Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2011, 16:36   #1411
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Guys,

Planning my annnual 'pilgrimage' to Goa as usual end-May via NH4 and NH4A.

Wanted to check whether its worth taking the Kittur - Bidi -Khanapur shortcut? Last time I used it (Sep' 10), the road was in bad shape but being worked upon.

Although my fully loaded Aveo luckily sailed through, its a road I would think twice in a heavily loaded sedan!

Anyone used it recently? Or is it better to simply go upto Belgaum and come back down NH4A?

Maybe the Bangalore-Goa 'daily commuters' can help
Old 6th May 2011, 10:21   #1412
BHPian

mining traffic is bad on nh4a, The road is excellent though. went via Belgaum NH 4A in April , return Via Yellapur , Hubli bangalore . would suggest to take the Yellapur, though longer it is definitely faster. road conditions are good. we did this i 3 Civics no bottom scratching anywhere either on ward or return.
Old 6th May 2011, 11:48   #1413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning my annnual 'pilgrimage' to Goa as usual end-May
Just curious on how the weather is end-May to mid-July. I guess SW monsoon starts in June or early July. We have a 1.5 year old, so water sports isnt on the cards, primarily beach 'worships' and any cruises are the activities we could do.
~~~~~
How difficult is Amboli ghat, for one who has done Munnar (up via Bodi route and down via Udumalpet). I wont consider Yelagiri as a ghat experience, pretty much all turns were well marked there.
Old 8th May 2011, 08:01   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Thats good update, For Goa right now best route is what prabhusati used, thats via Hubli. Best roads This time I am enjoying the summer holidays here, less heat and occassional rain magic. Very good inner roads as well, Thanks to Karnataka government for building and maintaning decent roads.

Ravi.
Ravi - You seem to have an astonishing amount of info on moving around within Karnataka by road. Wanted your advice on travelling from Bangalore to Goa via Mangalore and Karwar. I plan to leave Bangalore on 10th morning & spend 2 night enroute to Goa (already have the balance 4 days chalked out in Goa subseuently). What is the route recommended by you? What are the best places to spend the night? And what are the interesting sights enroute?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 8th May 2011, 09:26   #1415
Team-BHP Support

My take:

Instead of Mangalore you can take NH206 to go via Shimoga, visit Jog/Sirsi/Yana and take a break at Yellapur. Next day start from Yellapur and a day break at Karwar JLR property.

Place to stay at Yellapur: Banana County.
Old 8th May 2011, 11:07   #1416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My take:

Instead of Mangalore you can take NH206 to go via Shimoga, visit Jog/Sirsi/Yana and take a break at Yellapur. Next day start from Yellapur and a day break at Karwar JLR property.

Place to stay at Yellapur: Banana County.
Thanks Ampere. Someone told me that the road thru Simoga - Sirsi is not in great shape. Any ideas on this front?

Checked the website for Banana County Resort. Looks pretty good. Will check on availability thru phone today.
Old 8th May 2011, 14:13   #1417
Team-BHP Support

I think NH206 is decent. Its the Talguppa-Sirsi section, which may not be good.
I am not aware of the latest conditions through.

Addy, Fauji HVK, Any updates?
Old 8th May 2011, 21:55   #1418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen.to.know View Post
Thanks Ampere. Someone told me that the road thru Simoga - Sirsi is not in great shape. Any ideas on this front?
@keen.to.know, Which route did you hear about? Shimoga-Sirsi can be done in 2 routes. Shimoga-Sagar-Talguppa-Sirsi (NH206 till Talguppa) and Shimoga-Shikaripura-Siralkoppa-Sirsi.

Last time I heard, the Sagar-Sirsi road was in good shape. Although this was in January, I doubt that this would have deteriorated badly.

I don't know about the Shimoga-Shikaripura-Siralkoppa-Sirsi route. My guess is that Shikaripura being the Chief Minister's constituency, the roads will probably be good.

I think Ravibhat will be the best person to confirm this as he is from Sirsi

Last edited by addyhemmige : 8th May 2011 at 21:56.
Old 8th May 2011, 22:04   #1419
Team-BHP Support

Sorry I forgot Ravi!
I thought he was enjoying his vacation!
Old 9th May 2011, 07:51   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
@keen.to.know, Which route did you hear about? Shimoga-Sirsi can be done in 2 routes. Shimoga-Sagar-Talguppa-Sirsi (NH206 till Talguppa) and Shimoga-Shikaripura-Siralkoppa-Sirsi.

Last time I heard, the Sagar-Sirsi road was in good shape. Although this was in January, I doubt that this would have deteriorated badly.
Addy - I was not aware of these 2 route options from Shimoga to Sirsi. Will keep your recommendation in mind. Thanks for the input.
Old 9th May 2011, 08:08   #1421
BHPian

Friends,
I am heading to Goa this thursday. The Plan is to leave my house near Tin Factory by 3am and reach Goa before 2pm.

Planned route is NH4/63/17 via Hubli- Yellapur.

On the way back, planning to touch Gokarna and return via Shimoga.
I would be travelling with my wife, kids, parents and in laws. That would load the Safari to the max. Few questions for you:

- Do I need to take NICE road or the ORR road that leads to Yeshwantpur is good enough? I haven't ever taken the Tumkur road NICE road so donno whether I save substantial time by taking it.
- How is the route via Shimoga?
- Any suggestions on good places to stop by on both the routes?
- Any good petrol bunks in Goa or enroute. Ideally the large tank of Safari should good enough to take 650kms in a stretch. But just in case..
- BTW, what is the diesel price in Goa? After the expensive fuel in Karnataka, I would love to live a few days in a low cost fuel country. :-)

Thanks,
JP

Last edited by recker_us : 9th May 2011 at 08:09. Reason: .
Old 9th May 2011, 08:37   #1422
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
- Do I need to take NICE road or the ORR road that leads to Yeshwantpur is good enough?
At the early hours of the day, you can go via Yeshwantpur. There won't be any traffic during those small hours.
Quote:
- How is the route via Shimoga?
I drove on NH 206/17 last year. It was good all the way. But, I don't know the present condition.
Quote:
There are a lot of Kamat Upachars all along NH 4. Please see here for details:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...n-highway.html

On NH 206/17, we had breakfasted at Sagar and lunched at Kamat Upachar near Ankola attached to IOCL pump [NH17].

Quote:
- Any good petrol bunks in Goa or enroute.
Oasis, BP, in Panaji is good. All along NH 4, you have BP COCO retail outlets at Sira and Ranebennur bypass and Reliance pumps at Ranebennur bypass and Chabbi, near Hubli.
Quote:
- BTW, what is the diesel price in Goa? After the expensive fuel in Karnataka, I would love to live a few days in a low cost fuel country. :-)
Goa fuel prices are very less compared to Bangalore. But, I don't have the latest information.

Bon voyage.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 9th May 2011 at 09:06.

Old 9th May 2011, 09:29   #1423
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
That would load the Safari to the max.
Why not take the Kittur route? You will save about 50-60 kms.

Quote:
- Do I need to take NICE road or the ORR road that leads to Yeshwantpur is good enough? I haven't ever taken the Tumkur road NICE road so donno whether I save substantial time by taking it.
Take the ORR from Tin Factory, pass Manyata and continue straight on to meet Tumkur Road after Yeshwantpur and just before the flyover. No need to go through the city.

Quote:
Kamat Upachar at RanneBennur, good vadas.

Quote:
- Any good petrol bunks in Goa or enroute. Ideally the large tank of Safari should good enough to take 650kms in a stretch. But just in case..
Fill up some fuel before you hit the ghats, there are no bunks on the way. For those you never know situations.

Quote:
About Rs 5 less. And fill up at the Bunk opposite the ferry point at Panaji.

Damn I miss home :(
Old 9th May 2011, 09:38   #1424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Why not take the Kittur route? You will save about 50-60 kms.:(
Hi Spitfire,

How IS the Kittur route right now? I asked this very question a few posts and was waiting for the 'daily commuters' to respond :-).

I will be in my fully-loaded Aveo and don't want to needlessly leave my sump/petrol tank behind between Kittur and Bidi!

Someone help me please!
Old 9th May 2011, 09:46   #1425
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I will be in my fully-loaded Aveo and don't want to needlessly leave my sump/petrol tank behind between Kittur and Bidi!
I would avoid it in the Aveo.

For that 10 kms it gets really bad. And it has got worser.

But as per my dad he did see a ANHC make its way through - his. Not loaded though.

The road after that though is brilliant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks