Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2015, 10:51   #271
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
I have had experiences wherein I have been sent to different places (during old times), based on the directions given by people. I think language is a barrier sometimes or the person may have misunderstood the destination
the real reason why sometimes "asking for directions" leads to trouble is because people are hesitant to say "I don't know, ask someone else" - once you stop your car and ask someone for directions, they feel obliged to give route directions & hence what we perceive as "solid local knowledge" may really be guesswork. But in my experience, they are all well meaning good samaritans and spend a lot of time explaining the route (multiple times), road conditions etc.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 08:40   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
the real reason why sometimes "asking for directions" leads to trouble is because people are hesitant to say "I don't know, ask someone else" - once you stop your car and ask someone for directions, they feel obliged to give route directions & hence what we perceive as "solid local knowledge" may really be guesswork. But in my experience, they are all well meaning good samaritans and spend a lot of time explaining the route (multiple times), road conditions etc.
Till date i have had good experiences with the locals while asking for directions. On many a occasion, they advised/cautioned me while taking a particular route. In my case i am comfortable asking them for route guidance when in doubt.
Old 16th January 2015, 13:07   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Till date i have had good experiences with the locals while asking for directions. On many a occasion, they advised/cautioned me while taking a particular route. In my case i am comfortable asking them for route guidance when in doubt.
+1 Totally agree.

I recollect which I read somewhere from one of GTO's post long back, In India, first GPS is roll down your windows and ask the locals and then rely on the GPS Devices

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 10:23   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
See this post by Suresh and some of the following ones too.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...amalai-14.html
Quote:
I will suggest the following route
Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Kambainallur,Morappur, Harur, Thanipadi, T V Malai GH. After reaching T V Malai GH, ask for Gorimettu street. This small road leads you to Thirukkoilur by pass road.
Quote:
These places are very much on google maps. Infact i had been on this stretch in the last week of december. Instead of totally relying on google maps I would recommend you to ask the locals if in doubt. I follow the same practice and it is safe. Sometimes google maps can mislead you
Ampere and Suresh, my friend successfully concluded his trip to Thirukoilure and Cuddalore, based on the inputs given by you. Though I have not asked for details, I believe he faced no issues anywhere. Given that he had just one day to travel and back, looks like he was not inclined to nit pick about the road conditions, or pass on some useful details back here. Many thanks on his behalf for your timely assistance. Much appreciated.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 27th January 2015 at 10:24.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 18:21   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Ampere and Suresh, my friend successfully concluded his trip to Thirukoilure and Cuddalore, based on the inputs given by you. Though I have not asked for details, I believe he faced no issues anywhere. Given that he had just one day to travel and back, looks like he was not inclined to nit pick about the road conditions, or pass on some useful details back here. Many thanks on his behalf for your timely assistance. Much appreciated.
Did your friend complete the trip in the same day ??

It must have been a tiring drive. Also did he find time to visit temples. Hope he has not missed Thiruvahindrapuram having gone to Cuddalore.
Old 28th January 2015, 16:04   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Did your friend complete the trip in the same day ??

It must have been a tiring drive. Also did he find time to visit temples. Hope he has not missed Thiruvahindrapuram having gone to Cuddalore.
Sorry if I gave you that impression. He left on Saturday and came back on Sunday night. He could not visit the temples as well due to a marriage function, which was the primary reason to visit the region.

Given that he is not a frequent long distance driver (once in two years!), he was not excited about entire drive. He said everything was ok, and said many thanks to this community.
Old 19th February 2015, 11:52   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Thiruvannamalai - Bangalore on way back from Pondicherry last Monday. Road from Thindivanam to Thiruvannamalai is in bad shape at many places, the situation improves a bit once your cross Gingee.

From Thiruvannamalai took Harur - Morappur - Kadambarahalli - Karimangalam route to join NH 7. Road conditions are good, thought there is a good chance you may loose way. Advise to keep asking for directions to next town at each junction.
Old 19th February 2015, 12:04   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Did Thiruvannamalai - Bangalore on way back from Pondicherry last Monday. Road from Thindivanam to Thiruvannamalai is in bad shape at many places, the situation improves a bit once your cross Gingee.

From Thiruvannamalai took Harur - Morappur - Kadambarahalli - Karimangalam route to join NH 7. Road conditions are good, thought there is a good chance you may loose way. Advise to keep asking for directions to next town at each junction.
How are the road conditions from T V Malai till Naripalli. I believe the roads are patched up unevenly thus making it a bumpy drive if one exceeds 60 kmph.
Old 19th February 2015, 14:07   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How are the road conditions from T V Malai till Naripalli.
Yes there is road work going on at many places. We saw re-surfacing being done on this route. Also, there were few places where they were constructing medians.

However overall, there is nothing to worry about. Since it is a two lane road we were anyways keeping speed around 70 KMPH range.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2015, 06:50   #280
BHPian

Hi all,
I am planning a drive from Pondicherry to Bangalore next week. The usual route I take is Vandavasi->Arcot->K'Giri which comes upto 375 kms with good roads throughout. Google Maps shows another alternative as TV'Malai->Harur->Karimangalam->K'Giri with a distance of 340 kms. Since the distance is less, I am tempted to take the latter. Can anyone advise on the road conditions? Is it worth taking this road?
Old 28th March 2015, 09:13   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
. Google Maps shows another alternative as TV'Malai->Harur->Karimangalam->K'Giri with a distance of 340 kms
We took this route on way back from Pondicherry last month. Road conditions between Thindivanam and Thiruvannamallai is bad, unless you plan to visit Thiruvannamallai temple this is an option I would not suggest. You can check the road pics in my Pondicherry travelogue.
Old 28th March 2015, 09:57   #282
BHPian

Quote:
We took this route on way back from Pondicherry last month. Road conditions between Thindivanam and Thiruvannamallai is bad, unless you plan to visit Thiruvannamallai temple this is an option I would not suggest. You can check the road pics in my Pondicherry travelogue.
Thanks for the prompt reply
I would prefer Villupuram->Vettavalam-Thiruvannamalai....I am concerned about the parts between TV Malai and Karimangalam
Old 28th March 2015, 14:57   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
am concerned about the parts between TV Malai and Karimangalam
Past Thiruvannamallai road condition is OK. There was resurfacing going on some ten KMs from Thiruvannamallai, else no issues.
Old 28th March 2015, 15:37   #284
BHPian

Thanks! How long does it take from TV Malai to Silk Board in this route while driving sedately (<=90kmph )
Old 28th March 2015, 15:57   #285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi all,
I am planning a drive from Pondicherry to Bangalore next week. The usual route I take is Vandavasi->Arcot->K'Giri which comes upto 375 kms with good roads throughout. Google Maps shows another alternative as TV'Malai->Harur->Karimangalam->K'Giri with a distance of 340 kms. Since the distance is less, I am tempted to take the latter. Can anyone advise on the road conditions? Is it worth taking this road?
Quote:
As @mpk said its just fine.

If its all about exploring a new route then by all means go ahead. But dont do Tindivanam/Gingee/Tiruvannamalai. But take the Villupuram/Thirukkoilur/Tiruvannamalai. Thats much better. As regards to the route beyond; Its fine till Harur via Thanipadi. Harare-Morappur is a wide 2-lane road with quite some twisties. Morappur-Karimangalam is a single lane good road.

If you are looking at an alternative road to reduce distance, this is not the one. Because the narrow 2-lanes will slow you down till Karimangalam.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks