Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2009, 10:24   #901
Senior - BHPian

Avoid Londa-Molem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Hi,
Headed from Bangalore currently halting at Belgaum for a couple of days, will leave for Goa on the 26th morning.

On the routes I am unable to find the "Belgaum > Amboli >Sawantwadi route" on mapmyindia.com. Only the Belgaum Londa Goa route is displayed.

Could anyone please provide directions on how to take the Sawantwadi route ?
Also anyone who took the Londa route recently, does the ghat section have tar on the roads or just red mud with huge craters ?

-Fillmore
Londa-Molem stretch is still moon-craeters,do not take that stretch yet,this has been reported by somebody who drove the stretch on 10th Dec,2009.
Old 24th December 2009, 10:44   #902
BHPian

Hubli to South Vs. North Goa difference

I will be driving from Hubli to South Goa on 26th Dec.

How much of an additional time will it take via
1. Belgaum, Amboli, Sawantwadi, North Goa, Madgaon
Vs.
2. Ankola, Karwar, Madgaon ?

My assessment is it will take 5 hours on route#1 and 4 hours on route#2. Any advise on the same ?

Also any good stopovers (Food, site-seeing, waterfalls etc.) on either of these 2 routes will be appreciated.

thanks,
Subbarp
Old 24th December 2009, 10:54   #903
BHPian

Ok the hubli-karwar-goa road is in pretty good shape!! got it from a friend who went yesterday!! but got stuck in a 2 hour jam in karwar thanks to the trucks!!
Old 24th December 2009, 11:06   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
I will be driving from Hubli to South Goa on 26th Dec.

How much of an additional time will it take via
1. Belgaum, Amboli, Sawantwadi, North Goa, Madgaon
Vs.
2. Ankola, Karwar, Madgaon ?

My assessment is it will take 5 hours on route#1 and 4 hours on route#2. Any advise on the same ?

Also any good stopovers (Food, site-seeing, waterfalls etc.) on either of these 2 routes will be appreciated.

thanks,
Subbarp
hubli belgaum south goa should take 5:30 or more depending on traffic. via karwar 4 hrs is about it. but please beware of rash truck drivers on the hubli karwar road.
Old 24th December 2009, 11:08   #905
BHPian

I think Bangalore-Tumkur-Tiptur-Shimoga-jog-honnavar-Karwar is better route. After Shimoga you can virtually see no vehicles till Honavar. I travelled in this route 3 months back in my Zen, reached Bagha beach in Goa in 12 hours, Wife driving around at around 40-60kmph for two hours.
Old 24th December 2009, 11:50   #906
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs. Unfortunately no one has told me which the most scenic route is. I don't mind driving upto fifteen hours and would like to make the best of the journey since we are spending quite a bit on a rather ordinary vehicle. Thanks
Old 24th December 2009, 12:19   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpbreather View Post
Thanks for your inputs. Unfortunately no one has told me which the most scenic route is. I don't mind driving upto fifteen hours and would like to make the best of the journey since we are spending quite a bit on a rather ordinary vehicle. Thanks
Most scenic is ofcourse Shimoga-Honavar route, You can drive through thick forest around Jog fall and maybe even just have a peep at jog falls for 30 mins, and you will have a great view point soon after jog falls in the left side of the road, dont miss it, you can see the great scenic valley. See the attached photo, got this photo on my 2006 Goa trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-goa_0193.jpg  

Last edited by shamanth : 24th December 2009 at 12:23.
Old 24th December 2009, 16:57   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I think Bangalore-Tumkur-Tiptur-Shimoga-jog-honnavar-Karwar is better route. After Shimoga you can virtually see no vehicles till Honavar. I travelled in this route 3 months back in my Zen, reached Bagha beach in Goa in 12 hours, Wife driving around at around 40-60kmph for two hours.
Ok guys finally frozen on this route. Seems like it should take just about the same time in an indica. What's a good time to leave so that we have time to tour a little of jog and the valley etc. We will stop for meals on the way. Any last minute advice would help. We wish to arrive on time for a great Saturday night in Goa. Some pre Sunburn fun I could say. I only wish I was doing this trip in my w124. I just think it's worth driving her in the mess Goa is In during this time of the year. Anymore advice will help. Thanks.
Old 24th December 2009, 20:30   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
at belgaum get off nh4 go past hotel sankam residency (which is a nice R&R place) go straight through the town past rani chennama circle. (she sits on a horse with the head pointing towards you as you come from nh4) road thereafter is pretty simple to follow without major turn offs. BTW hubli karwar road is very good right upto goa.
Thanks goandude, Will take this route.
Belgaum > Sawanthwadi > Banda > Pernem > Mapusa > Panaji > Margao
194km

-Fillmore.

Last edited by Fillmore : 24th December 2009 at 20:45.
Old 24th December 2009, 21:20   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Thanks goandude, Will take this route.
Belgaum > Sawanthwadi > Banda > Pernem > Mapusa > Panaji > Margao
194km

-Fillmore.
thats a really long route.. it will increase your travel time by atleast an hour but one can safely travel at 100+ speeds from Banda as the roads are in top condition since they are recently hotmixed. once stretch though in good condition(pernem onwards) is being hotmixed again.

How do I know : I work for the PWD(National Highways) n presently supervising the hotmix work along with my collegue
Old 25th December 2009, 14:32   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent009 View Post
How do I know : I work for the PWD(National Highways) n presently supervising the hotmix work along with my collegue
Please agent009 can we not have the state highways from NH4 at nipani or sankeshwar hotmixed all the way past amboli and right into sawantwadi. That would be a boon.
Regards
Old 27th December 2009, 23:37   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent009 View Post
thats a really long route.. it will increase your travel time by atleast an hour but one can safely travel at 100+ speeds from Banda as the roads are in top condition since they are recently hotmixed. once stretch though in good condition(pernem onwards) is being hotmixed again.

Since you are in the thick of things,maybe you could shed some light on this:why is the NH4A always in a bad and non-motorable condition between Londa,Anomd & Molem?Any info as to when the next re-laying of this stretch is expected?
Old 28th December 2009, 13:29   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
This route is good all the way till Jog falls, but after ghat section the route deteriorates, some places near gerusoppa is in bad condition, say around 20kms, But rest of the route is in very good condition(tumkur bypass 200mts road patchwork is going on).
I returned in this route today morning.
Old 28th December 2009, 17:27   #914
BHPian

hey guys, anyone tried taking the left at ibrahimpur on NH4(before shiggaon and after haveri) that leads to yellapur (from where on can join karwar) ? it appears to shave off about 60 kms from the journey as compared to taking the left at hubli to reach yellapur
Old 29th December 2009, 11:37   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
hey guys, anyone tried taking the left at ibrahimpur on NH4(before shiggaon and after haveri) that leads to yellapur (from where on can join karwar) ? it appears to shave off about 60 kms from the journey as compared to taking the left at hubli to reach yellapur
No, but done Tadas to Kalghati, shaved off 30 kms of good road and substituted 30 km of bad village roads. adds to time taken.
Had also asked about this road in an earlier thread and got a negative response as far as road conditions are concerned. And yes it will save you 60 kms odd of distance.

Most Viewed