Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2013, 00:30   #2371
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
So now, on our way back to Bangalore from South Goa, we have decided to visit Jog Falls instead.

So the modified plan for the return journey is -

South Goa -> Jog Falls -> Shimoga (Night Halt) -> Onwards to Bangalore the next day
There isn't much water at the Jog right now. I was there on Monday. You could certainly stop over, but then Jog is not in its glory! But the drive sure is super fun! Fantastic roads all the way this route!
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 15:37   #2372
BHPian

Dear All, could someone suggest the best road (in terms of road conditions) to go from Yeshwantpur in Bangalore to Colva in South Goa?

I have read from this forum that the Yellapur Road (or the Hubli-Karwar Road NH63) is quite good. Any other alternatives which may be shorter or better? Please let me know

Cheers
Old 10th October 2013, 17:21   #2373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar82 View Post
Dear All, could someone suggest the best road (in terms of road conditions) to go from Yeshwantpur in Bangalore to Colva in South Goa?

I have read from this forum that the Yellapur Road (or the Hubli-Karwar Road NH63) is quite good. Any other alternatives which may be shorter or better? Please let me know

Cheers
Hi Anand,

I was suggested the route below for my return journey from South Goa to Bangalore -

Karwar-Ankola-Hubli-Bangalore

I checked Google Maps and the distance from Mobor Beach (my starting point to Bangalore) to Colva is only 15 kms. So you can take the reverse of the route mentioned above, i.e. Bangalore -> Hubli -> Ankola -> Karwar

Also, looking at the developments in past one week I can safely say that all routes are unpredictable in terms of condition, landslides, etc. So you can just search for the latest news on the route you plan to take, and also call up the hotel to check if they have the latest updates. Once you have the inputs, you can choose a route and pray that everything goes well

Atleast that's what I plan on doing on my trip to Goa this weekend.
Old 10th October 2013, 17:29   #2374
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your advise

I was also planning this route since it was a NH and not an SH. Anyway, I guess I will also call up before I leave to make sure the road is open and no ugly surprises spring up on the way
Old 10th October 2013, 18:08   #2375
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
anand, to go to Colva beach take the southbound route as below

Bangalore - Hubli - Yellapur - Karwar - Colva.

The entire stretch is in good condition and you probably will have less surprises on this stretch compared to the others as the ghat section is minimal. I started from home at 6.15AM and reached Karwar by 3PM. I had about an hour break during the drive. I had a stopover at Karwar for a day and half before I drove to Goa.

Karwar to Colva beach took about 2 hours for me to reach. An earlier start would be helpful for you if you are driving straight to Goa.
Old 10th October 2013, 18:49   #2376
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers

Hi

I have done the 3-4 routes from Bangalore to Goa and the best that I found is - Bangalore-Hubli - turn left - Karwar - Colva. Its about 640 kms or so.

Bangalore to Chitradurga to Davangere to Hubli is 4 and sometimes 6 lane highway - part of GQ. Keep paying toll and keep driving well.

From Hubli turn left for Karwar. The Hubli Karwar road is 2 lane but little traffic and drive is through lovely green jungles. At Karwar you will touch the sea for a short while. Drive north to Colva via lovely jungles and ghat roads. Drive safe and keep left since there are a few blind turns in this stretch.

Approx driving time if you maintain 90-100 kmph - Bangalore to Hubli - 6 hrs. Hubli to Karwar - 2 hrs and Karwar to Colva 2 hrs. At a relaxed pace and a couple of 15 minute stops you should be able to get to Colva in 10-11 hrs. The highway is good all through. If you are driving a petrol car please tank up in the GQ section enough to get to Colva since there is only one reasonable bunk between Hubli-Karwar and Colva section. Petrol is cheaper in Goa so calculate accordingly.

Enjoy the drive.

Cheers
Old 10th October 2013, 19:50   #2377
BHPian

Thanks to all my BHPian friends for letting me know the best route. I will follow your advise and go via the Hubli-Karwar road and then on to Colva. Thanks a million to everyone
Old 10th October 2013, 22:17   #2378
BHPian

Last weekend had a fantastic trip to Goa.

Onward journey -- left Bangalore at 5am (was near Yeshwantpur then), stopped for 30 mins at Rannebenur Kamat (8-8:30) for breakfast, took Karwar road from Hubli, reached Karwar at sharp noon thanks to excellent road surface and light traffic, spent 2 hours in Warship museum (wanted to have a look everytime we drove by), adjacent beach and Hotel Amrut for lunch (really good (sea)food), reached our resort at Cavelossim at 4:30pm.

When coming back -- around afternoon 2 o'clock we were near Ponda, took the Mollem - Alnavar route and by 6:30pm we checked in a hotel in Hubli for a night halt. The drive time to Hubli is again the same (but km wise it is shorter), but the road is bad in Karnataka side, at least from the border to Gharli village - bad surface with potholes to slow you down. Started next morning 9:30 and by 3:30 I was at the outskirts, then Bangalore jam caught up with me.

Long live whoever recommended Martin's Corner - really enjoyed everything we asked for. If you're in South Goa this is a must visit place. The parking lot is a humbling place, where you try to squeeze in among Porsche (cayenne), Audi (Q7), BMW (X5). I've discovered one more place - Chef Fernando's Nostalgia (on Margao-Ponda road), very nice Vindaloo/Xacuti/Balchao dishes!
Old 11th October 2013, 09:16   #2379
BHPian

I have a question for members who have travelled the Bangalore - Hubli - Yellapur - Karwar - Goa route -

What is the exact exit point from NH-4? Is it Bankapur? If yes, then Bankapur to Yellapur is SH-6. From Yellapur, SH-6 joins NH-63.

Also, most of the members have mentioned "left from Hubli", however, the distance from Bankapur to Hubli is 57.6 kms if you continue on NH-4.

Finally, is this route also advisable if one is travelling to North Goa?

Or is the route from Hubli - Alnawar - Mollem - Ponda best for North Goa?

The route through Chorla, as suggested by Ampere, was indeed the best route to North Goa, however, off late its in tatters

Thank you!
Old 11th October 2013, 09:22   #2380
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a question for members who have travelled the Bangalore - Hubli - Yellapur - Karwar - Goa route -

What is the exact exit point from NH-4? Is it Bankapur? If yes, then Bankapur to Yellapur is SH-6. From Yellapur, SH-6 joins NH-63.
- No Bankapur.
- Drive till Hubli.
- Take the bypass road
- You would see exit to Ankola clearly marked. Thats the NH63.

You take Bankapur if you want to go via country roads and enjoy views. But I would prefer NH63 anyday.

Route Link

For driving to south Goa Hubli-Ankola-Karwar is the best option (even better than Chorla as per my opinion)

Last edited by ampere : 11th October 2013 at 09:26.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 10:24   #2381
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The route through Chorla, as suggested by Ampere, was indeed the best route to North Goa, however, off late its in tatters

Check this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3262943
Old 11th October 2013, 11:00   #2382
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you!
Safety, To exit from NH4, drive all the way to Hubli. Before entering town, there is a toll booth in NH4. In the toll booth you have to tell them you are going to exit at Karwar route. The ticket cost is Rs.25. If you dont tell them you are going to exit at Karwar route, they will give you the standard Rs.45 ticket. Just after you cross toll booth, there is a left turn with signboard indicating clearly that it is the route to Karwar. Take the left and continue your journey.
gopikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 15:16   #2383
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to go travel to Candolim during Nov 1 weekend. Route suggested by Google maps is via Hubli - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Panjim - Candolim .

We are planning to start at around 04.00 AM from HSR, drive will be in a Taxi Innova with 6 adults and an infant. Any pointers on approximate time taken and any better router will be helpful.
Old 11th October 2013, 17:00   #2384
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Planning to go travel to Candolim during Nov 1 weekend.
For Candolim the Alnavar/Ponda route is the fastest. Because if you go via Ankola, you will have to drive through Goa.
Old 11th October 2013, 18:12   #2385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Planning to go travel to Candolim during Nov 1 weekend. Route suggested by Google maps is via Hubli - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Panjim - Candolim
This should be fine except from Gharli village till the Goa border (~15kms) the road is not that good. But the time lost will be compensated by traveling less distance, and as @ampere pointed out, you won't have to cross Margao (NH really narrows down in places) etc cities on the way.
kousik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks