Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2013, 11:06   #2356
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
For all members using Sygic, following screen shot indicates the details that need to be fed into Sygic for Sankam Residency.
Do note, if you start by 4/4:30 from Bangalore, you would have had your first break at Ranebennur about 8:30/9. You would hit Belgaum by 12. That may be too soon for a lunch break. So you should also plan for some thing beyond.
Old 8th October 2013, 12:02   #2357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The best exit is Gandhi Nagar exit.

Now how do you know, you have hit the right exit ? Hotel Sankam on your right after you exit from NH4.

Hi Friends,

Planning to leave for Goa on this coming Saturday 12th Oct from Bangalore and as recommended would be taking the Blr-Belgaum-Jamboti-Chorla- Baga route.
So the best route to come out of Belgaum city would be via Gandhi Nagar ( Sankam Residency ) or I can also take the old PB road exit on NH4 and via Teggin Galli- vadgoan Main road and join highway 54 towards Jamboti at Tilakwadi 3rd railway gate ? or will this be to confusing ? Please advise

HarryB

Route map as per Google

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-belguam.jpg
Old 8th October 2013, 12:17   #2358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
....or can I can also take the old PB road exit on NH4 and via Teggin Galli- vadgoan Main road and join highway 54 towards Jamboti at Tilakwadi 3rd railway gate ? or will this be to confusing ? Please advise
Hi Harry, I too would be leaving for North Goa the same day you are.

From what I understood regarding the route you have proposed; it looks like it's going through city areas, and hence, you might lose out on the time vs distance travelled perspective.

The Gandhinagar exit, as suggested above, takes you through SH-54 and NH-4A, and in my opinion it should be a continuous drive with light outskirt-traffic.

Having said that, I am taking this route for the 1st time (have only travelled till Davangere on NH-4) and hence, am solely relying on Ampere's suggestions.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 12:25   #2359
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
I can also take the old PB road exit on NH4 and via Teggin Galli- vadgoan Main road and join highway 54 towards Jamboti at Tilakwadi 3rd railway gate ? or will this be to confusing ? Please advise
The issue is not about taking that road. The point is can you spot it ?
And then comes the issue of if you would spend more time in driving through the city.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 12:38   #2360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Do note, if you start by 4/4:30 from Bangalore, you would have had your first break at Ranebennur about 8:30/9. You would hit Belgaum by 12. That may be too soon for a lunch break. So you should also plan for some thing beyond.
Hi Ampere, last time I travelled on this stretch was till Davangere. It was a leisure trip.

We had breakfast at Kamat in Dobbaspet (on the left-side of NH-4), and had planned for lunch at a Kamat near Davangere (on the left-side of NH-4), however, the Kamat at Davangere was "Out of service". The way it looked, I am not sure if they had any plans to open it again.

We are planning to leave by 5 am (max by 5:15), after just having tea/coffee, and then stop for breakfast somewhere (preferably a Kamat), then continue for another 200/250 kms and break again (not sure about the place and hotel, but suggestions are Welcome), and then finally for lunch at Belgaum (as of now it's Sankam Residency).

After Belgaum, I plan to stop for a break only after descending the ghats. I am yet to figure out the distance from Sankam Residency to North Goa, but I guess it shouldn't be more than 225 kms.

Though the car has in it to stretch continuously for I don't know how many kms, but I would like to take it easy and break every 200/225 kms. That way I can stretch my legs too and let the car cool down as well post a highway run.
Old 8th October 2013, 13:30   #2361
BHPian

Quote:
...I am yet to figure out the distance from Sankam Residency to North Goa, but I guess it shouldn't be more than 225 kms.
The time-limit to edit the post expired, however, I just figured out that its 123 kms as per Google Maps. Considering the ghat section, I think I should be able to reach my destination in 3.5 hrs from Belgaum.
Old 8th October 2013, 13:46   #2362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We had breakfast at Kamat in Dobbaspet (on the left-side of NH-4), and had planned for lunch at a Kamat near Davangere (on the left-side of NH-4), however, the Kamat at Davangere was "Out of service". The way it looked, I am not sure if they had any plans to open it again.
Davanagere Kamat is closed. Even I saw that (in August).

Quote:
We are planning to leave by 5 am (max by 5:15), after just having tea/coffee, and then stop for breakfast somewhere (preferably a Kamat), then continue for another 200/250 kms and break again (not sure about the place and hotel, but suggestions are Welcome), and then finally for lunch at Belgaum (as of now it's Sankam Residency).
See if you can start by 4/4:30. That would take you to Ranebennur (330km) in about 4 hours even with a sedate drive. If you start again by 9, then by 10:15/10:30 you should be at the start of Hubli bypass and at Belgaum by 12 on the dot.

A good tea break in the ghats would be refreshing!
Old 9th October 2013, 12:12   #2363
BHPian

There was a small modification to our return trip made y'day night.

My wife was eager to visit Dudhsagar Falls during this trip, however, on learning that there is no motorable road directly to the falls we had to drop that plan.

So now, on our way back to Bangalore from South Goa, we have decided to visit Jog Falls instead.

So the modified plan for the return journey is -

South Goa -> Jog Falls -> Shimoga (Night Halt) -> Onwards to Bangalore the next day
Old 9th October 2013, 17:23   #2364
BHPian

Returned yesterday-The Dharwad byepass-Alnawar exit-Ramngar-Anmod-Mollem -Ponda-Panjim-Candolim is in decent condition-from home at Hennur road to Candolim 599 kms (yes!) -left 4 am-745-Ranibennur Kamat B/F-Convenience break till 815-reached the Alnawar exit at 930-reached candolim at 110 pm-driving time of 8.5 hrs ! it could have been faster but for the heavy downpour in the ghats on 5th (pl note there was a land slide reported in Goa press on Chorla ghats the same time)

Condition :

Alnawar to Ramnagar-very good except -two patches both near some level crossings.Almost NIL traffic

Ramnagar to Anmod-Pothole city!!-but manageable-once you enter Mollem no pot holes...

while returning-there was no rains-but it took 9.5 hrs thanks to Traffic at Goa and Bangalore.

Enjoy and safe driving.
subbu567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 17:55   #2365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbu567 View Post
(pl note there was a land slide reported in Goa press on Chorla ghats the same time)
Hi Subbu,

Do you have any more updates to share on the Chorla route? I am driving down to Goa this Saturday and have finalized this route, via Belgaum.

Appreciate your inputs. Thanks!
Old 9th October 2013, 18:17   #2366
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Subbu,

Do you have any more updates to share on the Chorla route? I am driving down to Goa this Saturday and have finalized this route, via Belgaum.

Appreciate your inputs. Thanks!
pl read this

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...ajor-landslide

-it has now been cleared it looks like-how ever would recommend the above route-should you smell rain.Have a great trip

subbu567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 19:48   #2367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbu567 View Post

pl read this

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...ajor-landslide

Presently, the condition of the Chorla Ghat
road which connects Panaji to Belgaum has
deteriorated and is full of pot holes.
Well...this line has got me worried now. While no one can precisely predict landslides, but the fact that this road is no longer uniform is making me rethink whether I should still go ahead.

Any suggestions, Ampere?

Thanks Subbu.

Did you travel via this route-

Dharwad bypass-Alnawar exit-Ramngar-Anmod-Mollem -Ponda-Panjim-Candolim

Last edited by Safety is Param : 9th October 2013 at 19:54.
Old 9th October 2013, 21:09   #2368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any suggestions, Ampere?
Thats the route you take then. You have answered it yourself ! Decent route. Check updates by folks in recent posts.
Old 9th October 2013, 21:25   #2369
BHPian

I saw Subbu's update while leaving the office and the first look at the article, and the particular line in that article, kind of unsettled me.

I gave it a 2nd thought while driving back home and am now thinking to print all the coordinates of this alternative route as well.

I have already printed the coordinates of the original planned route and fed into Sygic as individual way points.

Tomorrow and the day after, I will keep a tab on Google and see whats the latest update.

Finally, on friday evening I will call the hotel n check if they have any detailed updates. Since the impending weekend is long I am sure all routes to Goa will have traffic.

Just my thoughts!
Old 9th October 2013, 21:29   #2370
BHPian

Quote:

Did you travel via this route-

Hi, Safety, Go ahead and take the above route. I just drove back this route today to Bangalore. Subbu has pretty much summarized it clearly in his post which you had seen. The 30km stretch between Anmod and Mollem has to be driven carefully and watch out for monster potholes all of a sudden. Hence drive at a manageable 30~40Km / hour in this stretch and you will be through.

My onward journey was through Yellapur-Karwar and the entire stretch was very good.

Have a great drive.
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks