Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2014, 20:31   #241
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
from my experience on this stretch, (tvmalai - thanipadi - small ghat section) was really poor road surface, and the repair patchwork did not make any difference as the patching was done really badly without any levelling whatsoever. I don't remember any continuous 2km stretch without getting jolts from the patches. Is it the same now ?

However, I remember the (ghat section - theerthamalai-harur-karimangalam) to be very good surface. Hope this has stayed the same now.
The whole section very decent and I do not recall any bad patches. Probably I was benchmarking against Utharangarai-tvmalai in my mind or my aviator was taking the bad patches in its stride. But overtly bad patches.
Old 25th July 2014, 16:03   #242
BHPian

Many Thanks to ampere and im_srini, their inputs helped me in a smooth travel to Tiruvannamali last weekend.

I took the below route:
Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Karimangalam-Morappur-Harur-Thanipadi-Tiruvannamalai.

Leisure driving with family and kids in a sedan took 4:30 hours with a short coffee/snack break. The overall road condition is good and a small stretch has patchy/pot holes but manageable.
ark_rover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 16:59   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark_rover View Post
Many Thanks to ampere and im_srini, their inputs helped me in a smooth travel to Tiruvannamali last weekend.

I took the below route:
Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Karimangalam-Morappur-Harur-Thanipadi-Tiruvannamalai.

Leisure driving with family and kids in a sedan took 4:30 hours with a short coffee/snack break. The overall road condition is good and a small stretch has patchy/pot holes but manageable.
I guess the stretch from Naripalli to T V Malai is as bumpy as before
Old 29th July 2014, 19:36   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I guess the stretch from Naripalli to T V Malai is as bumpy as before
Yes correct, the road was bit bumpy, but as I was maintaining a speed of 60 to 70km I did not find this a major hurdle and the traffic was also very sparse.
But I guess this alternate route is a blessing and better when compared to the original Uthanagarai route.
Old 7th September 2014, 13:03   #245
BHPian

Yesterday ( 7th Sep'14) , I have traveled to T-Malai, in my XUV500. Though I have read out the route details, I thought Karimangalam bypass is on Krishnagiri- chennai highway. So taken left at Krishnagiri and Immediately I have seen Thiruvannamalai Exit. I have taken it unfortunately and it was the life time blunder I made.

Literally there were no roads from Krishnagiri - Uthankarai - chengam- Tmali and this stretch alone took me three and half hours, and total journey from Bangalore took six hours.

I dont see any where between krishnagiri and tmalai(almost 100km) that the road work is progressing. Stating that, it will take atleast two more years to complete, if they resume now.

But while return, I took the Tmalai-Thanipadi-morrapur-karimangalam-kgiri-bangalore route. It is quite good and we reached Bangalore whitefield in four hours thirteen min with 30 min dinner break.

I would strongly suggest our members , not to take uthankarai route atleast for next two years.

My two cents.
double is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 13:35   #246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by double View Post
Yesterday ( 7th Sep'14) , I have traveled to T-Malai, in my XUV500.

Quote:
I would strongly suggest our members , not to take uthankarai route atleast for next two years.
Guys please take a look. If a member with an XUV states that, you know what the roads are! If they fix this stretch, the drive to Tanjore/KMU would be so easy.
Old 7th September 2014, 13:38   #247
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I'm returning to this thread after a long time. As everyone pointed the NH66 is under going widening work. The earlier single lane is getting converted to 2 lane road without divider. (2 lanes each direction).

As usual this is not a major traffic road the progress is very slow and atleast last 3 years it is going on in a snail phase. The best way to reach Tiruvannamalai today is:

Bangalore -> Krishnagiri -> Vellore -(SH-9) Tirvannamalai

You can visit Sripuram golden temple, Vellor Fort Jalakanteeswarar temple, Parvadha malai (venture only if you are fit and no kids or elders accompanied), Tiruvannamalai.

While in Tiruvannamalai, do not miss the opportunity to go to Thiruvarangam temple on Manalurpet road (the road may not be that great but distance is around 25-30kms hence should be ok). This temple is on the Thenpennai river shore hence a beautiful scenic place. This temple was built before Srirangam temple. The sanctum has a large sleeping vishu deity which you are allowed to go at most close distance.

Since Thiruvarangam is Vaishnavist temple avoid saturdays, Puratasi (tamil month) and other important days of Vishnavas. Make sure you also don't step into Saivist days on your plan as Tiruvannamalai will be crowed on those days (particularly Pradhosam, Full moon days, Weekends, Deepam festival days etc.)
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 09:23   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Guys,

I'm returning to this thread after a long time. As everyone pointed the NH66 is under going widening work. The earlier single lane is getting converted to 2 lane road without divider. (2 lanes each direction).

As usual this is not a major traffic road the progress is very slow and atleast last 3 years it is going on in a snail phase. The best way to reach Tiruvannamalai today is:

Bangalore -> Krishnagiri -> Vellore -(SH-9) Tirvannamalai

You can visit Sripuram golden temple, Vellor Fort Jalakanteeswarar temple, Parvadha malai (venture only if you are fit and no kids or elders accompanied), Tiruvannamalai.

While in Tiruvannamalai, do not miss the opportunity to go to Thiruvarangam temple on Manalurpet road (the road may not be that great but distance is around 25-30kms hence should be ok). This temple is on the Thenpennai river shore hence a beautiful scenic place. This temple was built before Srirangam temple. The sanctum has a large sleeping vishu deity which you are allowed to go at most close distance.

Since Thiruvarangam is Vaishnavist temple avoid saturdays, Puratasi (tamil month) and other important days of Vishnavas. Make sure you also don't step into Saivist days on your plan as Tiruvannamalai will be crowed on those days (particularly Pradhosam, Full moon days, Weekends, Deepam festival days etc.)
The other preferred alternate route is via Krishnagiri-Kambainallur-Morappur-Harur-Thanipadi to T V Malai

One more piece of info about Adhi Thiruvarangam temple at Manalurpet. This temple does not close for Lunch.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 12:09   #249
BHPian

Any info on karimangalam harur tirukoilur stretch? Thank
s in advance
Old 14th September 2014, 17:17   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
s in advance
As far as Harur-Thanipadi-T V Malai-Tirukkoilur route is concerned, you will encounter bumpy roads from Naripalli (post Harur) onwards till T V Malai due to poor patch work of the roads.
Once you reach T V malai outer (GH Hospital) ask for Gorimettu street. Through this you can jump to Tirukkoilur by pass road without entering T V Malai.
There is one more option too. Once you reach T V Malai GH, you can also go to Tirukkoilur via Manalurpet. I have been on this stretch twice before. The last visit was in Oct 2013. The roads were in excellent condition

I would recommend tirukkoilur by pass road as the roads are in excellent condition but watch out for couple of giant size speed breakers.
Hope this helps
Old 14th September 2014, 17:18   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
s in advance
Are you referring to Thanipadi-Sankarapuram-Thirukkoilur? I expect the Sanakarpuram-Thirukkoilur road to be good. The only question is about Thanadi to the point where it meets Sanakarpuram-TV Malai road. Rest should be good. Also I expect Thirukkpolur-Villupuram-Pondi to be a narrow road. If you cut through to TV Malai Villupuram section, it should be OK.

Last edited by ampere : 14th September 2014 at 17:19.
Old 15th September 2014, 09:07   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Are you referring to Thanipadi-Sankarapuram-Thirukkoilur? I expect the Sanakarpuram-Thirukkoilur road to be good. The only question is about Thanadi to the point where it meets Sanakarpuram-TV Malai road. Rest should be good. Also I expect Thirukkpolur-Villupuram-Pondi to be a narrow road. If you cut through to TV Malai Villupuram section, it should be OK.
Amp, My office colleague's wife's home town is Kallakurichi. He said that he went on the Sankarapuram route once. The roads were in a very bad condition. Even in my case when i reached Thanipadi, the locals discouraged me from taking the Sankarapuram route. They said the roads were bad
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 09:24   #253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Amp, My office colleague's wife's home town is Kallakurichi. He said that he went on the Sankarapuram route once. The roads were in a very bad condition. Even in my case when i reached Thanipadi, the locals discouraged me from taking the Sankarapuram route. They said the roads were bad
Thanks Suresh. That helps. I thought we might use this as an option to beat the big detour of Salem-Attur-Kallakurichi to find a shorter distance to Kumbakonam/Mayavaram.

Krishnagiri-Harur-Tanipadi-Sankarapuram-Kallakurichi-Veppur-Vridhachalam and there on. But looks like not worth it.
Old 13th October 2014, 11:32   #254
BHPian

Had been to TVMalai from Bangalore last weekend. Took Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - TVMalai route while going. While coming back took TVMalai - Harur - Dharmapuri - Bangalore.

Vellore route ~ 285 kms (~200 kms 6-lane, ~85 kms 2-lane)
Pros: Roads are good all through. Till Vellore it is mostly 6-lane, and from Vellore to TVMalai it is 2-lane but good surface with moderate traffic.
Cons: Distance is more compared to other options. Tolls, 2 of them, from Krishnagiri to Vellore, around Rs.150

Left around 5 AM and reached TVMalai around 9.45 AM with a 30 min breakfast break at Vellore. Went into Vellore town to have breakfast. Though distance is more, I think excellent road surface compensates for it.

Harur route ~ 250 kms (~130 kms 6-lane, ~120 kms 2-lane)
Pros: Shorter distance compared to Vellore route. Good roads almost all through, except around 50 kms. Avoid the 2 tolls from Krishnagiri to Vellore
Cons: Rough patches till Naripalli from TVMalai, which is about 50kms. But doable at decent speeds of 60-70.

Left around 10 AM and reached Bangalore around 4 PM with 1.5 hours break for tea and lunch in between.

I touched Dharmapuri as I couldn't map the direct route from Morappur to Karimangalam successfully using my Nokia Here maps in phone. Otherwise could have saved around 17kms/15 min. However, the Dharmapuri route was also not bad as it had good surface.
Old 13th October 2014, 11:39   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk_fiesta View Post
Had been to TVMalai from Bangalore last weekend. Took Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - TVMalai route while going. While coming back took TVMalai - Harur - Dharmapuri - Bangalore.

Vellore route ~ 285 kms (~200 kms 6-lane, ~85 kms 2-lane)
Pros: Roads are good all through. Till Vellore it is mostly 6-lane, and from Vellore to TVMalai it is 2-lane but good surface with moderate traffic.
Cons: Distance is more compared to other options. Tolls, 2 of them, from Krishnagiri to Vellore, around Rs.150

Left around 5 AM and reached TVMalai around 9.45 AM with a 30 min breakfast break at Vellore. Went into Vellore town to have breakfast. Though distance is more, I think excellent road surface compensates for it.

Harur route ~ 250 kms (~130 kms 6-lane, ~120 kms 2-lane)
Pros: Shorter distance compared to Vellore route. Good roads almost all through, except around 50 kms. Avoid the 2 tolls from Krishnagiri to Vellore
Cons: Rough patches till Naripalli from TVMalai, which is about 50kms. But doable at decent speeds of 60-70.

Left around 10 AM and reached Bangalore around 4 PM with 1.5 hours break for tea and lunch in between.

I touched Dharmapuri as I couldn't map the direct route from Morappur to Karimangalam successfully using my Nokia Here maps in phone. Otherwise could have saved around 17kms/15 min. However, the Dharmapuri route was also not bad as it had good surface.
The rough patches from Naripalli to T V Malai are not really a cause for concern but the drive becomes bumpy if you exceed 60 kmph. I too experienced the same.
For both the onward and return trip, i went via Harur, Morappur, kambainallur, Karimangalam, Vellichandai, Rayakottai and Hosur. Did not pay any toll.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks