Team-BHP - Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/33195-mumbai-goa-route-queries-21.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by @Chaand (Post 3579364)
Thanks SS.

Would you/anyone else let me know the exact entry point i.e turnoff from NH4 towards Chorla? Most of the sections on NH4 are not very clearly marked and hence the query. A google map would also do fine.

I plan to leave Mumbai by 5 AM and be in Belgaum by 12 PM. After that how long would it take to reach Goa. As I understand roads are good/decent.

Yes. Getting off NH 4 towards Chorla is bit tricky. I did not find any signboards around, also when I did this (Bangalore - Goa) on Nov 1 interior roads in Belgaum was closed for procession.

During return I ended up in narrow bye-lanes of Belgaum market causing a delay or around 20 mins.

Since my drive was from Bangalore side, it was bit easier for me (left turn). While driving from MH side I guess this will be the best route

In case of any confusion check for route towards 'Jamboti', since this is nearer to Belgaum than Chorla many people were able to guide us properly.

Road conditions are good till Goa, it took us around 3.5 hours for Belgaum - Candolim. We took a faster and easier route on return, you can check about that at my post in Bangalore-Goa thread.

There is no such signage for Chorla from NH4 as it doesn't make any sense since Chorla is just a small village and part of Chorla Ghats.

It would make sense to ask where is the Turn off for Belgaum.

Ideally one has to enter Belgaum city, traverse through the main roads till Jamboti-Chorla Fork on the Khanapur Road and at the fork take the right one (Left goes to Khanapur).

For those driving from Bangalore, one can reach a place called Jamboti which is further ahead on the road between Belgaum and Chorla, thus avoiding entering Belgaum altogether.

For this, you get off NH4 at the Alnavar exit on the Hubli-Dharwad Bypass, drive till Khanapur and then head towards Jamboti. From here, its the same Belgaum-Chorla route.

The only bad section that I witnessed (March 2014) was 12-15 kms between Jamboti and Khanapur. Else everything else was excellent and the Alnavar-Ramnagar-Dharwad Bypass too is a very good tolled road with ROB work still in progress but easily manageable.

If one wants to save time, energy and preserve a lot of patience in traversing Belgaum, this one is good.

After crossing the Belgaum the place where the road divides (one towards Khanapur and the other towards Jambooti) there is a traingular cemented space and within that is a signboard that shows Goa to the left through NH4A and Chorla to the right. It is very easy to miss the board, so one needs to be careful.

In case of confusion you need to ask for Jamboti, I asked for Goa and was shown the NH4A to Mollem.

I am leaving Friday 28th Nov night around 12 am from Andheri West. I have done Mumbai Goa 3-4 times in the past but don't really remember the time taken fro NH 17. Can anyone compare time wise these 2 roads ? NH17 and NH4a via Chorla ? Will help me to take a decision.

Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sommos (Post 3579459)
In case of confusion you need to ask for Jamboti, I asked for Goa and was shown the NH4A to Mollem.

For all we know, the best POI to ask for Chorla when in Belgaum is always VTU (Vishweshwaraiah Technological University). This works all the times. This comes after the Khanapur-Chorla Fork (Triangle you referring) and one straight road from here to Chorla/Sanquelem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 3579463)
For all we know, the best POI to ask for Chorla when in Belgaum is always VTU (Vishweshwaraiah Technological University). This works all the times. This comes after the Khanapur-Chorla Fork (Triangle you referring) and one straight road from here to Chorla/Sanquelem.

Thanks, sadly no one told this to me before my journey (Oct 14), I asked for the direction to Goa at Belgaum and the people showed me NH4A. Hope next time I'll not miss the Chorla ghat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaurusAl (Post 3579461)
I am leaving Friday 28th Nov night around 12 am from Andheri West. I have done Mumbai Goa 3-4 times in the past but don't really remember the time taken fro NH 17. Can anyone compare time wise these 2 roads ? NH17 and NH4a via Chorla ? Will help me to take a decision.

Thank you

First NH4A does not take you through Chorla. NH4A takes you through Khanapur-Londa-Mollem-Ponda-Panjim. I took this route in Oct 2014 and it took me 4 hours from Belgaum to Panjim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sommos (Post 3579484)

First NH4A does not take you through Chorla. NH4A takes you through Khanapur-Londa-Mollem-Ponda-Panjim. I took this route in Oct 2014 and it took me 4 hours from Belgaum to Panjim.

Repeating my question. What is the time difference when you travel from Mumbai - Khed - Chiplun - Sawantwadi - Mapusa as compared to Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Chorla - Mapusa

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaurusAl (Post 3579522)
Repeating my question. What is the time difference when you travel from Mumbai - Khed - Chiplun - Sawantwadi - Mapusa as compared to Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Chorla - Mapusa

This would depend on your start timings really. Ideally the Belgaum option always ends up as a faster one since you get a multi lane highway all the way till Belgaum that should take not more than 7-8 hours from Mumbai. Add another 3 hours (max) from here and you will be in Goa.

The NH17 option will be slower and can become a lot more slower owing to day time traffic (and miscellaneous motorists too). Not only in terms of traffic but the road is a typical single carriageway and it will be tiring at times to manage a single overtaking maneuver if you get stuck behind a beeline of vehicles. The roads soon after getting onto NH17 will remain curvy all through out.

The last we drove was in 2012 when we were at Panvel at 1630 hours and managed to Enter Goa Border at 0530 hours next morning. We did encounter huge jams at Vadkal Naka but after this traffic was very thin as it was night and mostly we encountered private buses and quite a few trucks but nothing else. Hence passing petty towns was easier.

If you want time and efforts to be saved, stick to the Belgaum option. If you are looking for some good scenic route all throughout, then NH17 is your bet.

Bottom line - The Belgaum option should take 12-13 hours at Max while the NH17 might take 14-16 hours. Of course, you will save quite a handsome amount on toll if you took NH17 though!

Hi Taurus,
Please check out the thread "Mumbai Pune Kolhapur Goa Road". I have given detailed driving directions on that thread about a year or so ago. Not sure how you will find the exact post but check out the thread anyway as it's more upto date than this one with a lot more information.
Regards.
SS

Thanks San, as mentioned have done many trips in the past, just dont remember the time taken. Only remember have not spend more than 13 hours 1 way. So just wanted to check everyone else's experience here while
comparing 2 roads.

For me it goes like this -

Positives of Old Highway -
1) Negligible toll amount.
2) Scenic.
3) Good eating joints near Chiplun which is half of the journey.
4) The new highway from Zarap helps in bypassing Sawantwadi which reduces travel time at least by 1/2 hour.
5) Super smooth road except for very few bad stretches.

Negatives -
1) Winding road can lead to car sickness.
2) Too many speed bumps before and after villages.
3) Headlights of oncoming vehicles at night.
4) Dangerous over-taking by large vehicles.
5) Too many speed breakers.

Positives of Mumbai Pune Kolhapur Goa -

Positives -
1) Straight open roads, easy to drive even for a novice.

Negatives of Mumbai Pune Kolhapur Goa
1) Huge toll amount.
2) Not Scenic.
3) Not many good stop over options.
4) The winding road of Panchgani area, Chorla or Amboli can still make occupants car sick
5) Bad roads in some places even after paying huge amounts in toll.

To each his own, but considering there is only 1 positive aspect for me and negatives match evenly in numbers, I wanted to know if there is really any time saving going via Pune Kolhapur.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaurusAl (Post 3580205)
To each his own, but considering there is only 1 positive aspect for me and negatives match evenly in numbers, I wanted to know if there is really any time saving going via Pune Kolhapur.

I have recently visited Goa via Pune and after reading your post I have the following observations :
a. From Pune to Goa I have paid toll of Rs. 325.00 and the road is absolutely fantastic. I do not know what you meant by "Bad roads in some places even after paying huge amounts in toll".

b. I personally would always prefer the four lane NH rather than the single lane road for safety and ease of travelling.

c. On the NH4 you'll have Mcdonald's, CCD and KFC at Kohlapur.

Following will be the Toll Amount -

Mumbai Pune Expressway 195
Khedshivpur 80
Anewadi 55
Taswade 70
Kini 70
Kognoli 35
Hattaragi 15
Goa Entry Fees 250
====================
Total 770
====================

This if you take the Belgaum-Chorla option. In case you take the Amboli route then reduce 15 bucks from the above.

Note: All tolls from my drive on 1st November weekend.

Like Sommos mentions the "bad" roads are not really bad except chipped surfaces between Pune and Satara. In fact, after Satara you get a concrete stretch all the way till Kolhapur Bypass (Same is not the case for Kolhapur-Pune though).

I agree that the toll amount and the prolonged delay of widening has made things bad but I will still prefer a multilane highway over single carriageway in the interest of safety of family.

EDIT:
McDs and CCD attached to Khedshivpur BPCL COCO
Around 90 kms ahead from here is a new Vittal Kamat
Further ahead is Sai International (30 kms after Karad)

All these are on the left hand side when driving south.

Hi TaurusA1,

I think Parag Sachania has answered most of your queries.
I just drove down on the Mumbai Kolhapur Belgaum Chorla Mapuca route and it took me just over 9 hours. 5.5 hours to Kolhapur and 3.5 hours to Goa.
I left at 4a.m. from Andheri. Try doing that. You will avoid a lot of the motorcycle traffic on the Poona bypass.
Parag's toll fees are exactly right. I drive a GA registered car so do not have to pay the Goa entry tax.
After Hittargi toll I think the distance is about 15 Kms but not 100% sure.
When you see a lot of windmills on the hill on your left you know you are getting close.
Look for a green sign board saying "Belgavi City".
Slide off the highway here onto the "service road" and then turn right to pass under the highway.
Immediately after the underpass turn left and the road will take you straight into Belgaum.
You will pass a large Medical College on your right. Just after that is a KFC, Subway and Pizza Hut and/or Mcd's.
Just keep straight on till you reach the first major junction.
Here you stay in the right lane and at the circle (with a horse in the middle) turn right and immediately left. Be careful here
Continue straight on till the next light where you also have to take a right.
Basically it's a straight road after that. Look out for the signs to Panjim/Goa/Khanapur.
However, please go slow and ask for directions to Jamboti or the college (VTU University).
You have to take a right at the "V" junction as mentioned below. There is a small sign saying Chorla.
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TAKE THE KHANAPUR ROAD.
If you happen to miss the turning it would be better to turn around and go back rather than use the Khanapur road.

I would definitely prefer to use the NH4 compared to NH17 for reasons already stated below. The NH17 has been labelled as a "killer highway" (recently by a Transport Minister) and with good reason. Avoid it if you can but it's your call.

Regards,
SS

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzuki san (Post 3580935)
Hi TaurusA1,

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TAKE THE KHANAPUR ROAD.
If you happen to miss the turning it would be better to turn around and go back rather than use the Khanapur road.

Regards,
SS

Any particular reason ? Also, I am planning to use GPS. Any idea if the Google Maps takes you via Khanapur that you have cautioned ? I am not able to locate it in Maps.

Thanks for the great info, Ill skip NH17

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaurusAl (Post 3582185)
Any particular reason ? Also, I am planning to use GPS. Any idea if the Google Maps takes you via Khanapur that you have cautioned ? I am not able to locate it in Maps.

Thanks for the great info, Ill skip NH17

Hi Taurus,

The reason is that the Khanapur road is in terrible condition and Yes! Google maps will take you on that road.
I had specifically advised one of the TBHP members about a month or two ago but he missed the turning and used the Khanapur road instead.
His words were something like : "It is not a road at all. Just huge craters. Wish I had paid more attention to your directions". Needless to say he used the Chorla route to return home.

Regards,
SS