Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2008, 20:19   #226
Senior - BHPian

NH17 between Karwar and Madgaon is closed and work is on to restore it. There are also reports thatt there was a blockade on the Londa-Ponda road which closes the Dharwad/Belgaum-Goa road. The road from the North is also closed between Savantwadi and Banda. All this means that Goa was cut off by road as of today morning. Heavy rains continue in Goa. Keep monitoring road conditions and weather reports before you set off on your drive to Goa.
Old 11th August 2008, 22:15   #227
Senior - BHPian

I came to know few minutes back heavy rain resulted flood across NH17 mainly where big rivers flow in Karwar, Ankola, Kumta, Honnavar, Bhatkal, Kundapoor, udupi. Had this highway in great condition I would loved to drive this stretch this time.

NH63 between hubli - yellapur - ankola has few issues with over flowing rivers and cars, bikes not allowed.

Both sides of NH17 we can see just river nothing else! If sam rain continues next 1 week expect JOG will be in full swing since reservoir will be filled.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 11th August 2008, 22:30   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I came to know few minutes back heavy rain resulted flood across NH17 mainly where big rivers flow in Karwar, Ankola, Kumta, Honnavar, Bhatkal, Kundapoor, udupi. Had this highway in great condition I would loved to drive this stretch this time.

NH63 between hubli - yellapur - ankola has few issues with over flowing rivers and cars, bikes not allowed.

Both sides of NH17 we can see just river nothing else! If sam rain continues next 1 week expect JOG will be in full swing since reservoir will be filled.

Regards,

Ravi.
Nice, yea heard the same and its pouring heavily in Mangalore and Udupi for last 2 days... am sure marvanthe would be nice now...

guess i will head out there soon
Old 12th August 2008, 11:18   #229
BHPian

I'm also heading for goa on thursday from Bangalore. Please keep updating this post on the latest road condition and which route is currently best to take.
Old 13th August 2008, 15:11   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
NH17 between Karwar and Madgaon is closed and work is on to restore it. There are also reports thatt there was a blockade on the Londa-Ponda road which closes the Dharwad/Belgaum-Goa road. The road from the North is also closed between Savantwadi and Banda. All this means that Goa was cut off by road as of today morning. Heavy rains continue in Goa. Keep monitoring road conditions and weather reports before you set off on your drive to Goa.
Is NH17 between Karwar and Madgaon still blocked? I want to take the bangalore - Haveri - Sirsi - Mirajan - Karwar - Panjim route. Is it okay to go ahead with this route?
Old 13th August 2008, 15:35   #231
Senior - BHPian

I read today that the Canacona-Madgaon (part of Karwar-Goa) road is restored. And rains have also reduced.
Old 13th August 2008, 17:54   #232
BHPian

Good to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I read today that the Canacona-Madgaon (part of Karwar-Goa) road is restored. And rains have also reduced.
Confirmed! friends stayed over at Cancona for a day and reached Madgoan - Baga today evening. Say the road is drivable now and rains are the same as Bangalore - Intermittent

They went through chitradurga - hubli - karwar and had no problems at all within the last two days. They have an Innova and a swift.
Old 14th August 2008, 12:47   #233
BHPian

Hi,
I did Bangalore -Goa yesterday.I took the NH4 to Hubli & then onto Ankola (NH63) & then NH17 to Goa.I covered 640 km to Colva beach(South Goa) in 11.5 hrs with 3 breaks.Started at 7.30 a.m & reached at 7 p.m
Bangalore-Chitradurga: excellent road all thro except Tumkur BP.
Chitradurga-Haveri: Bad to very bad roads specially near the BPs.Davangere-Harihar BP is in a complete mess,thanks to heavy rains.Cars with low GC were found struggling.
Haveri-Hubli: excellent
Hubli-Yellapur:very good.Lot of unmarked humps.
Yellapur-NH17 junction: bad to very bad with lot of surprise potholes.
NH17 jn-Goa border:Good to very good.Relief from potholes,inspite of all the rains & heavy traffic.
Goa border-Margao: Good to bad to treacherous.Again,cars with low GC were found struggling as most potholes are filled with water.
Will update next week on Goa-Bombay.
Regards,
Chandan
Old 14th August 2008, 22:14   #234
Senior - BHPian

I am posting on behalf of brtirthankar, he left bangalore for GOA today around 4pm and now he crossed Chitradiurga, 2 hours delay in his journey because of heavy traffic he might have faced to get out of Bangalore.

Heavy raining so less traffic but roads are not in great condition becasue of rains.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 26th August 2008, 17:12   #235
BHPian

Hi,

Any update on latest road conditionns between Bangalore to Goa, I am travelling to Goa on 3rd September by Honda City, Which is the best route to take to Goa from Bangalore?

Regards
Kishore
Old 26th August 2008, 17:14   #236
BHPian

Hi,

How is the latest road condition between Bangalore to Goa? I am travelling on 3rd Sep by Honda City, Which route should I take?

Regards
Kishore
Old 26th August 2008, 18:14   #237
BHPian

Take the Tumkur - Chitradurga - Haveri - Hubli - Ankola - Karwar - Goa route. It is the best now and you can easily reach in 12-13 hours depending on weather conditions and traffic.

The road condition is excellent but just avoid the Hubli - Karwar stretch at night as the Manganese trucks use them at night and you would be in a very bad Jam.

Have a safe trip.
Old 26th August 2008, 18:47   #238
Senior - BHPian

I second what corsalove says. I heard after august rains road between chitradurga - Haveri has some issues. At least 30km bad road.

Alternative best route is bangalore - tumkur - shimoga - sagar - talguppa - siddapur - sirsi - devimane ghat - mirjan - ankola - karwar - goa which is scenic and has maximum 30km as bad stretch. Bad stretches 15km between Bangalore - Shimoga. 2 diversions of 400mtrs. between talguppa and siddapura. 15km between Mirjan - Karwar. I too heard nh17 in goa also has some potholes.

I suggest you try both the routes based on timings you tavel. May be you would be interested to drop into JOG Falls because 2 days heavy rains reservoir will get full and water would be released.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 26th August 2008, 20:13   #239
BHPian

I did Bangalore-Hubli-Karwar-Margao on 13th august.As of now,I think this is the best route.I did the 640km stretch in 11.5 hrs with two breaks.
Old 26th August 2008, 20:19   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
I did Bangalore-Hubli-Karwar-Margao on 13th august.As of now,I think this is the best route.I did the 640km stretch in 11.5 hrs with two breaks.
Exactly what my friends did in a swift at the start of this month. Looking at the timing, I dont think there is any other route to beat it cause the Bhatkal - karwar and the mirjan - karwar route both are in not-that-good shape.

I would take the Hubli - Karwar route anyday and cross the haveri bad stretch (which is less in distance) with ease.

Go Goa

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks