Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 10:41   #646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post

Budget for Goa hotel/resort - 2k to 2.5k approx per night.

Thanks,
Anup
Last time when I had been to Goa, I stayed at Ronil Beach Resort near Baga & Calangute beach . It's a good resort. Very near to beach.
Cost was 2.5K/day inclusive of Tax & complimentary breakfast for 2.

Last edited by sushrutha : 8th September 2009 at 10:45.
Old 8th September 2009, 10:47   #647
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

The route from Hubli-Dandeli is in good shape when I traveled that side around 2 months back.
Old 8th September 2009, 11:02   #648
BHPian

Are there any more resort near panjim or should I have to take up in calangute region. Since if I stay in Panjim, I think I can drive to north for 2days towards south goa another day. Else I will have to stay in calangute for 2nights and then drive to madgao for another night and then next to karwar.

How far is madgao to karwar and is it direct access route?
Old 8th September 2009, 11:42   #649
Senior - BHPian

I don't have info about nh4A road condition. I heard mostly road is in good shape except few bad patches.

Alternate option to reach Dandeli is : Bangalore - Shimoga - Sagar - 3km after Talguppa right turn towards Siddapura - Sirsi (410km) - Yellapura (55km)- travel upto Haliyal near bridge take left to Dandeli(aprox. 50km).
Max. expect 30km bad stretches. Beautiful road all the way! Careful after yellapura near dandeli on Elephants. So driving in late evening/dark is not advisible. Also on the way you can drop into JOG falls.

While returning try via Dharwad - hubli - chitradurga - bangalore. Don't worry much about chitradurga - haveri stretch. Muddy patches cant help should be there max. 30km out of 130km. Do non stop driving between chitradurga - bangalore and take some break in between chitradurga - haveri.

Bad roads are there everywhere. So don't get hesitated by bad roads

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 8th September 2009, 12:13   #650
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
Are there any more resort near panjim or should I have to take up in calangute region.
There are a few, but not many. You can try Blue Bay on the Miramar - Dona Paula Route. Or Seaview in Dona Paula, next to NIO.

There are a load of hotels in the city though.

The Calangute-Baga side there are hotels every 2 steps so you can find one easily.

Quote:
Since if I stay in Panjim, I think I can drive to north for 2days towards south goa another day.
The road network between Panjim - Margao is good. You should not take more then 40-45 mins to cover this distance of 30 odd kilometers.

Quote:
How far is madgao to karwar and is it direct access route?
Around 50 kms. yes direct route. Keep Rs 20 ready for the scum on the Karnataka side of the Border.
Old 8th September 2009, 12:30   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Keep Rs 20 ready for the scum on the Karnataka side of the Border.
Hi Spitfire,

Please elaborate, what scum? I am planning to visit Goa during Sept 19-23, that too in my Kerala reg car mostly.
Old 8th September 2009, 12:39   #652
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Please elaborate, what scum?
Oh they are quite legendary actually.

Nothing to worry. But be prepared. On the Karnataka side of the border (with Goa) entering from Karwar, you will be stopped at the border check post.

Please carry all your papers in order. Once they see that all is fine they will ask for "Entry Fee". Don't ask how much, drop Rs 20 and walk off without looking back.

They do harass people for no apparent reason to demand more money. So keep your calm and don't get embroiled with any fights. No one will help you and no one will care. They are petty and downright cheap.

Don't get too alarmed you may just manage to pass through without problems if you are lucky or they are too drunk to bother.

Have a great drive and an awesome holiday. From there onwards you shouldn't have problems.
Old 8th September 2009, 12:45   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Oh they are quite legendary actually.

Please carry all your papers in order. Once they see that all is fine they will ask for "Entry Fee". Don't ask how much, drop Rs 20 and walk off without looking back.

Have a great drive and an awesome holiday. From there onwards you shouldn't have problems.
Thanks Spitfire. Its a very useful tip!!!

Shall keep some changes of 10/20/50 currency with me, donno when and where we'll have to act as dumb.
Old 8th September 2009, 15:56   #654
BHPian

Thanks Ravi for the Dandeli route info; I was planning to stop by at Shimoga at my in-laws on the way back so will use the route you have suggested.

If NH4 is fine to go till Hubli I may as well travel on this one for my onward journey. Had read in a earlier post that the bad patch is gone from bad to worse.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:24   #655
Senior - BHPian

In and arround Shimoga

Friends,

we plan to drive to Shimoga for couple of days on 18th

i intend to have following program

18th Sept : Drive via Dobbaspet - Tumkur - Birur - Kemmannagundi - Bhadra wild life santury - Hebbe Falls - Birur - Bhadravati - Shimoga

19th Sept: Drive to Sagar - Ikkeri - Keladi - Jog Falls - Linganamakki Dam - Kargal - banvasi (?) - back to Shimoga

20th Sept: Gajanur Dam - Sakrebailu Elephant camp - Mandagadde bird santury - Tyarekoppa Lion safari

I also want to visit Koodali (where Tunga and Bhadra rivers merge), Ballegavi, as well as Sacred heart Cathedral and Shivappa Naik Palace at Shimogga during these three days if possible.

Do you think, is this do-able ?, Also let me know about your feedback on these destinations if anyone of you have visited these places. I have earlier visited Jog Falls and Linganamakki dam.

thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 9th September 2009, 22:43   #656
BHPian

Guys I have made changes to the plan and have included Coimbatore , Ooty,Vaalparai, athitampally . I will be starting from Coimbatore.

Plz look in the s.no 4 SharavanaBelagola to Agumbe(Via belur,halebid,hornadu,kudremukh. please let me know the distance.

I would like to know the best route between Mangalore to Chalakudy and the distance, road conditions etc. remember we are doing this trip on bikes

i think the above image is not viewable

Attaching it as a word document .could have done that earlier itself
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-untitled.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: doc post.doc (44.5 KB, 444 views)

Last edited by Zappo : 10th September 2009 at 02:09.
Old 10th September 2009, 11:53   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Friends,

we plan to drive to Shimoga for couple of days on 18th

i intend to have following program

18th Sept : Drive via Dobbaspet - Tumkur - Birur - Kemmannagundi - Bhadra wild life santury - Hebbe Falls - Birur - Bhadravati - Shimoga

19th Sept: Drive to Sagar - Ikkeri - Keladi - Jog Falls - Linganamakki Dam - Kargal - banvasi (?) - back to Shimoga

20th Sept: Gajanur Dam - Sakrebailu Elephant camp - Mandagadde bird santury - Tyarekoppa Lion safari

I also want to visit Koodali (where Tunga and Bhadra rivers merge), Ballegavi, as well as Sacred heart Cathedral and Shivappa Naik Palace at Shimogga during these three days if possible.

Do you think, is this do-able ?, Also let me know about your feedback on these destinations if anyone of you have visited these places. I have earlier visited Jog Falls and Linganamakki dam.

thanks in advance for your advice.

@starVegabond,I have visited all the places you have mentioned above, except Koodali.Your plan looks fantastic. You should be able to coverup all the places easily. Make sure you leave Bangalore early on 18th, so that it will be easy for you to coverup
Kemmangundi + Bhadra Wild life sanctuary(safari Closes by 4.30pm, Check at River tern jungle lodge).Day -2 looks good. But if you add Banvasi, it will be a long stretch, as you have to coverup many places in lil time.
Day -3 Superbly planned .Gajanur Dam - Sakrebailu Elephant camp(Be hear before 9AM to witness elephant Bath) - Mandagadde bird santury - Tyavrekoppa Lion safari.You can add Shivappa Naika Kote on the same date(Closes by 5pm)If possible make sure you can visit MATTUR near Shimoga(almost 10kms). Sanskrit is spoken as main language here. One has to experience this place for it's old traditions still being followed here.

Last edited by sushrutha : 10th September 2009 at 12:07.
Old 10th September 2009, 12:05   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post
Plz look in the s.no 4 SharavanaBelagola to Agumbe(Via belur,halebid,hornadu,kudremukh. please let me know the distance.
Shravanbelgola to Agumbe Via Kudremukh is approximately 250kms.Route to follow SRBGLA-HASSAN-ISRO MASTER CONTROL- HALEBEEDU- BELUR-MUDIGERE-KOTTIGEHARA-JAVALI-KALASA-HORNADU.
HORNADU-KALASA(back once again)-KUDREMUKHA-SK BORDER-SHRINGERI-AGUMBE.(I'm not sure abt the road condition between SK Border- Sringeri)
If you want to avoid SK BORDER route you can use this KOTTIGEHARA-KALASA-KUDREMUKHA-KALASA(back)-HORNADU-BASARIKATTE-JAYAPURA-SRINGERI-AGUMBE.(Not sure abt the present road condition from Hornadu-Sringeri))

Last edited by sushrutha : 10th September 2009 at 12:09.
Old 10th September 2009, 12:51   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
@starVegabond,I have visited all the places you have mentioned above, except Koodali.Your plan looks fantastic. You should be able to coverup all the places easily. Make sure you leave Bangalore early on 18th, so that it will be easy for you to coverup
Kemmangundi + Bhadra Wild life sanctuary(safari Closes by 4.30pm, Check at River tern jungle lodge).Day -2 looks good. But if you add Banvasi, it will be a long stretch, as you have to coverup many places in lil time.
Day -3 Superbly planned .Gajanur Dam - Sakrebailu Elephant camp(Be hear before 9AM to witness elephant Bath) - Mandagadde bird santury - Tyavrekoppa Lion safari.You can add Shivappa Naika Kote on the same date(Closes by 5pm)If possible make sure you can visit MATTUR near Shimoga(almost 10kms). Sanskrit is spoken as main language here. One has to experience this place for it's old traditions still being followed here.
Hi, Sushruta, you have given me good inputs which i did not know

1. Bhadra santury safari getting closed by 4.30 PM
2. your re-inforcement that Banvasi would be too long drive for day 2
3. 9 AM elephant Bath timing
4. Shivappa naik kote getting closed by 5 PM
5. info on Sanskrit Village Mattur.

thanks,

i will use these inputs in betting planning the trip.
Old 10th September 2009, 12:54   #660
BHPian

Hi sushrutha

Thanks for the information. Any idea about mangalore to chalakudy(Best route, places that can be covered, distances, road conditions etc)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks