Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2015, 08:09   #331
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

And yes great to know about the temple. Instead of driving back, I would prefer to spend the day (and night) at Thiruvannamalai. So looks like there are quite many good temples around. Last time I went, I visited Mylam along TV Malai and Sathanur. Will add Thiruvaranagaram for the next visit. There is a temple at Theerthamalai also. Need to find more on that.

Great update on the roads as well. I have no doubts on Karimangalam-Harur-TV Malai stretch. But always had a doubt on the Bondai option to Sakarapuram. Your update clears it up.

Also it would be good, when ever you take this option, find a good break point at Sankarapuram/Kallakurichi. Because, for sure, when one takes this option, he would bypass Ulundurpet totally to head to Veppur and there on to Vridhachalam. So from that point of a good hotel at Sankarapuram or Kallakurichi would be very helpful.
Yes Amp, The Shiva temple in Theerthamalai is more than 1000 yrs old. It is a hill temple and a must visit place. In fact In Harur we have a place called Hanumantheertham.
As regards the Bondai option, I first asked the locals about the road condition as to if a car can go and whether there are any potholes. They gave me a clean chit on this. Infact I saw lorries and school vans plying on this route.
As you enter the road, we have minor potholes only in the middle portion of the road. This is for a few meters and then road becomes super smooth.

There is also a petrol bunk enroute. The only drawback of the Karimangalam-Perungolathur stretch is the lack of good hotels to break for lunch. Now that Hotel Aryaas is closed, Sree Saravana Bhavan (3 kms from krishnagiri-NH46 junction) is the only option.

For Kumbakonam, in addition to what you have mentioned I would suggest coming via Perungolathur till one meets the T V Malai-Kallakurichi SH. Then proceed further beyond Sankarapuram till you meet Kallakurichi. From here one can enjoy the NH drive all the way till Ulundurpet.
Old 17th March 2016, 18:30   #332
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Tiruvannamalai and Vellore and back to Bangalore this Saturday with my family.
I have few queries.

1. How is the condition of NH66 now?
2. How is the road condition between Tiruvannamalai to Vellore?
Old 17th March 2016, 19:24   #333
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Don't even try it, especially between Krishnagiri and Tiruvannamalai. This has always been a mixed bag with good small stretches, craters and even more horrible sections, most of the craters will get you by surprise.
For Bangalore-Tiruvannamalai the alternate route is now via Morappur-Teerthamalai-Tiruvannamalai. Again, Teerthamalai-Tiruvannamalai is a bit rough but doable. You can consider this route in reverse order since you're coming back from Vellore.
But if you really don't have a reason to go to Tiruvannamalai, I'd say just take the NH46 and come back from Vellore via Krishnagiri to Bangalore.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 06:48   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Hi All,

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Tiruvannamalai and Vellore and back to Bangalore this Saturday with my family.
I have few queries.

2. How is the road condition between Tiruvannamalai to Vellore?
The trusted route to T V Malai is via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Kambainallur, Morappur,Harur, Theerthamalai, Thanipadi. Post Harur the roads are Okish but very much doable.
May be for the return leg of your journey, you can try to come Via Polur. But never go via NH66
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 22:46   #335
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Thanks. Was planning to take the NH66 route, and came across your post.
Old 11th April 2016, 06:50   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodrkn View Post
Thanks. Was planning to take the NH66 route, and came across your post.
To go to T V Malai, the better option as of now is Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Kambainallur, Morappur, Harur, Theerthamalai, Thanipadi.
The other option is via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Vellore and Polur. But never take the NH66 route.
Old 11th April 2016, 09:34   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
To go to T V Malai, the better option as of now is Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Kambainallur, Morappur, Harur, Theerthamalai, Thanipadi.
The other option is via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Vellore and Polur. But never take the NH66 route.
Thanks Suresh. Will take the first Option while going. Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Kambainallur, Morappur, Harur, Theerthamalai, Thanipadi.
Old 24th April 2016, 22:49   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Suresh, to update - I took the Bangalore-Vellore route both ways, and that's a breeze. Took 5 hours including a 20-minute break. The roads are great all the way till Tiruvannamalai. Only check-points are that if one is using google maps to navigate, before reaching Vellore, it will start asking you to take a right toward Sripuram. Best would be to ignore, get to Vellore and follow-through from there. Trip made on 16, 17 April 2016.
vinodrkn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 12:20   #339
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Does anyone have an update on the below route from Chengam to Polur. Has anyone traveled before on this stretch

Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries-chengam-polur-route.gif
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 14:40   #340
Senior - BHPian

Folks

I had been to my father's native village near Dharmapuri along with him and my mom yesterday. We went via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Kambainallur, Odasalpatti and Koot road. My observations go like this.

1. After paying toll at Krishnagiri, on encounters broken sections of tarmac at many places on the NH. Saw work was going on in full swing in patching up the broken sections
2. The Karimangalam junction - Kambainallur road is very good to drive except for one particular stretch where the road is not in good shape. This is for about roughly 400 m. Likewise inside Kambainallur town, looks like some bridge construction is going on. So effectively a single lane is available to commute on both the sides.
3. After crossing Kambainallur, there is a board on the left mentioning ODASALPATTI 8 KMS. We took this road which is a single lane road. I would rate this road condition to be about 85% good. There are no potholes on the bad stretches except for broken tarmac.
4. Once you proceed on this road to Odasalpatti, you reach the dead end wherein the left takes you to Harur while the right takes you to Dharmapuri
5. We took a right and after about a km or so , we reached the koot road junction. from here we took the left that takes to my father's native village. I will use one word to describe this condition of the road from Koot road junction to my father's village

BRILLIANT.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 22:03   #341
BHPian

Is this still the best route: Hosur, Krishnagiri, Kambainallur, Morappur, Harur, Theerthamalai, Thanipadi.?

How is the route via Chengam? I am planning on a trip BLR-TMalai tomorrow morning.
Old 25th August 2016, 23:18   #342
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
Is this still the best route: Hosur, Krishnagiri, Kambainallur, Morappur, Harur, Theerthamalai, Thanipadi.?

How is the route via Chengam? I am planning on a trip BLR-TMalai tomorrow morning.
After the Chennai turn off at Krishnagiri, drive further on Nh 7 towards Dharmapuri. About 20-25km later you will see an exit with signage for Karimangalam and Morappur, take this turn off to left and you will be on the Harur route.
Alternative is to go via Vellore & Polur that road is good too and not too much more in distance. For this you should exit on to the Chennai road and go via Vellore.

Avoid the Chengam/NH 66 (old numbering) route like the Plague

Last edited by NPV : 25th August 2016 at 23:21.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 05:44   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
After the Chennai turn off at Krishnagiri, drive further on Nh 7 towards Dharmapuri. About 20-25km later you will see an exit with signage for Karimangalam and Morappur, take this turn off to left and you will be on the Harur route.
Alternative is to go via Vellore & Polur that road is good too and not too much more in distance. For this you should exit on to the Chennai road and go via Vellore.

Avoid the Chengam/NH 66 (old numbering) route like the Plague
This is just in time NPV, I was about to start. You just saved me from a bad day on road . Thank you!

Google says both the routes take the same time. I will take the Vellore route on the way up and come back via Polur.
Old 26th August 2016, 06:33   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post

In the last week of May 2016, I drove from Chetpet to Bangalore via Polur, Chengam, Singarapettai, Tirupattur and Bargur. Very good roads all the way. Infact after Chengam, work is in progress for widening the roads. No issues however.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 06:48   #345
BHPian

Quote:
In the last week of May 2016, I drove from Chetpet to Bangalore via Polur, Chengam, Singarapettai, Tirupattur and Bargur. Very good roads all the way. Infact after Chengam, work is in progress for widening the roads. No issues however.
Suresh - are you suggesting I take the straight route to TMalai via Chengam? That will save an hour. If the roads are good, I would love to take this route.
If not, I will take the Vellore route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks