Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 15:32   #91
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Ampere / Ragul

Thanks for your advice. I will explore more on this dharmapuri route and update you. From the google maps it looks doable and the increased distance is not a big deal if the roads between Dharmapuri and Tiruvannamalai is good. But if it turns out to be bad, then it makes life even more miserable. Did anybody travel on the Dharmapuri - Tiruvannamalai route recently?
Old 4th May 2011, 16:02   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Ampere / Ragul

Thanks for your advice. I will explore more on this dharmapuri route and update you. From the google maps it looks doable and the increased distance is not a big deal if the roads between Dharmapuri and Tiruvannamalai is good. But if it turns out to be bad, then it makes life even more miserable. Did anybody travel on the Dharmapuri - Tiruvannamalai route recently?
That is exactly what I meant. I am not sure of that stretch. But what I know is that, its the same SH, which one takes while starting from Tiruvannamalai to go to Sathanur dam.
I did that route some time back.

One needs to take this SH for about 15-20 km and turn to the dam. So at least those 20km looked very good and the SH looked in good shape. But I dont know how good its beyond.
Old 4th May 2011, 17:45   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That is exactly what I meant. I am not sure of that stretch. But what I know is that, its the same SH, which one takes while starting from Tiruvannamalai to go to Sathanur dam.
I did that route some time back.

One needs to take this SH for about 15-20 km and turn to the dam. So at least those 20km looked very good and the SH looked in good shape. But I dont know how good its beyond.
Some local cab drivers near Vellore Golden Temple mentioned that Vellore->Thiruvannamalai (and hence Pallikonda->Thiruvannamalai too) road is in a decent condition too. Just a clue to explore in case it is a temple trip and Vellore also fits in the itenary.
Old 4th May 2011, 18:09   #94
Team-BHP Support

Good point. You can go to Vellore, visit Golden Temple, take the SH via Arani to Gingee and come to Tiruvannamalai. On return the take the route via Harur/Dharmapuri.

Bengaluru, Karnataka to Bengaluru, Karnataka - Google Maps

EDIT: Not sure of the Marappur-Karimangalam road status. If good that can used by-pass even Dharmapuri (Not sure of this aspect. Just figured out from Google Maps)

Last edited by ampere : 4th May 2011 at 18:11.
Old 4th May 2011, 21:08   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Good point. You can go to Vellore, visit Golden Temple, take the SH via Arani to Gingee and come to Tiruvannamalai. On return the take the route via Harur/Dharmapuri.
Apart from Golden Temple, Vellore also has got a beautiful fort which is worth visiting.
Old 5th May 2011, 16:46   #96
BHPian

Dear All, Thanks for the inputs. The plan is only for Tiruvannamalai visit. So I will try the Dharmapuri route as suggested by ampere and a couple of others. I will update the road conditions once I make the trip in 2 weeks time.

Thanks once again for all your inputs
Old 16th May 2011, 18:01   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
I will update the road conditions once I make the trip in 2 weeks time.
Gopikb,

Any update on this alternative route? How good are the road conditions from Dharmapuri to TVM?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 17th May 2011, 12:37   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
Gopikb,

Any update on this alternative route? How good are the road conditions from Dharmapuri to TVM?

Thanks,
Greg
Greg, Could not make it last week due to some unfinished work at home. I will have to defer the trip by atleast a month now. But our road guru hvkumar stated it would be a better bet going through Vellore where he knows the road from Vellore to Tiruvannamalai is good. The road condition between Dharmapuri and Tiruvannamalai still remains a mystery. Guess none of the Tbhp members had a chance to drive through this road yet. Sorry, I am not being able to help here
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:49   #99

Hi All,

Went to Tiruvannamalai and back on 21-22 May. The route from Krishnagiri still varies between horrible and smooth. First 20 km after Krishnagiri is moon-like craters. Have to be real careful. (Also its mango season, so lots of mangoes on the way). Then a 50 km stretch that's decent, with lot of patch work. Need to be careful because some potholes just jump at you. Another added dimension is the shade of the trees. The potholes become even more deceptive because of the shade. The last 30 km is recently done I think so it is pretty smooth.

Anyway, we did the trips in roughly 5 hours each way (starting from Bellandur), taking 1 big break (40 min) and 3-4 small 5 min breaks for our baby. She is 7 months old and gets annoyed in the car seat. So need to take her out for a short walk and then she gets happy!!

Hope this helps.
Anshul
anshul_UVA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:39   #100
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshul_UVA View Post
The last 30 km is recently done I think so it is pretty smooth.
Thanks, anshul_UVA, for the update. When I drove on this route in last December, the last 30 km [Chengam-Thiruvannamalai] bore the brunt of the monsoon. Glad to note that it is made smooth now.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 23rd May 2011 at 12:42.

Old 23rd May 2011, 13:10   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Glad to note that it is made smooth now.
No way its smooth. The patch work is done only at the initial stretch from Krishnagiri and then it gets terrible.

Just returned from a 2 day trip over the weekend. I cannot comment on the Chengam-TVM route, as I had to go to another place, but heard that its quiet ok.

I took the BLR-Krishnagiri-Mathur-Uthangarai-Singarapettai-Chengam route while going and as mentioned its just so sick. Deep potholes and at one point the drive was so stressful.

I tried a different route while coming back. Chengam-Singarapettai-Uthangarai-Tirupattur-Bargur-Krishnagiri. At Uthangarai there is a route (right turn) to Tirupattur (~24 Kms) which is very good. Potholes here and there, but completely negligible compared to the other route. Just before Tirupattur there is a deviation (which I missed and had to drive through bad roads for around 2Kms with road work going on) that avoids going inside the town and joins back on the Bargur road. Ask for directions. Work is going on and expect this road to be completely done in couple of weeks. From Tirupattur, its 40 Kms to Krishnagiri and you will join Blore-Chennai highway14 kms before Krishnagiri.

By my calculations it added up another 12 - 15 Kms more to my journey, but completely fruitful taking this route.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Greg
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:34   #102
J.Ravi

Quote:
I tried a different route while coming back. Chengam-Singarapettai-Uthangarai-Tirupattur-Bargur-Krishnagiri. completely fruitful taking this route.
I had traveled on this route via Tirupattur long back. I will try Tirupattur route for my next Pondy visit. Thanks for suggestion, samabhi.

Old 23rd May 2011, 15:11   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Thanks for suggestion, samabhi.
Sure. You are welcome. Let us know whether the road work is completed when you travel.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:38   #104
Team-BHP Support

Good to note that the Tirupattur option is a good one. Only point folks need to note is while going to Tiruvannamalai, they need to watch out for Bargur exit and within the town ask for the road to Tirupattur.

While doing high speeds on NH46, its very easy to miss the Bargur exit.
Old 24th May 2011, 11:50   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good to note that the Tirupattur option is a good one. Only point folks need to note is while going to Tiruvannamalai, they need to watch out for Bargur exit and within the town ask for the road to Tirupattur.

While doing high speeds on NH46, its very easy to miss the Bargur exit.
Actually I used to take the turn off a little further on NH46 just before Natrampalli. It used to be a decent single lane road. If my memory serves correct Tirupathur used to 14 kms or so from there. You need to take a U turn and join the road, the turnoff used to be marked on the signboard, off late I don't travel towards Tiruvannamalai from Bangalore so do not make it a point to notice for this turnoff.

Quote:
I tried a different route while coming back. Chengam-Singarapettai-Uthangarai-Tirupattur-Bargur-Krishnagiri. At Uthangarai there is a route (right turn) to Tirupattur (~24 Kms) which is very good. Potholes here and there, but completely negligible compared to the other route. Just before Tirupattur there is a deviation (which I missed and had to drive through bad roads for around 2Kms with road work going on) that avoids going inside the town and joins back on the Bargur road. Ask for directions. Work is going on and expect this road to be completely done in couple of weeks. From Tirupattur, its 40 Kms to Krishnagiri and you will join Blore-Chennai highway14 kms before Krishnagiri.

By my calculations it added up another 12 - 15 Kms more to my journey, but completely fruitful taking this route.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Greg
You can actually take the Tirupathur - Singarapettai option which would be shorter. It used to be a decent single lane road with not much traffic. The turn off is marked at Singarapettai town.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks