Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2008, 00:30   #121
BHPian

Bangalore Goa..

itwasntme - The Hubli- Yellapur- Karwar route is supposed to be good but the haveri sirsi also is manageble.

Night is safe travel but some patches along the NH 4 are bit concerning and also the sirsi road does not have that much of traffic. You might take longer then the time that you have anticipated..

Beware of the Davangere- Harihar bypass road as there is no road there Cant even see the tar for an inch.

Have a safe one.
Old 12th January 2008, 10:06   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
itwasntme : What are the pros (less traffic) and cons (safety/visibility issues) of this plan?

Also, keeping in mind the night driving, should I take the Shimoga > Honnavar or Haveri>Sirsi or Hubli>Yellapur or the Belgaum route?
Belgaum route - No.

Shimoga-Honnavar - bad stretches near Shimoga & a little near Honnavar.

NH-4: Chitradurga & Tumkur by-pass sections are bad. Davangere-Harihar by-pass upto Haveri (about 80-90 km) is in-complete. It's stil the old un-divided NH-4, with worn-out surface. BLR-Davangere & Haveri-Hubli is good.

Avoid night drive on Hubli-Karwar stretch. That section will be loaded with ore laden trucks at night, & early morning.

Suggest you avoid ghats at night (After Shimoga, upto Honnavar).
Old 12th January 2008, 12:32   #123
Senior - BHPian

I second what condor says, I recently travelled in these roads 2 weeks back. I heard in 2 months they will complete reparing the roads.

NH 17 they repaired it now. Road is not smooth but better compared september 2007 status. Quality of work being done is very bad so this won't last long.

If its night driving blre - haveri - sirsi - mirjan - ankola - goa is better because only forest area is sirsi to kumta which is quiet
safe compared to other ghat sections.

But If you ask me night driving is not worth do day driving and by March end I am sure road condition will be much better so plan to take blre -> hubli -> belgaum -> goa (day drive will be in hot weather condition) or blre - shimoga -> honnavar -> ankola -> goa (this is best route for Summer).

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 12th January 2008 at 12:38.
Old 12th January 2008, 14:08   #124
Senior - BHPian

Recently my friend had taken a cab from Hubli to Gokarna, she said the road was being tarred and they dint have any issues reaching gokarna! so i think the road conditions are getting better?

Any updates on this?? is NH 17 back on track or on the way???

Can anyone throw more light on this???
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:59   #125
BHPian

Team,

I am planning to go to devbagh from bangalore on the 1st weekend of Feb. Given the updates wht are the recommended routes and the estimate times from bangalore?

Thanks and regards
Old 22nd January 2008, 13:12   #126
BHPian

I took Bangalore-Tumkur-Shimoga-Sagar-Sirsi-Mirjan-Karwar route... driving time 9 and half hours excluding the breaks... started from Bangalore 4:15 in the morning...
Old 24th January 2008, 10:43   #127
Senior - BHPian

Isnt this the shortest route via Davanagere - Hubli. Others are longer by atleast 30-40 Kms and more.

What was the total time taken for you ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
I took Bangalore-Tumkur-Shimoga-Sagar-Sirsi-Mirjan-Karwar route... driving time 9 and half hours excluding the breaks... started from Bangalore 4:15 in the morning...
Old 24th January 2008, 22:08   #128
BHPian

Goa Route

Dadu: That is the shortest route but the ponda-alnavar route after hubli-dharwad is for iron ore trucks only. Could try with a MM 540 though.

This is a sure no no for anyone.
Old 25th January 2008, 02:59   #129
BHPian

Bangalore - Goa Road Map?

Hi,

I plan to drive down tfrom Bangalore to Goa on the 8th of Feb for All india Dog show and also the Carnivalr. Wanted to check if anyone has done this route recently and what is the condition the road and the route map?
Old 25th January 2008, 07:59   #130
BANNED

there already are some threads on this topic. a search should help you.

National Highway 17, Road Map, Road map Delhi to Atari, NH 17, Distance map from Delhi To Atari is a good place to start for a road map.

& Btw... when is the dog show ?
Old 25th January 2008, 10:13   #131
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info, good to know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
Dadu: That is the shortest route but the ponda-alnavar route after hubli-dharwad is for iron ore trucks only. Could try with a MM 540 though.

This is a sure no no for anyone.
Old 25th January 2008, 11:16   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper316 View Post
Hi,

I plan to drive down tfrom Bangalore to Goa on the 8th of Feb for All india Dog show and also the Carnivalr. Wanted to check if anyone has done this route recently and what is the condition the road and the route map?
I might also be driving down on the 8th. Planning to take the Bangalore - Haveri(NH4) - Sirsi (SH2) - Mirjan - Karwar (NH17) route. The easiest way is to use google maps or buy a good Karnataka road map from any bookstore.
Old 27th January 2008, 21:35   #133
Senior - BHPian

My uncle has travelled between Kumta and Mangalore in NH17 on the way to Kukke Subramanya, they told me it took 9 hours to reach and road is not good with rough surface although eye washing patch work is done but its of no use. He says its not like usual NH17 he has seen from last 30 years.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 11th March 2008, 15:39   #134
BANNED

Driving down to Panjim on the 15th. Vehicle Mahindra Bolero, so bad roads bring them on

Anyone driven down recently? if yes whats the condition of the best route?

Someone told me take NH4 upto Hubli - Kittur - Bidi - Khanapur - Londa - Anmod Ghat(has been repaired but the mining trucks are still there) - Mollem - Ponda - Panaji.

Anyone taken this route?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th March 2008, 15:52   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Someone told me take NH4 upto Hubli - Kittur - Bidi - Khanapur - Londa - Anmod Ghat(has been repaired but the mining trucks are still there) - Mollem - Ponda - Panaji.
Since you are in Bolero, suggest you to take this route and give an update. NH4A was in a pathetic state since last 2-3 years. may be you can give a better update.
Why take khanapur route when you can divert from Dharwad directly to Londa via Alnavar.

Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks