Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2007, 13:39   #1
BHPian

Route to Mangalore from Thane / Mumbai

Hi Guys

Am planning for a trip (with wife, kid, friend & his niece) with me driving all the way. Have read posts by sumitdongerkery who drove in his Skoda and magiceye in his TATA Indica V2 DLS.

I will be driving in a XETA 1.4 GLS, tubed tyres, magiceye informed me that he had taken the NH17 route in Aug 07 and the roads were in pathetic conditions.

Since I am planning to start early morning - drive for 7-8 hours and then stopover for night and then start again. Request you guys to please post the route - and also tell me if NH17 is any better now.

Hope to hear from you soon, thanks
Old 29th November 2007, 15:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

NH17 all the way if you love some ghat driving and would like to stop over in Goa. Else NH4 till Hubli, NH63 from there to Ankola, and Nh17 from tehreon. The second will be faster. Day 1 halt could be Hubli.

NH17 from Panvel to Goa is good, rest is almost repaired.
Old 30th November 2007, 15:12   #3
BHPian

Thane to Mangalore

Thanks hvkumar

Just wanted to check with you - is it safe to drive on tube tyres? Usually I dont speed over 100-120 (a bit cautious there) but this thought of tubeless tyre safety always bothers me.

magiceye said that the NH17 roads were bad and he too drove on tubed tyres. When did you drive through that route last ?

Is there a link where I can check out the various route options you have given me. Your help will be highly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 1st December 2007, 10:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

No problem with the tyres.
NH17 is excellent from Bombay to Goa, it was bad only south of Goa. Have not persoanlly driven after the rains, but several others have and they are happy with road conditions - it was damaged only between Panvel and Mahad, but that section is also repaired now.
I can PM you the route details from my earlier log books. My email is hvkumar@gmail.com.
Old 1st December 2007, 11:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

The stretch beyond Ankola to M'lore is more or less no existent. You will have a tough time getting past this stretch. Do plan for a slow progress thru this route.
Old 27th July 2010, 01:42   #6
BHPian

Mumbai - Mangalore route queries (latest)!

Hello TBHPians!

I will be travelling from Mumbai to Mangalore, Karnataka by road for the first time!

This is the route that I plan to take:

Mumbai (Chembur - Diamond Garden) - Vashi - Panvel - Pune (via the expressway) - NH4 (via Satara - Kolhapur - Nippani - Dharwad) - NH63 (Via Kalghatgi - Yellapur - Ankola) - NH17 (via Ankola - Kumta - Haldipur - Bhatkal - Kundapur - Udupi - Surathkal) - and finally Mangalore city!

Now for the following queries with regards to the designated route:

1. Is it safe to travel in the months of August-September (monsoon season)? Anyone has any idea about the current situation on the dreaded NH 17? (which used to be pothole ridden back in the days and, i'm assuming, still isn't pothole free!) Read from other travelogues on the gory conditions of the same highway during the monsoons!

OR is it better to travel to push forward road trip plans to the months of January - February? (when the roads should be relatively less pothole - ridden because by then the potholes would have been filled up by the NHAI - wishful thinking but nothing wrong in being optimistic about it! ) Coz I was planning to travel by train/air if the monsoon season trip plans don't work! Your suggestions on this one would be highly appreciated!

2. I have two cars - a 2002 Indica V2 DLS (which is in a good condition - but just being cautious since its a long road trip that I have to take!) and a Maruti Suzuki WagonR VXi (2009 - newer and if it were upto me, I'd choose this car since it has lesser chances of breakdown but a car of relatively low safety margin compared to the Indica!). So which one should I take for this particular trip?

3. Need some help regarding places to take breaks at on this particular route - anything in particular - from a multicuisine highway restaurant to the best 'chai and sutta tapri' on the route! I know about the foodmalls on the Mumbai-Pune expressway and the dhabas en-route to Mangalore near Padubidri (Bittu-da-dhaba - which is familiar with most Mangalore-Manipal late-night party goers!). So any suggestions buddies?

Would appreciate your kind help at the earliest friends!

Thanks!
Old 27th July 2010, 09:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Till Ankola via NH4 and Nh63, you will have no problems. Once you hit NH17, expect road conditions to deteriorate as rains progress. This year is much better than previous years, although there are already bad sections south of Bhatkal.

I would take the Wagon R, it being more reliable, faster and better FE.

You can take breaks at Hotel Mahendra (Satara), Sai resorts (before Kolhapur), McDonald's (after Kolhapur), Sankam Resideny (Belgaum bypass) and Upachar Kamat (Ankola).
Old 28th July 2010, 05:38   #8
BHPian

Thank you hvkumar for your valuable advice and suggestions!
Anyone else got any more pointers for the above specified route? Please post! Thanks!
Old 28th July 2010, 09:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would say you take the Indica if its properly maintained.The ride would be more comfortable in an Indica as compared to a Wagon R.

You can easily do this in one day i.e start early morning 3 am and reach Mangalore by sunset .

There are many decent hotels around Hubli if you planning to make it a 2 -day affair.
Old 3rd August 2010, 04:41   #10
BHPian

Thank you so much speedsatya.

I think taking the WagonR, as hvkumar suggested, would be better.
I agree with the fact that the Indica is a much more comfortable car as compared to the WagonR - but I guess the advantages of the WagonR in terms of fuel efficiency and lesser chances of breakdown outweigh the comfort factor of the Indica!

I'll consider your suggestion of making it a 2 day affair with a stopover at Hubli. If time permits i.e.! Anyhow I have pushed forward my road trip plans to January-February 2011 as road conditions on NH-17 are bad at the moment plus the incessant monsoon rains! Thank you once again!
Old 29th August 2010, 12:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Mum-goa-mangalore-bangy and back

I wouls like to drive Mumbai - Goa - Mangalore - Bangalore and back to mumbai via Goa sometime in sept or oct this year. Any suggestions on the route and the condition of the NH17.
Thanks
Old 29th August 2010, 15:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
I wouls like to drive Mumbai - Goa - Mangalore - Bangalore and back to mumbai via Goa sometime in sept or oct this year. Any suggestions on the route and the condition of the NH17.
Thanks
Currently, NH17 is in bad condition south of Goa, hopefully it will be repaired by the time you travel.
Old 29th August 2010, 15:49   #13
BHPian

@Deutscheafrikar,

For Mumbai to Goa Stretch I would suggest you travel to Kittur (of Kittur Rani Chanamma fame) on the Express way. It is approx 550 Kms from Mumbai, from Kittur you have a bypass to enter Goa through Phonda.

Or take the Belgaum Road to go to Amboli and enter Goa from the Panjim side.

Roads up to Kittur/ Belgaum are a breeze. Total Toll would be approx 400 Rs.
Old 29th August 2010, 18:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

HVK thanks for the info.

Shivshanker, Kittur Rani Chanamma is almost after Hubli from mumbai to bangalore. I believe its on the intersection of NH4, NH63 and NH218. So whats the road or highway number from there to Goa?
Old 29th August 2010, 19:03   #15
v&v
Senior - BHPian

I am also following this thread as i too will be interested to know the status of NH 17 during 1st week of October. Will be driving down to kerala.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks