Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2008, 22:07   #151
BHPian

@abhinav : i may be late and you may not see my post but whatever you do avoid going from belgaum to goa.the road sucks big time especially on the ghats as soon as you enter karnataka border.i would suggest you take the route from karwar.i had taken route no 3 as you have mentioned and the only bad patch of road i encountered was about 30kms before shimoga.apart from that the roads were smooth mostly throughout.i did my trip during this new year so really dont know the status now.
Old 20th March 2008, 10:37   #152
BHPian

There seems to have been some improvement on the Belgaum-Goa route via NH4A. Read this link -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...stretch-2.html
Old 20th March 2008, 13:32   #153

Wow. That is good news if NH4A has improved. When I went last year it was horrible. Parts of the road you had to get out of the car and figure out a way to cross without hitting the axle. Craters larger than car clearances there.
Old 20th March 2008, 14:49   #154
Senior - BHPian

Good news is that even shimoga road is motorable, also Nh17 condintion has improved. some respite!
Old 21st March 2008, 00:49   #155
BANNED

Drove down to Goa on the 15th via the Kittur - Khanapur route. Distance uptil Panaji 630 kms, time 11 hours 15 mins with breakfast, lunch and snack breaks. Vehicle - Bolero, Fuel - 48 litres.

The road from Kittur to Khanapur is bad for around 14 kms. After that right from Khanapur to Londa to Mollem is a decent stretch, the road is being tarred and you can see the work going on. The Anmod Ghat route has been repaired and is a breeze to drive. Try and reach the Anmod Ghat by lunch time, the mining trucks are off the road and you can make some quick progress.

I encountered heavy rain while coming down the Anmod Ghat, speed dropped down to 20kmph due to visibility and some crazily driven mining trucks.

Overall a good route to take, didnt try the Alnavar route as some locals advised me not too.
Old 23rd March 2008, 19:31   #156
Senior - BHPian

Today I travelled between Sirsi - Bangalore.

Lot of improvement I can see all potholes are filled hardly any bad stretches I can see maximum 15 km bad road between Haveri and Bangalore. There are still few diversions but its worth travelling in NH4 now I enjoyed the drive. Still another 40km 4 laning work has to be completed mainly railway crossing, bridge etc.

Left Haveri at 9AM and reached Nelmangala by 2:30PM with 1 hour break.

It rained heavily for 2 hours between Sirsi - Davengere out of 4 hours drive.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 23rd March 2008 at 19:42.
Old 24th March 2008, 10:34   #157
BANNED

Yep NH4 is become much better, the bad stretch has been tarred but not a very good job, expect it to deteriorate once the rains are back. Other then that the bridges are still not complete.

I completed the Bangalore - Hubli distance in 7 hours with couple of breaks inbetween.
Old 24th March 2008, 18:30   #158
Senior - BHPian

Just back from the trip. Took the Shimoga - Karvar route. (12 Hours including breaks)
Except for some bad stretch between Terekere and Bhadravathi the route is very good.
The best part is the less traffic in this route. But night driving would be a pain with narrow roads and almost everyone driving with hi-beam on.

- Jag
Old 24th March 2008, 18:56   #159
Senior - BHPian

Good.. Jaguar hows the road condition from Honnavara till Goa?? NH 17 was beaten up few months back? am sure they would have fixed it by now??
Old 24th March 2008, 19:41   #160
Senior - BHPian

After patch up work they have put tarr as well now in NH17 in most of the places. I feel in couple of months entire NH17 will be smooth but it already started raining so except again it will deteriorate because quality is very poor. When I asked local leaders they say money being sanctioned is too less to do quality work.

I feel so bad after paying proper tax year after year.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 25th March 2008, 12:54   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Good.. Jaguar hows the road condition from Honnavara till Goa?? NH 17 was beaten up few months back? am sure they would have fixed it by now??
Honnavara to Goa is pretty OK. Was able to cover the 150+ Km stretch in about 3 hours, that too after slowing down in the Karwar region to soak in the great views.
Photography is prohibited in the Karwar Naval region. So missed out some wonderful photo-op

- Jag
Old 10th April 2008, 12:21   #162

Best route from Bangalore to Goa

Planning a trip to Bangalore- Goa tomorrow. Any suggestions on what is the best route now. I found some mentions which are few months old. Hence posting this request to understand if someone has more recent experience. I have conflicting informations on the status of the road.

Any suggestions would be of great help.

Raj
Old 10th April 2008, 19:18   #163
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you go by NH4 thats chitradurga route.

Ravi.
Old 21st April 2008, 10:08   #164
Senior - BHPian

Going to Dhramasthala from Bangalore on NH48

Hi Guys,

I joined this group today only and finding very valuable information shared. One query on the road condition of NH48 from Bangalore-Mangalore. I want to visit Dharmasthala with my parents around 10th May 2008. I will be continuing to Goa after that via Mangalore. Planning to stay at Dharmasthala for a day and then continue to Mangalore.
Has anybody travelled on this road recently?let me know this info. I have a small Santro car capable to carry 4 people with comfort (depending on road condition).
Old 21st April 2008, 13:40   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Hi Has anybody travelled on this road recently?let me know this info. I have a small Santro car capable to carry 4 people with comfort (depending on road condition).
Read this thread , has info that you would need.

Most Viewed