Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2008, 17:14   #271
BHPian

The Hubli-Ankola stretch is pretty manageable. Had been to Goa From Chennai last month and took that route from bangy. Did the journey in a santro and the roads were decent.
Old 22nd September 2008, 17:39   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
The Hubli-Ankola stretch is pretty manageable. Had been to Goa From Chennai last month and took that route from bangy. Did the journey in a santro and the roads were decent.
Hi aditya, how much time did you take from Chennai to Hubli, I am planning to drive down to Mahableshwar in the 1st week of October would help me in planning also let me know the sort of speeds you do in your santro, I drive a Wagon R
Old 22nd September 2008, 19:49   #273
Senior - BHPian

hi rameshp,

I suggest try any of the routes:

1. Bangalore - Chitradurga - hubli - yellapur - karwar - Goa.
2. Bangalore - Chitradurga - hubli - belgaum - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa.
3. Bangalore - Chitradurga - haveri - sirsi - devimane ghat - mirjan - ankola - karwar - goa.

route 1 and 2 (best routes) would take similar time and route 1 might take 1 hour extra because devimane ghat has 40km curvy good roads.

I feel oct 3rd afternoon I am too travelling in devimane ghat from Kumta to Sirsi

hi saurabhdaga, I feel hubli - yellapur - ankola is quiet good condition because alternate route sirsi is not as good as Haveri - Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola. via hubli one can save time if less mines lorries travel between hubli - yellapur - ankola. I suggest in one of the forward and while coming back try Sawantwadi - Amboli - Belgaum route its very nice! worth a drive.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 22nd September 2008, 20:14   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
hi rameshp,

3. Bangalore - Chitradurga - haveri - sirsi - devimane ghat - mirjan - ankola - karwar - goa.
Ravi thanks for the routes.
Is route 3 the best one to have a stop at Yaana on the way to Goa.
Haveri Sirsi road is it doable or is it really bad?
Is route 2 also scenic, or is it a fast and better road?
How is NH17 from ankola till goa? Is it also ok down south till murdeshwar?
Old 22nd September 2008, 22:22   #275
Senior - BHPian

Hi laluks,

To visit Yaana which is around 50km from Sirsi you need to spend at least 5 hours off highway. You can travel Sirsi - Yaana - Gokarna cross - Ankola - Karwar but road between Yaana and gokarna cross needs at least Tata Safari /Omni because I heard road is horrible for at least 20km.

Sirsi to yaana is quiet decent road. Last 3 km you might have to walk since I doubt by this time motorable road is ready till Yaana but its on the way very soon. I saw road construction work 6months back when I visited. I suggest you stay in Sirsi and next day visit Yaana and proceed to Goa and can reach goa by evening.

Haveri to Sirsi road is quiet good all potholes are filled. so road is just plain enough to drive any car. From Mirjan - Ankola NH17 is not so good but quiet ok. Ankola - Karwar - Goa road is decent because my Uncles reached goa airport - Ankola couple of days back within 3 and half hours 150km.

I know road from Ankola - Kumta - Honnavar - Murdeshwara is not good at all, at least half of it very bad.

Route 2 should be fastest route although route 1 is also good. I feel like all these routes might end dup with same time.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 22nd September 2008 at 22:24.
Old 23rd September 2008, 20:11   #276

Thanks Ravi.

Thanks for the info on the route to Goa.

Could you help me with the route update from Gokarna to Shimoga? I would be coming by this route on my way back.

regards,
Ramesh

Quote:
hi rameshp,

route 1 and 2 (best routes) would take similar time and route 1 might take 1 hour extra because devimane ghat has 40km curvy good roads.

I feel oct 3rd afternoon I am too travelling in devimane ghat from Kumta to Sirsi

hi saurabhdaga, I feel hubli - yellapur - ankola is quiet good condition because alternate route sirsi is not as good as Haveri - Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola. via hubli one can save time if less mines lorries travel between hubli - yellapur - ankola. I suggest in one of the forward and while coming back try Sawantwadi - Amboli - Belgaum route its very nice! worth a drive.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 23rd September 2008, 20:51   #277
BHPian

Bangalore - Goa

Eeks, a Omni in the off-road. That's something to really imagine out of box. Well coming to the route, the route to belgaum and then through the amboli would be good I believe, since the road is much better is what has been heard.
Old 24th September 2008, 08:59   #278
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ramesh,

Gokarna to Shimoga try any of the routes:

1. Gokarna - Mirjan - Devimane ghat - Sirsi - Siddapur - Talguppa - Sagar - Shimoga: I suggest you take this route.

2. Gokarna - Mirjan - Kumta - Honnavar - Gersoppa - Jog - Talguppa - Sagar - Shimoga

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 25th September 2008, 08:04   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi laluks,

To visit Yaana which is around 50km from Sirsi you need to spend at least 5 hours off highway. You can travel Sirsi - Yaana - Gokarna cross - Ankola - Karwar but road between Yaana and gokarna cross needs at least Tata Safari /Omni because I heard road is horrible for at least 20km.

Sirsi to yaana is quiet decent road. Last 3 km you might have to walk since I doubt by this time motorable road is ready till Yaana but its on the way very soon. I saw road construction work 6months back when I visited. I suggest you stay in Sirsi and next day visit Yaana and proceed to Goa and can reach goa by evening.

Haveri to Sirsi road is quiet good all potholes are filled. so road is just plain enough to drive any car. From Mirjan - Ankola NH17 is not so good but quiet ok. Ankola - Karwar - Goa road is decent because my Uncles reached goa airport - Ankola couple of days back within 3 and half hours 150km.

I know road from Ankola - Kumta - Honnavar - Murdeshwara is not good at all, at least half of it very bad.

Route 2 should be fastest route although route 1 is also good. I feel like all these routes might end dup with same time.

Regards,

Ravi.
Thanks Ravi.

My plan then would be to take Haveri Sirsi Mirjan Ankola Karwar Goa. On return I plan to take amboli Sawantwadi, as you said its worth a drive.

I'll stay around Sirsi then see yaana and others around then move on to Goa.

Since yaana gokarna cross is bad, is it better then to come back from Yaana to Sirsi and continue through Devimane Ghat road to Mirjan - Ankola -Karwar -Goa, though its longer? I might be taking my Civic since its a long journey from home. I have once taken civic to shivanasamudra from mysore. Oh my god! 50 kms of mess - took 3 hours. Something Similar? Its a big No :(

As you said, I guess taking the Yaana Cross from Sirsi side would be better than the one from Kumta side. Please advice. Prefer the less walking route.

Offtopic - Heard a lot about leeches at yaana. Any info, I have my kids with me. Any precautions required.

Ravi, Honne mardu, Linganamakki - is it worth a visit. Is it motorable? Completely ignorant. please advice.
Old 25th September 2008, 12:15   #280
Senior - BHPian

Hi laluks,

Your plan is perfect! Since rain stopped expect less leeches.

1. If you plan Yaana and stay in Sirsi I suggest try Panchavati or Madhuvana. Other hotels are Shivaani and Samrat.

2. Visiting Yaana from Sirsi is worth than Kumta side, you are right. Last 3 km road might have not ready still and its not possible to take civic, my update is based on road building work was going in March 2008 when I last visited. In yaana itself ask locals how is road and what all vehicle go, ask them If small vehicles can go (any Sedan is small car there not like Jeep) or only Jeep or truck can go.

3. For Yaana you can try 2 routes:

Sirsi - HegdeKatta cross turn right Y junction in Kumta road within 5km from Sirsi - HegdeKatta - Matti Gatta - Yaana

or

Sirsi - take right to Manjaguni in Kumta road within 20km you will find - Manjaguni - Matti Gatta - Yaana.

From Yaana If you get confidence try directly Gokarna cross and procced in NH17.

I feel Yaana is better than linganamakki area but if it rains heavily Yaana is impossible. You will be scared to walk in forest

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 30th September 2008, 17:54   #281
BHPian

Quote:
hi rameshp,

Regards,

Ravi.

I am planning to travel Bangalore- Goa day after tomorrow but am still not sure which is the best route to take. Is the time tried and tested bangalore - hubli-yelapur-karwar the best option ?

From all the different views on this thread it is not clear

Thanks

Deepak
Old 30th September 2008, 21:20   #282
Senior - BHPian

Try both the routes If you do round trip.

1. Bangalore - Chitradurga - hubli - yellapur - karwar - Goa: Take this route while going. If you drive just from Bangalore - Goa then take this route.

2. Bangalore - Chitradurga - hubli - belgaum - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa: Take this while coming back from Goa. Make sure you do this Amboli - Sawantwadi area in day time because of lot of forest area you need to cross so it might be risky in night. Also If you have time leave Goa in teh morning and do site seeing around Amboli - Sawantwadi and reach Belgaum by evening and stay there and proceed next day to Bangalore.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 1st October 2008, 03:01   #283
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to go to Karwar/Gokarna for this long weekend from Bangalore. From Haveri, which route is recommended ?

1. Haveri - Sirsi - Devimane - Ankola - Karwar
2. Haveri - Hubbali - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar

Mostly i will be doing in the night in my Cedia
Old 1st October 2008, 08:51   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I am planning to go to Karwar/Gokarna for this long weekend from Bangalore. From Haveri, which route is recommended ?

1. Haveri - Sirsi - Devimane - Ankola - Karwar
THis is the route !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
2. Haveri - Hubbali - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar

Mostly i will be doing in the night in my Cedia
Never ever venture in NH63 at night time. That is the time for the mining trucks and you will get stuck big time. Daytime and mornings are the best time for this route.

Abhi
Old 1st October 2008, 11:09   #285
BHPian

Me and a group of friends are leaving for Goa tonite and route we plan to take is the one we always took whenever we drove to Goa, and its Bangalore - Tumkur - Shimoga, Honnavar - Karwar - Goa, the distance is approx 620 km, by far the shortest and with the least traffic, we manage to get to Panjim in 10 max 11 hours of driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks