Team-BHP - Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/33195-mumbai-goa-route-queries-20.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sri1951 (Post 3563749)
Hi!

Thanks for the information. I live in Andheri East close to SEEPZ. I will be driving a Toyota Corrola Altis (petrol). My wife and I are going and both have no problems with the ghats twists and turns.

As to why I am doing this route... I have never gone by this route. I have all the time on hand to drive slowly steadily and hence the overnight halt at Chiplun.

Return I am doing the Nipani, Kholapur route on Saturday.

Thanks for the inputs
----

NH17 (or now called NH66) is very scenic route. Traffic is very high till Vadkhal (16 kms after Pen) but not so much thereafter. Still you can not travel very fast as it is winding road with many blind corners. In fact, you can reach quicker via Pune provided you do not have to spend long time on toll booths.

It is two lane till Kudal but soon after Kudal from Zarap a good 4 lane new road till Goa border. This section bypasses Sawantwadi and saves at least 30 minutes.

If you start from Riverview Chiplun early in the morning (around 6.30) you can reach Kudal by 9~9.30 where you have good options to stop (including small Vitthal Kamat) and have breakfast. If you start little late (say 7.30~8 after breakfast) you can straight drive into Goa for lunch and soon as you cross the border, less than 1 km on your left is place called Kokan Kinara (or similar name) that will serve you very fresh fish.

If you are defensive driver, this road is very enjoyable. Road condition as on date is very good.

take care and enjoy.:)

Hi,

Just came back from a 5 day relaxing beach trip to Goa.
Did Pune-Kolhapur-Dharwad-Kalghatgi-Yellapur-Gokarna-Karwar-Palolem-Benaulim Beach- Majorda beach-Ashvem-Arambol-Mandrem-Panjim-Chorla-Belgaum-Pune.
Did a lot of beach hopping and discovered some beautiful hidden gems.

About the Route:
Pune-Gokarna was the usual AH47 till Dharwad from where we took a right and drove through the scenic forest roads till we reached Gokarna, encountered some small stretches of bad roads but nothing that would shake a Safari.

Gokarna - Palolem is the NH17 which is Ok.

Palolem - Ashvem with many beaches in between was good. We got stuck in a traffic jam at Candolim for an hour but after that it was smooth sailing.

Panjim-Chorla-Belgaum-Pune -- I took the NH4A from Panjim, and this is where the fun started. Both phones died and I missed the left for Chorla and headed straight towards Ponda. By the time the travel charger brought the phone back to life we had covered over 3-4 kms towards Ponda, Took a U turn and came back and took the right exit.
Then the GPS took me through narrow streets and finally I saw a board that said Chorla Left. I took it and then again missed the right turn just after it. I guess this was at Sanquelim. Finally after 45 mins of confusion we found the right road at 8 PM.

8PM in the Chorla Ghats looked like midnight. stupid:
The saving grace is that the road is good so one doesn't need to slow down that much. Saw at least 3 vehicles with Punctures. Was also stopped at the Karnataka Excise Check post who let us go after looking inside the car, did not have to open any bags though thankfully.
Reached Belgaum at 10:30. Took a Tea stop at Hotel Goa Ways at 11:30 and finally reached home in Pune at 3:30 AM.

The road from Belgaum to Kolhapur is a breeze, however the deepest potholes start around 5 Kms before the Last Toll Plaza that comes before Katraj Tunnel.
They are at least a foot deep and are right in the middle of the road, so one needs to be really careful.:deadhorse
The diversions are still there but the road has been freshly laid so the pain is gone.

Travel times- Pune - Gokarna Left at 4:30 AM and reached Hotel Goa Ways at 9:15 AM, slept for an hour in the car as was feeling sleepy and then reached Gokarna at 3:30 PM did not like the place so after visiting OM Beach for 30 minutes reached Palolem at around 8 PM.

Palolem-Ashvem- Left at 11 AM visited 2 beaches in between and reached Ashvem at 7 PM.

Panjim- Pune- Left Panjim at 7 PM and reached Pune at 3:30 AM after wasting almost an hour finding the route to Chorla. 1 Tea stop of 15 mins taken.

I am hoping to put up a travelogue soon.

What a lovely drive from Mumbai to Chiplun! I left at 6 am from Andheri East and reached Chiplun by 12. Road has been very good. Traffic was heavy till Pen and then eased. Few spots after Panvel was crazy truck and bus traffic with potholes or craters if I may call them. But thereafter the roads were so good I was driving between 80 and 100 KM. Scenic beauty is superb.

Currently at Quality Inn RiverView resort. Excellent place to stay and What a view of the western Ghats and the river!!

===

Quote:

Originally Posted by CANPUSH (Post 3565322)
NH17 (or now called NH66) is very scenic route. Traffic is very high till Vadkhal (16 kms after Pen) but not so much thereafter. Still you can not travel very fast as it is winding road with many blind corners. In fact, you can reach quicker via Pune provided you do not have to spend long time on toll booths.

It is two lane till Kudal but soon after Kudal from Zarap a good 4 lane new road till Goa border. This section bypasses Sawantwadi and saves at least 30 minutes.

If you start from Riverview Chiplun early in the morning (around 6.30) you can reach Kudal by 9~9.30 where you have good options to stop (including small Vitthal Kamat) and have breakfast. If you start little late (say 7.30~8 after breakfast) you can straight drive into Goa for lunch and soon as you cross the border, less than 1 km on your left is place called Kokan Kinara (or similar name) that will serve you very fresh fish.

If you are defensive driver, this road is very enjoyable. Road condition as on date is very good.

take care and enjoy.:)

Goa to Mumbai via Chiplun and Khed turned out to be surprisingly good. True it is a 2 lane, but sparse traffic plus the great scenery after the monsoon made it a really pleasurable drive. About 10 km on either side of Chiplun was bad road. Best of all is the absence of toll till near Pen. Left Dona Paula at 0415 and reached Mumbai at 1400 and Ahmedabad at 2200 hours.

Used the Pune route on the onward journey. Pune to Satara was not very good road, and Nipani to Sawantawadi was bad road. Made the mistake of turning into a village road before Sawantawadi, which turned out to be very bad road. There is a sign indicating Panjim, which I missed first, and turned back to take this road.

Hi Sri,

Thanks for the update on the road condition on NH17.
I left Andheri at 0500 this morning and was in Goa at 1400 hrs.
Usual rough roads between Poona and Satara but smooth sailing after that.
Do update on the road from Chiplun to Goa once you reach tomorrow.

Regards,
SS

Guys please avoid Amboli ghat. there are no roads left there. Plus the village roads are mostly dug up. Had been to Goa last week and most of my time was wasted after we took the village road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SajiNSalin (Post 3566642)
Made the mistake of turning into a village road before Sawantawadi, which turned out to be very bad road. There is a sign indicating Panjim, which I missed first, and turned back to take this road.

So 5 years on, it still isn't any better.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1411127

I am planning to go to Tarkarli next week. I am planning to stay at Kolhapur on the way to Tarkarli. Does anyone know good hotels at Kolhapur?

As suggested, took the below route. Road was good. Travel time was around 10hrs including a 30 mins stop. Traffic was quite high between Pune-Satara ( took 3hrs ) and Belgaum to South Goa ( took ~3hrs ). Most enjoyable was crossing Sawaantwadi/Tawandi ghat in terms of driving, roads and views. Lowest tolls while travelling in Karnataka ( ~Rs15 ) and best roads while toll was highest in Maharashtra. Goa has an entry tax of Rs.250.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzuki san (Post 3563639)
See my post below.
Poona, Satara, Kolhapur, Belgaum, Peeranwadi, Chorla, Sanquelim, Bicholim, Assonora, Tivim, Mapuca (North Goa). Should take you 7.5 hours max to Goa.

Sai International is about 34 Kms before Kolhapur. Good food and quite clean.
McD's and KFC at Kolhapur.
Hotel White House on the right hand side of the road (you will have to cross over) just before you start climbing the Tawande Ghat.
Hotel Goa Ways at the top of Tawande Ghat.
McD's, KFC, Subway as you enter Belgaum on your right - next to the Medical College. Several other restaurants/hotels inside Belgaum.

I am also leaving Bombay (Andheri - W) on the 28th. at 05.00 hrs. but will be using my usual route - via Poona, Kolhapur & the Chorla Ghat.
Where exactly in Andheri do you live? What car will you be driving?
The last I heard is that some sections of the NH17 - the route you intend to take are not good. I am not sure why you have decided on that route. It is hilly and twists and turns for almost 250Kms after Poladpur. I hope your fellow travellers do not get car sick.
From Chiplun to Goa you should not need a break but if you do then you have the small towns of Rajapur and Kankavali. Otherwise, halt at Sawantwadi.
If I was you and if you are capable of driving for 5 to 6 hours at a stretch then I would seriously consider cancelling your booking at RiverView and using NH4 instead. Overnight at Sai International just before Kolhapur (on the highway) or enter Kolhapur and overnight at one of the hotels there.
Please note that NH17 is a single lane highway most of the way (some parts have been made two lane now) and is a dangerous road (traffic wise) to travel on. I don't mean to put you off but facts are facts. Also, lots of speedbreakers before and after every little village which also slows you down.

Regards,
SS

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adi_k (Post 3575525)
I am planning to go to Tarkarli next week. I am planning to stay at Kolhapur on the way to Tarkarli. Does anyone know good hotels at Kolhapur?

Hi Adi,

I have stayed at Raysons Regency in Kolhapur City a few months ago. Good hotel albeit a little expensive for Kolhapur. Breakfast included. Nice rooms. Free Wifi. Small gym. Good food at the restaurant. No complaints.
You can bargain on the room rates.
The Sai International is directly on the highway. Have not actually stayed there. Only stopped for meals. However, have checked out the rooms and they look OK. Not Raysons standard but you get what you pay for.

Regards,
SS

Leaving for South Goa at 4am on the 11th, from Andheri. Have to decide between my Fabia or fathers Yeti ( will have to be more careful where I park etc with dad's car ) that's why the dilemma.
Will be taking the NH4 then Chorla as suggested by many.
Is 12 hrs a good estimate with sane driving and a few short breaks?
Will google maps be available on the phone enough to get me through the Chorla route?

Side question - how does one know if a particular toll booth is legit?
Many times, at some smaller places, there is no barrier and some random men collecting- if you stop, if u don't stop they don't really bother!?

I am planning a Mumbai-Goa road trip in early December with family which includes a 3 year old.
Any ideas how the Belgaum - Anmod -Ponda route is? Long time back, I had heard that the roads on that route got washed out. Would it be a good and safe route now?

Chaand,
As you can see from several posts below, the most used route is now Belgaum, Chorla, Mapuca.
I do not have any idea about the Anmod road but if this is the same as the Khanapur road then avoid it like the plague. It is in very bad shape.
From Mapuca you can proceed to Panjim and then to Ponda if that is your final destination. A bit longer but good roads throughout.
Your call.

Regards,
SS

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandyboy101 (Post 3576626)
Side question - how does one know if a particular toll booth is legit?
Many times, at some smaller places, there is no barrier and some random men collecting- if you stop, if u don't stop they don't really bother!?

On the legit booths you get a legit receipt. Haven't seen this happening anywhere so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzuki san (Post 3579055)

As you can see from several posts below, the most used route is now Belgaum, Chorla, Mapuca.

Regards,
SS

Thanks SS.

Would you/anyone else let me know the exact entry point i.e turnoff from NH4 towards Chorla? Most of the sections on NH4 are not very clearly marked and hence the query. A google map would also do fine.

I plan to leave Mumbai by 5 AM and be in Belgaum by 12 PM. After that how long would it take to reach Goa. As I understand roads are good/decent.