Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 09:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

I think you should have the State Map and the district map of the States, both of which are available widely. Publisher does not matter. I found the Eicher State maps good but flimsy to handle - printed on art paper, not on thick practical-to-read paper. IMS maps are also good.
Old 9th January 2009, 09:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

kumar a quickie for you, does Eicher have a single map which covers the southern states(KA,KL and TN) ? Have checked their website and found only statewise maps.
Old 9th January 2009, 09:44   #33
BHPian

Does anybody have the mapsofindia CD ? Is it accurate and useful? Was thinking of buying some good "soft map".

Eicher maps are listed online here. I dont think they sell it online though. But then you can buy most maps, including Eicher, online here

Last edited by appuchan : 9th January 2009 at 09:47.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Can you please mention the exact title and ISBN for the Lonely planet map/book?

Regards
Rex
I had searched for and ordered this book from a couple of online stores like rediff and indiatimes etc. After taking the orders they came back to me saying that the book was out of stock. It is out of stock at indiamapstore also.

The only place they seem to have this book is at Books > India And Bangladesh Road Atlas and it costs Rs. 768. The older edition was Rs. 400 or so. This was published in 2001 and I hope they latest edition has updated maps. Since I bought the Eicher Road Atlas, I did not buy this book.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:12   #35
BHPian

I would also suggest Eicher maps. They are good and handy. The print quality is also very good.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:26   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Does anybody have the mapsofindia CD ? Is it accurate and useful? Was thinking of buying some good "soft map".

Eicher maps are listed online here. I dont think they sell it online though. But then you can buy most maps, including Eicher, online here
Thank you all for your replies. Where can I get these maps (both IMS and Eicher) in Bangalore? Is Higginbothams on MG Road worth a try? Or, are there others as well? Thanks again.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

Are these the IMS maps - Indian Map Service, IMS, IMS world maps, IMS state maps, IMS city maps, IMS India maps? Can anyone confirm this?
Old 9th January 2009, 10:46   #38
BANNED

yes sir these are the ones. IMS maps are your best bet.
Old 9th January 2009, 11:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
kumar a quickie for you, does Eicher have a single map which covers the southern states(KA,KL and TN) ? Have checked their website and found only statewise maps.
No, Eicher does not have one, but TTK has a map for Southern India, which is passable.

I would still suggest you buy individual State or district-wise maps of each State.

Eicher State maps - not handy when driving, more meant for the coffee table, in view of the glossy art paper they use to print.
Old 9th January 2009, 11:46   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Eicher has an India road atlas which also has detailed maps of some of the major cities.

It is quite handy for planning since it gives distances between each road section. Unlike single page maps, there is an index so that you can quickly locate a place on the map.
Old 9th January 2009, 11:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Indian maps are more or less like a company's balance sheet. They are all approximations of the real picture and never reflect the true picture. The trick is to find an Infosys balance sheet (where the picture is closer to reality) and not get stuck with a Satyam balance sheet.

Anyone planning to buy Survey of India maps should read this hilarious account of one person's determination to do this apparently impossible task. It's extremely well written and a must read if you enjoy reading good English mixed with sarcasm.

Those demented lines of lassitude

Most maps in the country don't show the GQ. I suppose no one has told SOI that a new road has actually come up connecting the four cities !!! Probably that letter from NHAI director to the Survey of India director is still stuck in some dusty file.
What's more dangerous is that in certain places they show the old road with the old NH number which can be totally misleading.
For example - the old GT Road used to be NH2. The new GQ road (which is quite different from GT Road in most places) is now NH2. Eicher map still calls the GT Road NH2. This can lead to completely hilarious situations where you look for a city to your left while the city is actually to your right - like Benares.
Old 9th January 2009, 19:02   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post

I enquired at Higginbothams, MG Road, bangalore. Out of stock. I was able to find one, Vinayaka Book Distributors (080 25574420) on St. John's Road, near Dickenson Road. They had Eicher India Road Atlas for 2006 and not for 2007. Any ideas where I can get one for year 2007? It was mentioned somewhere in this thread or (another thread) that 2006 map had some errors and those were corrected in 2007 version. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 10th January 2009, 21:47   #43
BHPian

This morning, I checked out Vinayaka Book Distributors situated on St. John's Road (in front of SLV Fast foods). Bought Eicher India Road Atlas, Eicher Karnataka and Bangalore maps as well. Cost is INR 470 after 10% discount. Later, I checked out IMS and TTK maps at Gangarams, MG Road. Found TTK to be a lot better than IMS. Didn't buy any, though. Higginbothams had no collection at all except some maps by 'SURI' publishers.
Old 19th November 2009, 09:37   #44
BANNED

TIMES MOTORING ATLAS..how good is this

I saw this book at indiatimes online bookstore as well as in their newspaper edition. would like to know about it's authenticity to the current GQs and how good or bad is this one, compare to TTK/Lonely Planet/Eicher . TIA.
Old 20th November 2009, 09:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

I believe Eicher is the best of all for al over India. Recommendation is to have one of these and buy a state atlas from Vasan Publication or other good ones. Once into a state, Eicher's India roadmap is not enough for smaller villages. I bough Karnataka atlas from Vasan and other southern state maps from some other publications (there are plenty), but do not go for the small red colored books with a big state map and other information on places in that state. Vasan map looks like a A4 size book with some 30-35 pages and no big state map, rather each page show map of individual district.

Eicher India roadmap - Rs. 370/- (bought 2 years back)
Vasan publication Karnataka map - Rs. 50/- (bought 4 years back)
and similar maps for Maharashtra, Andhra, Kerala and Tamilnadu (different publications), price ranging from Rs. 50-80

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks