Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2013, 12:43   #2161

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Dear Naetik30 and the rest of the Forum,

Back after a long weekend in Goa - out thursday (0425) and in Canacona (1200) with some danga over a unruly holi mob near Yellapur, and back on Sunday, out ex Miramar (0535) and at Cunningham Road at 1510.

The road all through-out is excellent, and most of the roadworks Tumkur-Chitradurg have been completed.

In addition, the Bankapur-Yellapur section both ways was 65 minutes, and the road for the most part is excellent, with about 2-3 km is poor, and 5-7 km is fair.

Deol's Dhaba between Haveri and Davangere is a good food stop should any one be looking for a tuck-in, and Swaran Singh is a true blue blood sardar.

Keep rolling !!

Arjun
Old 1st April 2013, 14:08   #2162
BHPian

Had put this post on bangalore to dandeli trip but, got no response so, pls advice

Hi Guys,
Planning to travel to Dandeli on 11th April and stay there till the 13th morning. Will be leaving Blr around 6 AM(Malleswaram). Hoping to reach the resort by lunch time. Will be 5 of us driving down in a Qualis.

Have made a booking in Jungle Camp & Resorts. The main idea is rafting. Have checked with couple of locals and they say that rafting is on during this period in the Kali river. Hope this is true. If anyone has some info, pls let us know.

The next stop will be to drive through the Anshi forest and head towards Karwar. Planning to stay at the Sterling resort for a day and then head back to Blr on 14th (Sunday). Will prefer to get back early to Blr as all of us need to head to office the next day.

Need advice from the members on the route. i.e. where to get off the NH4 towards Haliyal and also the approx time required from Dharwad bypass to Dandeli.

Similar advice required on the route from Jungle camp and resorts to Karwar. Have read on the forum that the road travels through the Anshi forest. Any idea of the recent road condition and any place to stop and see apart from the wild animals.

Also, any place worth watching on the way back to Blr from Karwar considering we do not have much time on the last day. will it be possible to take a diversion to Yana on the way back.

Cheers
Old 1st April 2013, 14:22   #2163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Need advice from the members on the route. i.e. where to get off the NH4 towards Haliyal and also the approx time required from Dharwad bypass to Dandeli.
The Haliyal SH has no exit from the Dharwad bypass. People get of a mud road on the right side go through this road to hit the SH.

Exit to Dandeli
(Please enable satellite mode to see the terrain)

(see co-ordinates : 15.438758,74.968101 in google maps in satellite mode)

Quote:
Similar advice required on the route from Jungle camp and resorts to Karwar. Have read on the forum that the road travels through the Anshi forest. Any idea of the recent road condition and any place to stop and see apart from the wild animals.
The route is : Dandeli-Joida-Kumbarwada-Kadra-Karwar.
The road is never good. But an Innova should easily manage. There is a view point before Kadra where you can see the Kali river valley.

Quote:
Also, any place worth watching on the way back to Blr from Karwar considering we do not have much time on the last day. will it be possible to take a diversion to Yana on the way back.
Cheers
If you start very early it might be good to catch the sunrise at Vanivilas sagar dam around Chitradurga. But to be there by 6/7 AM, you should very very early. For any other place, it may be very hot on the way.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 20:37   #2164
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
I think you will not have enough time for Yana so an alternate would be to return from Karwar on this route:
Take NH17 for Karwar-Ankola-turn left at Honnavara (NH206)-Kumta-[Sharavathi Valley View point]-Sagar-[Jog Falls]-[Tyavarekoppa Lion & Tiger Safari]-Shimoga-Bhadravathi-Tarikere-Arsikere-Tiptur-Gubbi-Tumkur-merge onto NH4-Bangalore.

You can stop for a quick view at the Sharavathi Valley view point, then stop at Jog Falls (quick stop, don't expect too much water there) and finally stop at the Lion & Tiger Safari that is just a few Km before Shimoga town.

I did this route last year and visited both places enroute (started around 8am from Sterling Emerald Bay, Karwar). The safari closes around 1pm before lunch so keep that in mind.

Last edited by NPV : 1st April 2013 at 20:40.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 13:58   #2165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
There is a wedding I need to attend in Goa in May this year. I feel like driving down and if I drive, it will be 3 adults and a 1 yr old, along with luggage(2 medium suitcases and a cabin size bag in the boot). Car is a Maruti Esteem.

1. Should I go ahead considering it could be really hot on the highway in May?
2. Can this be done in one shot with a couple of 20-30 minute breaks or do I have to rent a room en-route?
3. Best route with good roads and petrol pumps/rest rooms at regular intervals?
4. Any one done this with a Baby On Board?

PS: The same passengers (1yr old was then 11 months old) have done Hyderabad - Bangalore, with just one stop of 20 mins. But this drive is about 6 hrs only compared to 9 hrs(shortest route as per Google Maps).

Please advice.

MaSh
Hi Mashmash, Am planing for a vacation during the 1st week of may. Let me know if you are planing between the 30th of April and 5th of May. I would be taking my wife and kid (quarter ticket), since this would be the first long drive on the Ikon would be glad if I can be a shadow on the esteem.Have got my car's ac serviced, tyres are good too.

- AC can solve the problem with some breather brakes.

2. Can this be done in one shot with a couple of 20-30 minute breaks or do I have to rent a room en-route? - a couple of 20 -30 mins break should do. Have taken my 800(carb) to hyderaba with just 45 min break at Ananthpur.
3. Best route with good roads and petrol pumps/rest rooms at regular intervals? - The traditional route via hubli dharwad is my guess.
4. Any one done this with a Baby On Board? - Yet too.
Ikoner_03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 17:36   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikoner_03 View Post
Hi Mashmash, Am planing for a vacation during the 1st week of may. Let me know if you are planing between the 30th of April and 5th of May. I would be taking my wife and kid (quarter ticket), since this would be the first long drive on the Ikon would be glad if I can be a shadow on the esteem.Have got my car's ac serviced, tyres are good too.

- AC can solve the problem with some breather brakes.

2. Can this be done in one shot with a couple of 20-30 minute breaks or do I have to rent a room en-route? - a couple of 20 -30 mins break should do. Have taken my 800(carb) to hyderaba with just 45 min break at Ananthpur.
3. Best route with good roads and petrol pumps/rest rooms at regular intervals? - The traditional route via hubli dharwad is my guess.
4. Any one done this with a Baby On Board? - Yet too.
My plan was more towards the end of May. But I lost the battle with my wife and will be flying down. Will spend the 2 saved days on the beaches of Goa.
Old 11th April 2013, 23:43   #2167
BHPian

Just Back from Goa, after a week of stay. Here is the details of Road and travel time

Bangalore to Goa:
Route : Bangalore -> Hubli --> Belgaum --> Jamboti --> Sanquelim -->Mapusa --> Candolim

Very good roads all the way up to destination. Belgaum City is pain (took 30 minutes to cross)
Travel time : Started from Bangalore.Vijayanagara at 5AM reached Resort at 3PM, with two stops for breakfast and Launch totalling 75 minutes. Drive time 8:45 hrs and distance of ~625 KMs.

http://goo.gl/maps/PqRlO

Goa to Bangalore

Route : Candolim --> Panjim --> Vasco --> Margoa(bypass) --> Karwara --> Ankola --> Yellapura --> Bankapura --> Bangalore

Started at 8:30PM and reached Bangalore at 7PM, with 30 minutes break for launch at Yellapura, travel time of 10 hours for 640 KMs.

High traffic in Goa and not so good road from Yellapura to Bankapura contributed to high.

http://goo.gl/maps/UrkFM
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 12:27   #2168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Just Back from Goa, after a week of stay. Here is the details of Road and travel time

Bangalore to Goa:
Route : Bangalore -> Hubli --> Belgaum --> Jamboti --> Sanquelim -->Mapusa --> Candolim

Very good roads all the way up to destination. Belgaum City is pain (took 30 minutes to cross)
Hi Manju,

How was the weather during the drive and during your stay in Goa? Which car did you travel in? Am planing to do this trip in the month end in a black Ikon, hence a lil worried on the heat part. Secondly, am planing to take left after crossing Dharwad onto Ponda and then Panjim -> Candolim, is this route ok to be taken? Thanks for sharing your inputs on route conditions. Hope you had a blast in Santana.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 12th April 2013 at 12:34. Reason: Fixing quote tags for better legibility
Old 12th April 2013, 15:12   #2169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikoner_03

Hi Manju,

How was the weather during the drive and during your stay in Goa? Which car did you travel in? Am planing to do this trip in the month end in a black Ikon, hence a lil worried on the heat part. Secondly, am planing to take left after crossing Dharwad onto Ponda and then Panjim -> Candolim, is this route ok to be taken? Thanks for sharing your inputs on route conditions. Hope you had a blast in Santana.
The londa-mollem-ponda road which is the nh4a is potholed and craetered at many points unless it has been resurfaced in the past 3-4weeks(highly unlikely).i would suggest either u take the chorla route to mapusa from belgaum and then to candolim or the traditional route via belgaum amboli sawantwadi mapusa candolim.I would avoid nh4a at all times.chorla route has been completely done up now and is the most scenic route into goa.check this thread and ypu would find more details on chorla route
Old 12th April 2013, 22:01   #2170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikoner_03 View Post

Hi Manju,

It was very hot during afternoon, but evenings and night were pleasant. I had swift zdi. I love non stop drives, so I did enjoy the drive, other wise it is very bowing on 4 lane roads. This is one of the reason I choose via Ankola while return.

Avoid Dharwad --> Ponda road. Many of the taxi and bus driver said the road is not in best shape.

Santana was good, but could have been better.
Old 17th April 2013, 11:42   #2171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post

Bangalore to Goa:

http://goo.gl/maps/PqRlO

Goa to Bangalore

Route : Candolim --> Panjim --> Vasco --> Margoa(bypass) --> Karwara --> Ankola --> Yellapura --> Bankapura --> Bangalore

http://goo.gl/maps/UrkFM
Thanks for the update, just when i wanted it. Will take the Belgaum route.
Any good place for breakfast in between Hubli and Belgaum ?
Old 17th April 2013, 12:01   #2172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Thanks for the update, just when i wanted it. Will take the Belgaum route.
There is a new Kamat opened 22 km after Dharwad toll (end of the 2 lane road) going towards Belgaum. It has a HP pump attached
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 12:04   #2173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Almost none on the highway.

Try the Kamat before Hubli, but across the Highway

Other options:
1. Inside Hubli, but you will lose a lot of time
2. Sai Palace on the left, immed after Hubli-Dharwad by-pass ends. Soon after Toll gate, on the left
3. Possibly one Kamat on the other side of the road (I dont know exact location)
4. Couple of more hotels on the left side, at/after Kittur.
5. Get into Belgaum city
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 13:35   #2174
BHPian

Just before Hubli, there in one on the right side, once again Kamat, at nearly 30 KM after Bankapura toll.

regards,
-manju
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 12:35   #2175
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everybody. I would prefer something after Dharwad.

If i take this route
I will have to go through Belgaum city right ? Any by-pass ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks