010 at 20:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks