Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2013, 17:48   #2326
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Thanks!

This part is tough as we are constrained on the dates on the return (while we have some flexibility on the onward). The Wedding is on the 8th evening and we have only the 9th to drive back before getting back to work on the 10th! :(
This is my itinerary for the Goa trip I planned for next weekend.

Oct 6:
Depart Whitefield, Bangalore - 10am
Arrive Matthuga Homestay, Jog - 5pm
Visit Jog Falls
Halt at Matthuga

Oct 7:
Depart Matthuga - 9am
Arrive Cavelossim, Goa - 3pm after a leisurely drive along the Karwar coast.

Oct 11:
Depart Cavelossim Goa - 1pm
Arrive Davanagere - 8pm
Halt at Davanagere

Oct 12:
Depart Davanagere - 10am
Arrive Whitefield, Bangalore - 4pm

Now, didn't want to do the whole journey in a single go, so have broken it with midway halts. I think you could plan the same onward itinerary as mine with your timing. Instead evening, you can visit the Jog falls in the morning on your way to Goa. The return can be non-stop.
Old 29th September 2013, 23:08   #2327
BHPian

Hi Guys, I am planning to go to Bangalore sometime next week,so which route do I take?

According to this thread and Google, 1 route is from Goa-chorla ghat-belgaum-hubli-Bangalore with the main route being NH4, what is the current state of the highway towards Bangalore, I went to pune using the NH4 and it was excellent so is it the same towards Bangalore too?The second route is via Molem-londa-hubli and then connect the NH4 to proceed to Bangalore.

The first route is longer but I have only the Chorla ghats to cross and very less forest land to cover whereas the second route seems to have ghats as well as lot of single lane forest land to cover.

I plan to leave by 2.30-3.00am so what time will I reach Bangalore according to you guys?

Also O.T. but what is the current status on the whole window tints deal in Bangalore,I have slight tints on my vehicle so being an outstation vehicle will I be stopped often cause of this?
Old 30th September 2013, 07:41   #2328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hi Guys, I am planning to go to Bangalore sometime next week,so which route do I take?
If you are in south Goa, dont take the Chorla route. Because you go roundabout. Instead take the regular Karwar-Ankola-Hubli-Bangalore route. You can cover the distance in 10-12 hours with breaks.
Yes NH4 is a beautiful 4-lane all the way.

Only downer to me is while coming towards Bangalore, the 4-lane is not complete at Harihar and the highway diverts into the town.

Last edited by ampere : 30th September 2013 at 07:42.
Old 30th September 2013, 08:51   #2329
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I plan to leave by 2.30-3.00am so what time will I reach Bangalore according to you guys?

Also O.T. but what is the current status on the whole window tints deal in Bangalore,I have slight tints on my vehicle so being an outstation vehicle will I be stopped often cause of this?
You should be able to do Karwar-NH63 Ankola-Hubli bypass-NH4 Haveri-Davanagere-Chitradurga-Bangalore in under 8 hours easily. Add to this your time for Goa-Karwar.
There is no focussed drive for sunfilm/tints these days since most cars have gotten rid of them but as you said, being an outstation vehicle you may get stopped.
Old 30th September 2013, 14:12   #2330
BHPian

Folks,

Its been a year since our family had an outing, but my daughter ( 3 yrs old ) asked me over the weekend with an innocent yet cheeky tone " Daddy, shall we go to a beach ". Now thats a request hard to turn down especially from a 3 yr old :-), i tell you i would have turned down the request, had it been from my missus, lol

Haven't broken the news to my little one yet, but will be heading to Goa after 6 yrs. I don't prefer North Goa anymore (been there a few times in my bachelor days ), but i haven't seen South Goa, will be making my debut, actually looking forward to it.

I understand it literally is start of the season and all, would like to hear 3 things from friends out here please -

1) Will stick to the Blr - Hubli - Karwar route ( as my final destination is Agonda ). Would like to know, are there any humps on this route which i should be wary about ?

2) Any suggestions for places to see ( apart from the beaches ) in South Goa ?

3) Good places to eat ? am ok with Indian/Continental etc, but my missus is a veggie

Its going to 5 nights / 6 days at Agonda ( We will venture out to North Goa, but as a day trip to see the usual hanging out places as my missus not seen them )
Old 30th September 2013, 15:55   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redballons View Post
Folks,

I understand it literally is start of the season and all, would like to hear 3 things from friends out here please -

3) Good places to eat ? am ok with Indian/Continental etc, but my missus is a veggie

Its going to 5 nights / 6 days at Agonda ( We will venture out to North Goa, but as a day trip to see the usual hanging out places as my missus not seen them )
I'm also planning a 4 night/ 5 day outing in Goa next week.
This is what I planned to do:
1. Day1: Visit Cavelossim beach as I stay nearer.
2. Day2: Visit Fort Aguada late afternoon and roam around Baga beach for the evening.
3. Day3: Visit Martin's Corner for lunch and then proceed to Calangute beach. Spend late evening at Panjim.
4. Day4: Visit Palolem beach in the South for Dolphin watching.

Most of the mornings we intend to spend in the hotel swimming pool and take it easy. I'm sure you'll endorse the fact that at this stage of life(I have a 4 year old as well) we intend to spend more time unwinding than a busy outing!
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 16:14   #2332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Will stick to the Blr - Hubli - Karwar route ( as my final destination is Agonda ). Would like to know, are there any humps on this route which i should be wary about ?
Hubli - Karwar stretch goes through villages, so there are crude humps.

Quote:
How about Cabo de Rama?
If you go to Bogmalo beach near the airport, you'll see aeroplanes taking off and landing

Quote:
Panjim's Delhi Darbar . On the way to Miramar, you'll see lot of roadside chat shops at a particular place. I forgot the name of the place. I love the chats there.
If you happen to drift to Ponda, try Hotel Menino.
When you are going to Agonda from Panjim on NH 17, there is hotel Coqueiro at the place where you take left towards Agonda. Good ambience, good food too!
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 17:17   #2333
BHPian

Good that you are not staying in North Goa. Its become too commercial now. South side yet to catch up, but its getting there

Though I stay/work in Bangalore now, I am a native of Goa and my parents still stay there. So here are a few pointers from my end:

Quote:
  • If you are interested in temples, visit Ponda which is about 10 odd kms from Margao. Lots of temples to see there within a 4/5 km radius.
  • You can check out the Savoi Spice plantation if interested. I think they have guides available to take you around.
  • I think there is a cruise at Rajbag beach which takes you to Cabo De Rama fort and also Dolphin watching.
Quote:
  • Martin's Corner in South Goa .. good food and a celebrity haunt as well. Apparently Sachin T's favorite place for sea food.
  • Britto's @ Baga & Souza Lobo's @ Calangute for really good food on the north side.
  • You will also get Conti options at the places mentioned above. There are more expensive options as well, but these are quite reasonable and good.
  • Try Tato restaurant in Margao or even the Panjim branch. Veg only. A local favorite.
  • Vernekar restaurant is also famous for some good food. Its a small place with I think just 3 to 4 tables but serves good food. Aloo Gobi is famous at this place as well as the Tandoori.
  • On the way if you are hungry - try Amrut @ Karwar. Not a fancy place but again you will get amazing seafood dishes @ a very reasonable price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
... Panjim's Delhi Darbar ... Yes if you want standard north indian food, try this place. Nothing great but not bad either.

... On the way to Miramar, you'll see lot of roadside chat shops at a particular place... This is Miramar beach circle itself. On the way to DonaPaula. Good chats as compared to what you get in Bangalore

... Hotel Coqueiro ... Its not too well known for the food. Became famous as Charles Sobhraj was caught there.
I would suggest you try and figure out where the locals eat as that is where you get the best food day in and out. The hyped places are only to cater to the taste of the tourists. Enjoy your stay
vroom666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 23:28   #2334
BHPian

hey guys could anyone of you suggest me a good hotel to stay in Bangalore,place should be around/near to yeshwantpur station/tumkur road or similar. Should have good parking facility and nothing fancy but a clean basic AC room preferred.There are so many options and I don't know where to go so any suggestion by you local guys are welcome.
Old 1st October 2013, 08:25   #2335
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hey guys could anyone of you suggest me a good hotel to stay in Bangalore,place should be around/near to yeshwantpur station/tumkur road or similar. Should have good parking facility and nothing fancy but a clean basic AC room preferred.There are so many options and I don't know where to go so any suggestion by you local guys are welcome.
This thread may help with recommendations for hotels on Tumkur Road - Link
Old 1st October 2013, 08:35   #2336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom666 View Post
... Hotel Coqueiro ... Its not too well known for the food. Became famous as Charles Sobhraj was caught there.
Oh well! I didn't know this part.

I once stopped at Coqueiro for lunch while going from Ponda to Arambol. I liked the food there. I like food with lots of vinegar in it. The food is Catholic style.

I almost forgot. There is Hotel Top in Dhavli, Ponda. It is somewhat opposite Syndicate Bank (and next to Tata commercial vehicles service centre). It is marked as Ganu's in Google Maps (Ganu is the owner). The pav bhaji there is the best I have ever had. He serves two types of bhaji: one made with white peas, and another regular one. But there is one problem: he opens at 6 AM and he runs out of pav bhaji by 7 AM!

I had also been to Hotel Ritz near Immaculate Conception church in Panjim (or near Hotel Mandovi). But I am not able to locate it in Google Maps.

I also like the food at Fisherman's Cove in Candolim. I once came across film director Rajkumar Hirani there (he was holidaying with his family)!
Old 1st October 2013, 09:13   #2337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
This is my itinerary for the Goa trip I planned for next weekend.
Oct 7:
Depart Matthuga - 9am
Arrive Cavelossim, Goa - 3pm after a leisurely drive along the Karwar coast.
2 small tips, given that you are doing a relaxed leisure drive anyways

Tip1 : If you are carrying your own lunch, this is a nice stop over to have your lunch especially if you are with kids. After you cross Karwar Port on your left you will find a Rabindranath Tagore park, it is adjoining the beach. Comes on your left right before a Warship Museum.

Tip2 : If you want to take a refreshing 1 hour break.
After entering Goa a 1 KM detour from the highway on the left will take you to Palolem Beach. Very nice and worth the stop over.

Not to miss the turning, its best to key it into Google Maps. It comes right after entering a small town.
Search for "Palolem Beach, South Goa" on G.maps.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 13:06   #2338
BHPian

Quote:
... I like food with lots of vinegar in it. The food is Catholic style...
If you really like such food, try Mum's Kitchen on the Panjim Miramar road. Its on the left while driving towards Miramar. Chicken Xacuti, Chicken/Pork Vindaloo, Sorpotel & Chicken Cafreal are some of the most basic/known Goan dishes. The best Cafreal is served at a place called 'Florentine' on the Porvorim-Calangute road. Ask for this place as it is easy to miss it while driving.

Quote:
... There is Hotel Top in Dhavli, Ponda... The pav bhaji there is the best I have ever had. He serves two types of bhaji: one made with white peas, and another regular one. But there is one problem: he opens at 6 AM and he runs out of pav bhaji by 7 AM! ...
Man - this is going local to whole new degree How did you land up in this place? My aunt stays in Dhavli so I have been to this hotel quite a few times. A really small joint. Good Pav Bhaji but a little spicy sometimes.

A tip for all non Goans: The staple local breakfast/snack in most small hotels in Goa is 'Pav Bhaji'. This is not to be confused with the Bombay style Pav Bhaji that you get at most Chaat counters.

This is usually the Pav served with a semi dry or gravy dish made out of Peas or Potatoes or some other veggies. Its really tasty and I dearly miss it here in Bangalore. Try it next time you vist Goa. It should be there in almost all local small hotels from North to South.

Another gem: Its called "Rassa Omlette". Basically Chicken gravy served over an omlette with Bread for accompaniment. The best I have eaten is at a roadside stall in Panjim near Alankar theatre. Very close to 'Bhonsle's' veg restaurant. Might be available but I have not seen this in any other restaurant.

Disclaimer: I am in no way related/linked to any of the restaurants/places mentioned above and am just quoting them from my personal experience as a local.

Last edited by vroom666 : 1st October 2013 at 13:08.
vroom666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 14:45   #2339
BHPian

@luvurride - Thanks for the suggestion, we are leaving blr on Oct 4th, returning on Oct 9th. Will be based in Agonda, if you guys happen to visit Agonda, give us a shout

@rohanjf & vroom666 - Great tips , thanks guys

Look forward to sampling local Goan food at local eating joints and experience the culture.

When back, will post a report
Old 1st October 2013, 17:10   #2340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
I think you could plan the same onward itinerary as mine with your timing. Instead evening, you can visit the Jog falls in the morning on your way to Goa. The return can be non-stop.
The problem we have is we are constrained with the number of days (5). If we take a detour via Jog, we will lose a lot of time. Night stop or not, if we add Jog to the itinerary, we will only reach Goa by dusk after long driving. This means we lose the entire day and get virtually nothing in Goa.

So as @Ampere rightly suggested, we'll keep Jog for another weekend some other day.

We've decided to go straight into Goa. Maybe via Karwar as I can finish a visit to my friend's parents at Navelim in the South and then head North. Return can be via Chorla as we would be in the North on 9th Morning.

Now for en-route refuelling points (both car and self). The Fusion gives decent highway mileage, but depending how hard I drive it, I should be looking for a refuel at around the 500-550 km mark (with a factor of safety). Any Petrol Pumps suggested on the route (I suppose would have to be on NH4). Don't want to subject the DuraTec to substandard fuel. Could follow the top up strategy as to get just enough fuel till I enter Goa (or maybe Margao) and then fill the tank on cheaper fuel!

While we plan to carry snacks to keep stops minimal and short, would like to stop and a Kamat/Equivalent on the way. Where are they?

Also which Pumps are good and trustworthy in Goa itself (esp. around Margao and in the North (Candolim/Panjim/Bambolim))?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks