Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 11:38   #1306
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Any update on Belgaum -Sawantwadi-Ambolim - Panaji route?
Old 13th December 2010, 12:55   #1307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
They still do that? The whole area knows the "Goa Road" is now a myth.
4 times out of 5 the person at the toll booth will tell you to go from the "Goa Road" !I normally ask them every time to check what their reply is! Yes there are good souls though who will tell you not to go from there!

I have absolutely no clue why no one fixes the mythical "goa road!", its been that way for ages!Or at least someone should get the sign off the highway! I did manage to scrape(literally!!) through this road twice in a car , and I think this is a good route for all you jeeper's OTRs !

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
Any update on Belgaum -Sawantwadi-Ambolim - Panaji route?
I came to Goa via Belgaum - Amboli sometime last month , the road is manageable, but there are a few places in Amboli where there have been landslides and the road has been washed off, I believe they were fixing the sections when I passed through. Absolutely DONOT take this for a night drive journey !

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 13th December 2010 at 12:59.
Old 14th December 2010, 22:25   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post

I came to Goa via Belgaum - Amboli sometime last month , the road is manageable, but there are a few places in Amboli where there have been landslides and the road has been washed off, I believe they were fixing the sections when I passed through. Absolutely DONOT take this for a night drive journey !
@techn0l0gist, thanks for your inputs.
I will be travelling day time. I had taken this route last year as I am from Mapusa.
Do you think Hubli-Yallapur-Karwar would be better?
Old 15th December 2010, 05:03   #1309
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Honnavar - Jog : very good roads for the first 20 KMs, Extreemly bad roads for the next 40 KMs. The condition changes every 100 mtrs from washed off or rough surface to perforated edge to to pot holed to missing termac to moon crates. Adding to this bad stretch is the twist/turns + climb of the ghat. Please plan for 2 hours for this 40KMs stretch.

Jog - Sagar : Decent roads with some surprise pot holes in between. Roads inside Sagar town is in terrible state.
Hi,

Can you let me know if Sagar, Siddapura, Kumta is a good workaround for Sagar, Honnavara, Kumta to get rid of the bad patches?

Vinay
Old 15th December 2010, 11:37   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
@techn0l0gist, thanks for your inputs.
I will be travelling day time. I had taken this route last year as I am from Mapusa.
Do you think Hubli-Yallapur-Karwar would be better?
Yellapur Karwar would be a better road, however you would have to drive 30-40 kms more than the amboli route. take your pick
Old 17th December 2010, 21:57   #1311
BHPian

Thanks to all the guys who had pmed with the routes. I am back from my first long drive in my 6 month old spark. Being a newbie driver, it was a great experience and had one helluva time.

We took bangalore - Hubli - Yellapur - Karwar - Goa route. The roads were good all the way through except for small stretches between Davangere and Hubli. I was told that i would have to negotiate ghat section from Yellapur onwards. Never felt it was demanding as the roads were wide enough with less traffic. More over there was greenery on either side for one not to know that he is driving at an altitude.

However, the road from Karwar to Panaji was not that easy. It was narrow and had way too many curves and not to mention traffic too. This was the only section where i had to concentrate hard otherwise the drive was a breeze.

On our return journey, we took Goa - Belgaum - Hubli - Bangalore route. I probably could have headed to hubli directly instead, but somehow it turned out that way unexpectedly.

At one point after panaji , we came across a whole lot of lorries one after the other. I would have probably seen more than a hundred of them. Luckily was moving in the opposite direction otherwise it would have been a serious mess in between them. Road from panaji to belgaum is not that bad. Definitely manageable. Its good in most stretches and patchy at places with potholes. However, the road condition via karwar is far better.

Last edited by karty_83 : 17th December 2010 at 21:59.
Old 19th December 2010, 23:00   #1312
BHPian

All ,

We are planning for a Christmas outing to Goa . Suggest the best route from Bangalore to Goa . We are having 2 cars - One innova and an another scorpio . We are two friends one staying in South Goa & the other in North Goa .

Suggest us the best route for both ...
Old 21st December 2010, 23:26   #1313
BHPian

Hi all, Planning on a trip to Goa. A few queries:

1. Is this route recommended with the present road conditions: Bangalore - Shimoga - Sirsi - Karwar - Goa.
2. What are the recommended halts?
3. The car will be Honda Civic.
4. The car will have 3 adults and 2 kids and a bootload of luggage. Will the road conditions punish the car?
5. What are the best timings to start and for halts?

-P
Old 22nd December 2010, 06:31   #1314
Team-BHP Support

The route via Sirsi is OK. but the best option from a road point of view would be Blr-Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa. (NH/NH63/NH17).

206 would not be in good condition at many places.

GQ and NH63 would help provide break points at many places.
Hubli, Yellapur, Ankola to name a few.
Old 22nd December 2010, 07:30   #1315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
We are having 2 cars - One innova and an another scorpio
Wow! You guys are so cool !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
All ,

We are planning for a Christmas outing to Goa . Suggest the best route from Bangalore to Goa . We are having 2 cars - One innova and an another scorpio . We are two friends one staying in South Goa & the other in North Goa .

Suggest us the best route for both ...
Take the "goa road" immediately after hubli with the scorpio(and have a mini OTR too with its off road capability) to south goa and take the belgaum-anmod road with the innova(with its good cruising ability) to north goa , this will do justice to both your cars .

BTW, all the roads have been pretty much discussed over the past few posts, and they dont change so fast, so take your pick!

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 22nd December 2010 at 07:44.
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:30   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Hi all, Planning on a trip to Goa. A few queries:

1. Is this route recommended with the present road conditions: Bangalore - Shimoga - Sirsi - Karwar - Goa.
2. What are the recommended halts?
3. The car will be Honda Civic.
4. The car will have 3 adults and 2 kids and a bootload of luggage. Will the road conditions punish the car?
5. What are the best timings to start and for halts?

-P
Answers:

1. No
2. None
3. You forgot to mention automatic or manual ! Tyre profile ?
4. Refer Answer 1, also refer your driving style and come to appropriate conclusion
5. Consult friendly neighborhood astrologer for auspicious timings!

One Question:
1. Are you a some sort of manager in the IT industry?

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 22nd December 2010 at 10:41.
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:03   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
One Question:
1. Are you a some sort of manager in the IT industry?
.... can not put any more smiles hahahhahahahhahahhaha
Sorry Mods for adding no benefit to the thread by posting this but after very long time I have seen an one liner like this one.
Old 24th December 2010, 10:52   #1318
BHPian

Hi Guys need some recommendation. I am planning a family trip to the Damodar temple in Zambaulim. Enroute I have to visit the Arya Durga temple in Ankola. My drive will be in a civic. Considering this I have two options

a) Blr - NH4 - Hubli - NH63- Karwar - NH 17 - Ankola - NH17 - Cuncolim (Goa) - Quepem - Zambaulim.

or

b) BLR - NH4 - Haveri - Bankapur - Yellapur - NH63 - Karwar (then same as above)

Which one is recommended? Option (b) seems shorter but am not sure about the road conditions between Bankapur and Yellapur which shows a State Highway. Can anyone share their experience?
Old 24th December 2010, 11:20   #1319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Which one is recommended? Option (b) seems shorter but am not sure about the road conditions between Bankapur and Yellapur which shows a State Highway. Can anyone share their experience?
As per what I read in this forum, its not worth taking the Bankapur stretch. You wont save any time as the roads are pretty bad.
Old 24th December 2010, 11:31   #1320
BHPian

Team, all you folks travelling to Goa (North or South) for Christmas/ New-years, plllease dont forget to come back and post the road conditions.
Will be of great help for others planning to travel in this route in the weeks to come(including me)
Thanks,
Varun

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks