Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2017, 16:40   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Thanjavur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Do take a look at this post and the one referenced in that post for alternative routes
- here (Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries)
Yes, checked on it. Considering the Kumbakonam - Vridhachalam - Attur Salem route for return journey. 50kms extra, but looks like it will be worth it given the road conditions are excellent.
Old 17th January 2017, 17:25   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Yes, checked on it. Considering the Kumbakonam - Vridhachalam - Attur Salem route for return journey. 50kms extra, but looks like it will be worth it given the road conditions are excellent.
Please check with the locals before taking this Kumbakonam-Virudhachalam road. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the entire stretch of 140 km from Kumbakonam was being relaid and I repented taking this road( Dec 2015). It consumed almost half a day to reach Virudhachalam.
autospeaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 18:00   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
Please check with the locals before taking this Kumbakonam-Virudhachalam road. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the entire stretch of 140 km from Kumbakonam was being relaid and I repented taking this road( Dec 2015). It consumed almost half a day to reach Virudhachalam.
Kumbakonam-Vridhachalam Bypass-Veppur-V.Koot Road-Attur-Salem and beyond, all the way the roads are in very good condition. Nothing to worry.

You can also refer to Bangalore-Kumbakonam thread.

-Ravi
ravib is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 18:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I will certainly check once I am there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Kumbakonam-Vridhachalam Bypass-Veppur-V.Koot Road-Attur-Salem and beyond, all the way the roads are in very good condition. Nothing to worry.

You can also refer to Bangalore-Kumbakonam thread.

-Ravi
Thank you. Yes I read that thread and like you said, the reviews are good about its present state.
Old 17th January 2017, 19:06   #50
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Kumbakonam thread has been updated with latest condition - all good
Please check that thread for details on the bypasses/route information.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 20:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking forward for a drive to Tanjore from Bangalore.

What is the best option at the moment considering the road conditions? Let me know if anyone has done it very recently. If you plot the route on google maps, that will be really helpful.
Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy to Thanjavur should be the best option. As regards the route to Trichy, you will get more details in the Bangalore-Trichy thread

Last edited by suresh_gs : 17th January 2017 at 20:35.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 21:36   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The Kumbakonam thread has been updated with latest condition - all good
Please check that thread for details on the bypasses/route information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy to Thanjavur should be the best option. As regards the route to Trichy, you will get more details in the Bangalore-Trichy thread
Thank you folks for the suggestions.
I have more or less finalized my routes. Not taking the Karur route as I am fine skipping the NH and drive through the other options given.
https://goo.gl/maps/brrzKAS7Bpw

Bangalore to Thanjavur : Route Queries-tanjore.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 17th January 2017 at 21:38.
Old 13th February 2017, 16:49   #53
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Thanjavur : Route Queries

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post

-Ravi
I did this a week back and thought I will come back and give a quick update. Went through the exact same route that I posted above, and that was a perfect drive.

No issues with any part of it. Salem - Attur - Vridhachalam in good condition, with 4 lanes and intermittent switching to 2 lanes. Vridhachalam - Jayamkondam was excellent. Only Thiruvaiyaru to Namakkal via Kallanai was slightly rough at some stretches, but nothing to be worried at all.

Just in case if anyone is interested, you may read a quick travelogue that I have written on this drive-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...hitecture.html
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 18:42   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just in case if anyone is interested, you may read a quick travelogue that I have written on this drive-
Thanks for the update. very helpful.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th February 2017 at 18:53. Reason: Quote size edited. You can also use the Thanks button instead.
Old 2nd August 2018, 11:58   #55
Senior - BHPian

Folks

My friend intends to drive to Tanjore by Car on Aug 15th from Bangalore with his family. Which of the below routes is recommended for him to drive

1. Via Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Namakkal-Musiri-Srirangam-Trichy
2. Via Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Karur-Trichy

How are the road conditions from Namakkal to Srirangam in case Option 1 is preferred.

Apart from the Big Temple, what are the other places of interest to see in Tanjore.
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:21   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks

My friend intends to drive to Tanjore by Car on Aug 15th from Bangalore with his family. Which of the below routes is recommended for him to drive

1. Via Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Namakkal-Musiri-Srirangam-Trichy
2. Via Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Karur-Trichy

How are the road conditions from Namakkal to Srirangam in case Option 1 is preferred.

Apart from the Big Temple, what are the other places of interest to see in Tanjore.
Hi Suresh,
I drove via option #1 to Tanjore in first week of July. Road conditions are good and nothing to worry about and doesn't warrant to take Karur route.

Apart from Big temple, if he is interested in other temples, he can see Tanjore Punnainallur Mariyamman temple, as this being "Aadi" month in Tamil calendar, it is considered auspicious.

-Ravi
ravib is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 09:53   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My friend intends to drive to Tanjore by Car on Aug 15th from Bangalore
The precise question was discussed here a month back. You might want to check it.

Musiri-Thottiyam is holding up so far and I'd expect it to remain that way atleast till NE monsoons this year.

BTW Musiri route forks at Number 1 Tollgate and there is no reason to cross Kollidam bridge, if the destination is Thanjavur.
Old 22nd October 2019, 16:37   #58
BHPian

Folks,

I will be driving down from Bangalore to Thanjavur next week; google map is giving me 2 options as below

1. Bangalore --> Salem --> Attur --> Perambalur --> Ariyalur --> Thanjavur (410 Km)
2. Bangalore --> Salem --> Namakkal --> Musiri --> Trichy --> Thanjavur (410 KM)

Option 1 is being suggested due to shorter driving time; however I am worried about road conditions considering recent rains.

Can anyone please share their inputs on which route to take.

Last edited by silvercloud : 22nd October 2019 at 16:55.
Old 22nd October 2019, 17:32   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercloud View Post
Folks,

I will be driving down from Bangalore to Thanjavur next week; google map is giving me 2 options as below

1. Bangalore --> Salem --> Attur --> Perambalur --> Ariyalur --> Thanjavur (410 Km)
2. Bangalore --> Salem --> Namakkal --> Musiri --> Trichy --> Thanjavur (410 KM)

Option 1 is being suggested due to shorter driving time; however I am worried about road conditions considering recent rains.

I would suggest Option 2. You have 4 lane roads from Bangalore till Namakkal. Namakkal to Musiri is a 2 lane road for approx 85-90 kms. Trichy to Tanjore is a 4 lane road again.
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:31   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercloud View Post
Folks,

As suresh mentioned, please go with option 2. You will get much better roads compared to 1st option. Except for 90 kms from Namakkal to Trichy, rest is all 4L toll roads.
Also, the roads in Ariyalur district are generally not good and very slow to drive due to lots of villages to cross through.

-Ravi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks