Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 10:58   #1066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bose View Post
Did Bangalore-Goa and back last weekend.
Did not risk it while going because it was late afternoon but now feel that I could have. The drive while coming back was a breeze. All the horror stories about Anmod-ghat is history now. Roads are new.
Took the SH31 shorcut from Khanapur. Road was reasonable for the Safari.
I think I saved close to 2 hours on my way back.
That would be exactly 12 hours to reach ORR on way back.
Hi !! I agree completely with you in the way that NH4A is a great drive. I mean, when it is in good shape. I had a great experience on it last year. It was a breeze. Good to know it is back in form
Old 30th April 2010, 23:33   #1067
BHPian

Guys,

Any updates on Ranebennur bypass or Davangere-Haveri stretch?
Old 1st May 2010, 20:18   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
Guys,

Did Panjim- Molem - Kittur - Tumkur -Bangalore on Sunday,April 25 in about 11 hours.

I went through Ranibennur town - guess I missed the bypass.

The traffic was light and the 3 railway crossings on the way took just about 10 minutes each.

On the whole,quite a relaxed Sunday drive!
Old 2nd May 2010, 08:50   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
Guys,

Here are some updates on this section in my post on the Blr-Mumbai thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1865166
Old 10th May 2010, 09:48   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bose View Post
Did Bangalore-Goa and back last weekend.
Bangalore -Goa - Friday
Goa-Bangalore - Monday

To Goa - Took the Amboli-Sawantwadi
To Bangalore - Took the Molem, Khanapur route.
Bose, can you give me the exact route details ? I am driving down to Goa this friday and hence would like to know the best route
Old 10th May 2010, 11:06   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
By the way you can also consider :

Bangalore - Tumkur - Shimoga - Talguppa - Sirsi - Yellapore - Ankola - Karwar - Goa
I did Bangalore - Tumkur - Shimoga - Sagar - Jog falls last year, and the road was very good and views were great. Planning for Bangalore - Tumkur - Shimoga - Sagar - Honnavar - Karwar - Madgaon in June, any update on the road condition after Honnavar?
Old 10th May 2010, 13:16   #1072
J.Ravi

Two months back, I travelled in this route. NH 17 was very good.

Old 10th May 2010, 13:28   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Two months back, I travelled in this route. NH 17 was very good.
^^ +1

I was there about a month back.

Honnavar-Karwar the road is pretty good for the most part. Just a few odd potholes here and there around Karwar especially. Watch out for a long line of Mining trucks queuing up outside of Karwar port.

Roads inside Goa are butter smooth. But pretty narrow and filled with blind spots. Drive Safe!
Old 10th May 2010, 15:27   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
^^ +1

I was there about a month back.

Honnavar-Karwar the road is pretty good for the most part. Just a few odd potholes here and there around Karwar especially. Watch out for a long line of Mining trucks queuing up outside of Karwar port.

Roads inside Goa are butter smooth. But pretty narrow and filled with blind spots. Drive Safe!
Thanks!!! I have seen those blind turns when I went in a volvo, this time will do in car.
Old 10th May 2010, 19:52   #1075
Senior - BHPian

goa - karwar - honnavar - mangalore road is in good condition. Sirsi - Haveri - chitradurga route has lot of rough patches but almost ZERO potholes. I hope haveri - chitradurga 4 lane work government will complete it soon!!

Honnavara - sagara - shimoga - tumkur - bangalore is in good condition too! except for here and there odd potholes.

Sirsi - devimane ghat - nh17 is in good condition except few bad potholes. Ankola - yellapura - hubli nh63 is in good condition except mine lorries create traffic jam once a while.

Talguppa - siddapura - Sirsi - yellapura is in good condition. Thanks to Karnataka governement which is giving importance for good roads!

nh48 is in good condition except few diversion also channarayapatna - Arasikere stretch.

All india touring driver who drove my safari this time started from Sirsi at 8:45am and took 2 breaks of total 50minutes via chitradurga reached bangalore by 4:15PM.

Ravi.
Old 10th May 2010, 19:57   #1076
Team-BHP Support

Great to hear that! If thats the case, then NH4/206/17 would make an amazing combination to drive to Goa.

Hope it maintains through the rains!
Old 12th May 2010, 14:01   #1077
BHPian

We are planning a Goa drive this weekend and the route is Tumkur - Devanagare - Hubli - belgaum. Does anyone know about the road condition in this route ? When I tried G maps, could see a shorter route which deviates just before Hubli. Is this worth a try or is the belgaum route preferred ? We are 2 families travelling in 2 H cities (with 2 canines and 2 kids)

Also, how are the facilities in this route (hotels, restrooms etc). Know that it is NH4 , still, would like to know whether facilities are available en route or whether we have to deviate off NH for these

Last edited by joecherian : 12th May 2010 at 14:03.
Old 12th May 2010, 15:11   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
We are planning a Goa drive this weekend and the route is Tumkur - Devanagare - Hubli - belgaum. Does anyone know about the road condition in this route ? When I tried G maps, could see a shorter route which deviates just before Hubli. Is this worth a try or is the belgaum route preferred ?
With family especially with kids on board i think you should avoid deviations. There are atleast 2-3 options in terms of deviations from Hubli route. I have travelled via Haveri-Sirsi-Mirjan-Karwar-Goa which is one option. This route is not busy but you may not get much help should you require any as there are long stretches without any villages, petrol bunks, puncture shops etc.

You may want to consider travalling from Hubli to Karwar to Goa. This is a better option in case you are travelling to South Goa i.e Canacona, Margao
Old 12th May 2010, 15:16   #1079
Team-BHP Support

Hubli to Ankola is NH63 which is amazing drive. Expect lots of trucks on the road.
Its worth taking that route as Rajesh mentioned if you want to go to South Goa.

Even apart from that its a nice. The route now becomes:
Bangalore-Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa (NH4/NH63/NH17).
Old 25th May 2010, 14:21   #1080
BHPian

Review: Alternate Route via Shimoga

Since its been 2+ years since i drove on the NH206+NH17 combo - so I decided to try it last weekend for getting to Goa from Bangalore, also having driven almost every month (if not more) to Goa and back - the NH4 was getting monotonous, so though how bad can the other route get ?! Here's my experience.

Started at 2 PM from JP Nagar 6th Phase , reached Goa at 2am (including 1 hour of break time)!

It was a harrowing drive - very stressful due to oncoming traffic, slow moving trucks and other vehicles ! This road just takes away the day time driving advantage as you just cannot go over 80Kmph - and usually you are stuck at 50-60 .

For anyone trying this road to reach goa - please take the NH4 till kittur (would take you 6 hours from bangalore in daylight) and then take the exit on the left to goa via anmod (another 2.5-5 hours depending on your driving skills,luck and time of the day )

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 25th May 2010 at 14:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks