Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 11:05   #571
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansad
- Are the roads marked aptly (in English).
This is one thing I really appreciate the Karnataka Tourism Dept. They have done a commendable job in putting up the sign boards.

Quote:
- How much time does it take to see around Jog falls.
Max 1 hour. That includes going over to the edge of the falls. If you want to trek down to the base of the falls, expect to take around 3hrs.

Quote:
- How much time does it take to see around Murudeshwar.
1 hour I guess. Nothing much to see apart from the Shiva temple opposite to the RNS hotel.

Quote:
- How much time does it take to see around Gokarna.
Actually, Gokarna is a beautiful place. Worth staying a day or two. Om beach is a must visit.

There are lot of places worth seeing around Gokarna, like Yana etc. But you will need atleast a day for all these.
Old 20th August 2009, 18:45   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansad View Post
Folks - I plan to take the route from Bangalore -> Shimoga -> Jog -> Honavar -> Murudeshwar -> Honavar -> Gokarna -> Karwar -> Panaji.

I plan to start early morning (say 4am).

Few Qs:
- What are the approx times for these places.
- Does it make sense taking a night halt at Murudeshwar/Gokarna to beat stress/fatigue (travelling w/ my parents)
- Are the roads marked aptly (in English).
- How much time does it take to see around Jog falls.
- How much time does it take to see around Murudeshwar.
- How much time does it take to see around Gokarna.
- Anything worth covering in Haldipur???
- Is I were to reach Panaji in single drive (w/ stopages at Jog/Murudeshwar/Halidpur/Gokarna), when would reach Panji (evening/night???)

Also, any must sees along the route, which I have missed!!!
(first timer on NH206/NH17)

thnx for help/suggestions. cheers!!!
Check my travelogue. Will give you reasonable information on all these queries.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...km-8-days.html
Old 20th August 2009, 20:21   #573
Senior - BHPian

Sansad I suggest you stay in Murdeshwar which is better than Goa in my view. You can reach Murdeshwar by 4AM If you leave 4AM from Bangalore after covering Jog and Sharavati valey on the way to Murdeshwar which you can cover in 1 hour that day itself watch sunset too.

In Gokarna only tourist attraction is om beach and If you want to pray visit to main Temple its worth a visit. Within 1 hour you can cover Gokarna. You can reach Goa easily by 4PM.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 21st August 2009, 14:49   #574

hvkumar, mclaren1885, laluks, ravibhat - thanx for your comments/suggestions. indeed helpful (I had missed to account for the temple timings)

I am tempted to attempt reaching Panaji the same day...

Few more Qs:
- Can one drive upto Om beach, or is it just trekkable?
- couldnt find Yana on googl-maps, is it on NH17 or di I need diversion?

thanx again, cheers!!!
Old 21st August 2009, 14:58   #575
Senior - BHPian

Om Beach is 6 kms from Gokarna town. Turn left just before you enter town. You can drive to Om all teh way.
Old 21st August 2009, 15:11   #576
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Sansad, you can drive down to Om beach. But you will have to park your car and take a flight of ~ 50 steps. While you are at it. try exploring the farther side of the beach. Mostly, its unpopulated.
Old 22nd August 2009, 13:14   #577
BHPian

query

Hi BHPians,

Me and My friends along with their better halfs are planning for a 6 days Bike trip from Bangalore -> Goa->Bangalore. I am planning to buy 2 Yezdi Roadkings for this trip, welcome your help to source these bikes as well.After a lot of research i finalized the following route but however i need further tips from you all.

Following bikes are planned for the trip:

Royal Enfield Thunderbird:1
Yezdi Roadking : 2 (yet to buy)

Date:

24th december 2009- 30th december 2009 (Tentative)

Day 1
Bangalore ->Sharavanabelagola -> chikmagalur ->Hornadu (ghat section) > Kudhremukh -> Agumbe-> Udupi (420 Km)

Help me to choose one of the below mentioned options for Day 1
(Option – 1) :Chikmagalur – Horanadu-Kudhremukh – Agumbe ( 183 Km)
(Option – 2) :Chikmagalur – Agumbe (through Bhadra Wildlife Scantuary) – (104 Km)

I am looking for good and scenic roads and please let me know if there are any place to stay before udupi. As for girls who are coming with us this will be the first long bike trip so i am not sure whether this Day1 is doable as planned.Your comments are welcome.Also let me know how this route will be during december time. Will there by rain during december.

Day 2:

Udupi->Murudeshwar(beach)->Gokarna alias OM beach-> Karwar->Goa (310Km)

Day 3 & 4 :

Party at Goa

Day 5:
Goa->Jog falls->Shimoga (340 Km)

Is december end a good time to visit jog falls.if not is there any other place to visit.

Day 6:

Shimoga->Bangalore (277 Km)

Please let me know your comments and Looking forward for your suggestions

Buvan
Old 22nd August 2009, 21:36   #578
Senior - BHPian

My answers to some of your questions that I know.

1. Chikamagalur - Kudremukha - Agumbe - Udupi is more scenic and lot of photo opportunity. I suggest go to Kundapura from Agumbe instead of Udupi which is better option but If you like Hotels and Restaurants in Udupi then it is better than Kundapura where there is less option.

2. Do stop at Maravante Beach after Kundapura in NH17.

3. Girls are with your friends or better half? (please don't feel bad just for safety reason I asked casually) I hope no kid is involved in this trip.

4. This time only July 2nd and 3rd week was good time to visit JOG Falls. But still you can enjoy scenary around Honnavara-Mavingundi-Sharavati valley-JOG-Sagara-Shimoga route. so go head.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 23rd August 2009, 09:26   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post
As for girls who are coming with us this will be the first long bike trip so i am not sure whether this Day1 is doable as planned.Your comments are welcome.
I was doing 300+ kms a day bike trips before my marraige with my friends. Once got married, few of our wifes could take the long distance and few just couln'd take even Bangalore to Mysore types.

I was lucky that my wife could take it very well. But I always tried to restrict to 250kms per day with a max cap of 300kms with a break to rest our back once in every 50kms. Must admit that I haven't dont a long distance bike trip since my son was born 3 yrs back...

Few points we always followed:
1. Give rest to back once in every 1 - 1.5 hrs.
2. Both wearing helmets
3. Ensure that eyes are protected from the heavy wind with sunglass and the entire face with helmet cover. (My wifey says this is a must)
4. Always shoes please
5. No short clothing as the impact in case of injuries will be very high.
6. I always used to put the backbag on the fuel tank and my legs and drive. This used to ensure that my wife is not carrying absolutely anything which used to help in long distances.
7. We both were wearing shoes.
Old 23rd August 2009, 14:21   #580
BHPian

@ravibhat

1. Chikamagalur - Kudremukha - Agumbe - Udupi is more scenic and lot of photo opportunity. I suggest go to Kundapura from Agumbe instead of Udupi which is better option but If you like Hotels and Restaurants in Udupi then it is better than Kundapura where there is less option.

how far is Kundapura from Agumbe. is there any lodge in agumbe or before that?

3.Girls are with your friends or better half? (please don't feel bad just for safety reason I asked casually) I hope no kid is involved in this trip.

they are my frnds wifes

4. This time only July 2nd and 3rd week was good time to visit JOG Falls. But still you can enjoy scenary around Honnavara-Mavingundi-Sharavati valley-JOG-Sagara-Shimoga route. so go head.

I assume there wont be rain during that time.

Thanks for yor reply ravi.

@prabingade

yeah we will be using helmet, knee guards ,shoes and leather jacket. For carrying luggage we are going to use cramster stallion saddle bags.thanks for your tips
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:56   #581
Senior - BHPian

Regarding accomodation in Agumbe there is decent restaurant but not much option for accomodation except Agmbe forest research guest house and Kasturi Akka. We stayed in Kasturi Akka's house but it is very very plain and too basic If some one look for hotel accomodation and there would be many restriction which were just fine with me and my wife and my parents and my daughter more enjoyed there!

I feel Kundapura and udupi from Agumbe would be of almost same distance but since you ride to goa next day I prefered Kundapura rather than busy udupi streets. But udupi has more choices as far as stay and food is concerned than Kundapura.

After Karwar Kaali bridge do visit sadaashivagad (max. 20min it would take) which has excellant views of river and sea! Once you enter Goa there is some jungle safari or national park sort of thing but not sure If it has entrance / tourist attraction.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 24th August 2009, 14:25   #582
BHPian

Thats very informative.Will get back to you if i need any further information .
Old 25th August 2009, 10:31   #583
BHPian

HI,

I am planning for a week long vacation(7 days). I intend to spend 3 days in Goa and rest of the time midway.
Browsing through the last few posts, I could figure out that the best way to go would be
Bangalore -> Shimoga -> Jog -> Honavar -> Murudeshwar -> Honavar -> Gokarna -> Karwar -> Goa.

But the twist for me is that I need to attend a marriage in Mysore. I was thinking of continuing for Goa from mysore.
Since its a pleasure trip, I intend to take it easy and not rush to the destination.
I intend to see Jog falls, Murdeshwara temple, Om Beach, Karwar(Are there any places of interest here?)and finally Goa.

The plan that I have come up with:
Day 1: Start from Mys@5am. Route: Unknown. Visit Jog falls. Night Stay in Murdeshwara. Distance: Unknown.
Day 2: Visit Murdeshwara temple and beach. Start for Gokarna by 10am. Distance ~80kms. Visit Om Beach. Drive down to Karwar. Night Stay in karwar.
Day 3: Start@5am. Reach Goa by noon.
Day4: Goa
Day5: Goa.
Day6: Start from Goa by 11 am. Which route to take back?Dont want to drive down the whole distance in 1 day. Any other route that I can take which will cover some other place where I can stay?
Day 7: Reach bangalore by 10pm.

Appreciate if you could please help me plan the trip.

Regards,
Old 25th August 2009, 10:43   #584
BHPian

[quote=amohit;1448408]HI,

Day 2: Visit Murdeshwara temple and beach. Start for Gokarna by 10am. Distance ~80kms. Visit Om Beach. Drive down to Karwar. Night Stay in karwar.
Day 3: Start@5am. Reach Goa by noon.

Which part of Goa are you going to ?
Old 25th August 2009, 11:07   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
HI,

I am planning for a week long vacation(7 days). I intend to spend 3 days in Goa and rest of the time midway.
Browsing through the last few posts, I could figure out that the best way to go would be
Bangalore -> Shimoga -> Jog -> Honavar -> Murudeshwar -> Honavar -> Gokarna -> Karwar -> Goa.

But the twist for me is that I need to attend a marriage in Mysore. I was thinking of continuing for Goa from mysore.
Since its a pleasure trip, I intend to take it easy and not rush to the destination.
I intend to see Jog falls, Murdeshwara temple, Om Beach, Karwar(Are there any places of interest here?)and finally Goa.

The plan that I have come up with:
Day 1: Start from Mys@5am. Route: Unknown. Visit Jog falls. Night Stay in Murdeshwara. Distance: Unknown.
From Mysore Jog falls is approx. 360-370 kms (not more than that). There are a couple of routes you can take
1. Mysore-KR Nagar-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Lingadahalli-Tarikere-Shimoga-Sagar-Jog Falls
2. Mysore-Srirangapatna-Pandavapura-Channarayapatna-Gandasi-Arsikere-Kadur-Tarikere-Shimoga-Sagar-Jog falls

The first route has good to very good roads all the way to Jog (except near Bhadravathi where road construction is going on), but you will encounter ghat section between Chikmagalur and Lingadahalli. But there will very little traffic on this route. This is a bit longer also by around 20 kms.

The second route also has good roads till Arsikere from where it is a bit rough and broken down till Birur(?? any updates). From Tarikere onwards it is the same road. Mysore-Shimoga KSRTC Buses take the second route.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 25th August 2009 at 11:10. Reason: mistake

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks