Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2013, 17:30   #2341
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Now for en-route refuelling points (both car and self). The Fusion gives decent highway mileage, but depending how hard I drive it, I should be looking for a refuel at around the 500-550 km mark (with a factor of safety). Any Petrol Pumps suggested on the route (I suppose would have to be on NH4). Don't want to subject the DuraTec to substandard fuel. Could follow the top up strategy as to get just enough fuel till I enter Goa (or maybe Margao) and then fill the tank on cheaper fuel!
That post of yours brings back amazing memories for me. The Goa drive a year and a half back was the last long drive I had with my family on the Fusion before I let it go (97K). And it was a Duratech!
On the way back, we started late, went to Gokarna and leisurely drove to Hubli by evening. Drove back to Bangalore the next day.

Some bunks I can think off : MRPL at Hubli (Thats a MRPL coco bunk, who charges more like Shell). IOC/Kamat at Ankola.
I have also seen a BP ghar dhaba joint before Hubli. While going, I was almost dry much before Hubli and had to fill at some IOC bunk (where ever I found). Basically I dont like running lower 30/40% on the highways. So the instant it dips, I start hunting for a bunk. (Call it my paranoia! ). Dont know how I managed to run so low that time! (Maybe did not expect that to happen. FE was a 14 then)

Quote:
While we plan to carry snacks to keep stops minimal and short, would like to stop and a Kamat/Equivalent on the way. Where are they?
First stop : Ranebennur BF (330 from Bangalore). 4 AM start means you are here by 8.

Second Stop : Ankola Kamat (12:30/1 PM) Lunch.

Do note to get to this Kamat, you need to take left from NH63 at the NH17 junciton. In other words turn towards Ankola (which is opposite to Karwar direction.) Kamat would be about 2 km from here.

Quote:
Also which Pumps are good and trustworthy in Goa itself (esp. around Margao and in the North (Candolim/Panjim/Bambolim))?
No idea on that one.

Last edited by ampere : 1st October 2013 at 17:37.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 11:51   #2342
BHPian

Hi All -

Will be leaving for a week long trip to Goa next weekend (12-13)

Have booked hotels in a way that I would be spending first 3 days in North Goa, and the remaining 4 in South.

I will be starting my journey from Bangalore to North Goa, and while returning, will start from South Goa to Bangalore.

I have gone through this thread (from 2013 hoping that it has the latest updates) and found multiple routes leading in and out of Goa.

Considering today's scenario, can you please let me know -

1) The most preferred route to North Goa? I prefer taking the fastest route (not that I drive fast, but good roads help us maintain consistent speeds), which means that I would like to drive as much as possible on NH - 4. Once I leave NH-4, which route should I take?

2) Which ghat section will I encounter? Is it well laid out? This is to mark it clearly on Sygic.

3) The hotel in North Goa is in the Anjuna area, so which is the best route to reach there? I can let go off first 2 points if there is a better road to reach Anjuna.

4) My return journey will start from Holiday Inn in South Goa, so what is the best available route from there to Bangalore?

5) After check out from the hotel in North Goa, and before check in the hotel in South Goa, I plan to visit Dudhsagar falls. Theoritically, I have planned to checkout and 8 am and checkin at 3pm, so can I visit Dudhsagar falls in these 7 hours and return to South Goa? What are the routes I should take?

6) Initially, I had thought of visiting Dudhsagar falls when I start from Bangalore, before reaching North Goa, but somehow I feel that in doing so I might reach North Goa after sunset. Is this the case?

I apologize in advance for posing multiple questions, however, despite reading the thread I am unable to chalk out a concrete plan. May be because I haven't done a Goa trip, by road, till now.

I would be driving with family so while scenic roads are welcome, making them wobble around potholes is not preferred. Also, I would like to avoid deserted roads where in one yearns to see human beings.

I would also welcome out of the box suggestions, like halting for a night in Karwar, etc. if thats worth it, or if the roads from karwar to goa are more scenic, however, barring mechanical breakdowns, safety is a priority.

Thanks for reading!
Old 2nd October 2013, 12:06   #2343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
1) The most preferred route to North Goa? I prefer taking the fastest route (not that I drive fast, but good roads help us maintain consistent speeds), which means that I would like to drive as much as possible on NH - 4. Once I leave NH-4, which route should I take?
For Anjuna, take the Chorla route. Belgaum-Jamboti-Chorla-Sanquelim-Mapusa-Anjuna

Quote:
2) Which ghat section will I encounter? Is it well laid out? This is to mark it clearly on Sygic.
Chorla

Quote:
4) My return journey will start from Holiday Inn in South Goa, so what is the best available route from there to Bangalore?
Karwar-Ankola-Hubli-Bangalore. Best possible roads.

[quote]
5) After check out from the hotel in North Goa, and before check in the hotel in South Goa, I plan to visit Dudhsagar falls. Theoritically, I have planned to checkout and 8 am and checkin at 3pm, so can I visit Dudhsagar falls in these 7 hours and return to South Goa? What are the routes I should take?

6) Initially, I had thought of visiting Dudhsagar falls when I start from Bangalore, before reaching North Goa, but somehow I feel that in doing so I might reach North Goa after sunset. Is this the case?
[quote]

You cant drive to this place. You have to trek/walk or bike. So don't know it would work out.
Old 2nd October 2013, 15:57   #2344
BHPian

Thanks Ampere for taking time to answer my queries.

I believe you suggested this route citing my inclination towards NH-4 (read, better roads)

I was on Google Maps and upon querying Bangalore to Anjuna, got the below result. What are your inputs on this road? In your opinion, is that a bumpy ride, roads not well laid out, rough ghat section, takes more time than via Belgaum, etc.?

I see that Belgaum is actually north of Goa (in parallel) and once I deviate from NH-4, I actually travel south towards Goa. Can you please let me know, if at all, how many extra kms would I need to commute if I choose to go via Belgaum.
EDIT: I think this is @ 23 kms. I just dragged the slider from Hubli to Belgaum in Google Maps, if that's the correct method.

Based on your suggestion, I queried "Belgaum to Anjuna" in Google Maps. I believe that the below map denotes the route you suggested. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Again, many thanks for your inputs.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 2nd October 2013 at 15:59. Reason: Most probably figured out the extra kms
Old 2nd October 2013, 16:32   #2345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Based on your suggestion, I queried "Belgaum to Anjuna" in Google Maps. I believe that the below map denotes the route you suggested. Please correct me if I am wrong.
The first option that comes up gives you the route via Ponda. While the one via Belgaum gives you teh route via Chorla. The Chorla route is in much better condition and is a brilliant road. Apart from that Dharwad/Hubli - Belgaum is also an amazing 4-lane. So all in all end-to-end good roads.

Hence it makes much more sense to go via Belgaum rather than taking the Alnavar-Ponda route (for which you need to exit NH4 at Hubli)
Old 7th October 2013, 17:19   #2346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The Chorla route is in much better condition and is a brilliant road. Hence it makes much more sense to go via Belgaum rather than taking the Alnavar-Ponda route (for which you need to exit NH4 at Hubli)
Hi Ampere / Fellow Members,

Now that I have finalized to descend via Chorla, I had a doubt on which route to take to Chorla. Below are the 2 options, and I request you guide me on the appropriate route.

On the other hand, if you are actually suggesting a different route to Chorla apart from the ones mentioned below, I request you to let me know a couple of way-points so that I can analyze the map accordingly. I am aware that you suggested me to descend via Jamboti - Chorla, however, there are multiple routes that meet up before Chorla, and hence, the confusion.

As always, I thank you all for your valuable inputs.

Route - 1 - Exit NH-4 and reach Chorla via Bailur - Bidi - Nandgad - Khanapur - Olamani - Jamboti - Kankumbi - Chorla

Route -2 Exit NH-4 and reach Chorla via Shahapur - Tilakwadi - Angol - Majagaon - Machhe - Kinaye - Jamboti - Kankumbi - Chorla

Old 7th October 2013, 17:24   #2347
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now that I have finalized to descend via Chorla, I had a doubt on which route to take to Chorla. Below are the 2 options, and I request you guide me on the appropriate route.
Go all the way till Belgaum and take the Jambotti road. Thats best option.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 17:32   #2348
BHPian

Quote:
Go all the way till Belgaum and take the Jambotti road. Thats best option.
Thanks, in that case it would be the 2nd option then. I just queried "Belgaum to Jamboti" and the result that comes up matches with the 2nd option quoted above.

On a separate note, would you suggest any exit point from NH-4 in Belgaum (since I would be coming from Bangalore), considering that there would be multiple exit points for a city OR is the road towards Jamboti clearly marked on NH-4?

Old 7th October 2013, 17:44   #2349
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, in that case it would be the 2nd option then. I just queried "Belgaum to Jamboti" and the result that comes up matches with the 2nd option quoted above.

On a separate note, would you suggest any exit point from NH-4 in Belgaum (since I would be coming from Bangalore), considering that there would be multiple exit points for a city OR is the road towards Jamboti clearly marked on NH-4?
The best exit is Gandhi Nagar exit.

Now how do you know, you have hit the right exit ? Hotel Sankam on your right after you exit from NH4.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 17:54   #2350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Now how do you know, you have hit the right exit ? Hotel Sankam on your right after you exit from NH4.
I would go with ampere's suggestion here too. Sankam exit is the best.

You would notice Sankam Neon sign from a distance and cross this hotel from an elevated section of the bypass and as soon as you get down another 300 meters away is a flashing lamp post with orange light indicating a Left-Handed U-Turn into the service lane.

Take a U-Turn drive back 300 meters and at the intersection Turn right, reach a circle and take left for Belgaum Bus Stand and soon after passing the Bus Stand on left, take a right Turn at the signal.

Further ahead at the fork you will have clear signage indicating left for Khanapur and Right for Chorla. So, you take this right for Chorla.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 18:00   #2351
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks, was able to zero-in on it in Google Maps. Will get the coordinates and feed into Sygic. Ampere, I am grateful to you for all the help you have extended.

Old 7th October 2013, 21:13   #2352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
...cross this hotel from an elevated section of the bypass and as soon as you get down another 300 meters away is a flashing lamp post with orange light indicating a Left-Handed U-Turn into the service lane.
Hi Parag,

Thanks for that tip. The map precisely shows what you mentioned in your post. I just need to print those coordinates and feed them to sygic as and when imp landmarks pass by.

On a side note and a little bit off topic as well;

Would you recommend the food at Sankam? Going by my *as of now* planned itinerary, I should be reaching this place around 1pm (planning to start from Bangalore at 05:00 am), which should be lunch time.
Old 7th October 2013, 21:19   #2353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Would you recommend the food at Sankam? Going by my *as of now* planned itinerary, I should be reaching this place around 1pm (planning to start from Bangalore at 05:00 am), which should be lunch time.
Sankam is an amazing place for food. By all means if you are there at lunch time, take a break there.
Old 7th October 2013, 21:41   #2354
BHPian

Quote:

Sankam is an amazing place for food. By all means if you are there at lunch time, take a break there.
By all means, thanks!
We will take a pit - stop at Sankam. I am looking forward to an uneventful drive through the ghat section, so wont tank up fully!!!
Old 8th October 2013, 10:47   #2355
BHPian

Quote:
For all members using Sygic, following screen shot indicates the details that need to be fed into Sygic for Sankam Residency.

Once you tap "POI Near Gandhinagar" search for Sankam Residency.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks