Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2009, 09:46   #16
Team-BHP Support

I can say for the Hassan route as I have been through this route. Its really good and you can see Belur/Helibede on the way as well.

In another post I saw a Tata coffee estate. Looks very good. I have not been there personally though.
Old 24th September 2009, 10:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Guys, planning trip to Chikmangalur during the 2nd Oct weekend. Which route is better currently, via Hassan or Tumkur?
Also any pointer towards good staying options would be greatly helpful!
Best route - BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-CKM,
Regarding staying option please check my previous posts, also you can try some homestays. Better if you book ASAP as it's a holiday season, chances of getting a room will be difficult at the later stage.
Old 24th September 2009, 10:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Folks,

Opening this thread once again. When last I visited Chikmagalur (2006), I remember there was a diversion to Belur, some 20km before Hassan.

Can some one point me to that? I specifically remember that I did not touch Hassan at all and the road was also very good.
The only ways you could have avoided Hassan are:

1. Took the Hassan bypass and joined Belur road at Tanneeru Halla. You will avoid Hassan city by taking the bypass. Good roads except for the bypass.
2. Took the Hassan ring road and joined Salgame road-Halebid road and reached Belur via Halebid (also passing ISRO-MCF). Decent roads
3. Took a deviation from NH48 in Shantigrama village (15 kms before Hassan) and travelled via Dudda-Bageshpura-Nittur-Salgame-Halebid & on to Belur. This is a very narrow single lane road.
4. Never travelled on NH48 & took NH206 till Arsikere-Banavara & turned towards Javagal-Halebid-Belur.

These are the only probable routes to avoid Hassan altogether en-route Belur. Which one did you take?

EDIT: The best route to Chikmagalur is the same as Sushrutha suggested. Nothing to beat that route. Good roads all over.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 24th September 2009 at 10:48.
Old 9th December 2009, 06:29   #19
BHPian

How is Chikmagalur for a 2 day getaway in December with 2 kids (1 and 5) - is it too cold and best avoided or quite enjoyable??? Appreciate any inputs.
Old 9th December 2009, 08:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogambo View Post
How is Chikmagalur for a 2 day getaway in December with 2 kids (1 and 5) - is it too cold and best avoided or quite enjoyable??? Appreciate any inputs.
Go for it, will be fun and since it aint raining I think the kids should have loadsa fun. I did this trip last year during december, you can check my travelogue (Travelogue : Chikmagalur and Kemmungundi was my destination this time ...). I don't think its that cold and we bangaloreans can take it as a welcome change owing to the soaring temperature's here in town.
Old 9th December 2009, 10:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogambo View Post
This is the best season to visit Chikmagalur. Cold is not extreme, but managable, definetely colder than Bangalore.
Don't forget to take sweaters+caps ;-)
Old 10th February 2010, 12:16   #22
BHPian

Folks ..

We are planning to drive to CKM this weekend and stay at GreenDale homestay for a night..Thanks to Lohit and Samurai for the pointers on the homestay. I spoke to Aravind (Greendale)today and he has blocked a room for us. I think I am lucky to get this last minute reservation.

Please pool in your suggestions on my plan and let me know if it looks fine.

1) Route : Kindly provide the latest road conditions on these chosen routes ?

I am planning to leave home by 4 am so that I can spend more time at CKM or visit places on the way. I am expecting a total drive time of 8 hours including stop overs. Is this right ?

PS : Apologies for the spelling of place names as I am not well versed with KA.

Onwards
Bangalore--> Nelemanagala--> Hasan--> Belur--> CKM

Return thru kemenugundi , CKM to Kemenagundi=56 kms

CKM-KemmanuGundi --> Birur-->Kadur-->Tumkur--> Nelemanagala ->Bangalore

2) Places to visit : I know this is a huge and impractical list for a one night stay at CKM. Altogether I will have a day to visit these places. So your suggestions are very much needed here :

• Drive around the mountain at CKM
• visit the hill shrines of Sitalaiana giri,
• Mullayana giri,
• Rathnagiri - park
• Dattatreya peeta - temple
• Kalhatty falls or any other nearby falls
• Bhadra tiger reserve

3) Hotels on the way : Someone here mentioned about a Kamat after CR Patna ? Any others, on both Hassan and Tiptur/Tumkur route ?

4) Does it rain at this time around in CKM ?

Appreciate your inputs.

Last edited by s3va : 10th February 2010 at 12:32.
Old 10th February 2010, 13:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
1) Route : Kindly provide the latest road conditions on these chosen routes ?
I am planning to leave home by 4 am so that I can spend more time at CKM or visit places on the way. I am expecting a total drive time of 8 hours including stop overs. Is this right ?

Bangalore--> Nelemanagala--> Hasan--> Belur--> CKM

CKM-KemmanuGundi --> Birur-->Kadur-->Tumkur--> Nelemanagala ->Bangalore
Currently the best route to CKM would be

Blore - Magadi - Kunigal - Chenrayapatna - Hassan - Belur - Chickmaglur.

Road work is in progress in Nelmangala - Kunigal stretch. The current condition is not that good hence you can take the above route.

Kadur road condition not aware.

Some distance are there in my site.

Quote:
2) Places to visit : I know this is a huge and impractical list for a one night stay at CKM. Altogether I will have a day to visit these places. So your suggestions are very much needed here :
You can visit Belur and Halibedu on the way to CKM which are worth visiting. After seeing this you can reach CKM by evening.

On you way back you can explore Kemmanagundi on one side.

Else Kudremukha, Horanadu, Kalasa, etc on the other side. You can choose one of the option.

Quote:
3) Hotels on the way : Someone here mentioned about a Kamat after CR Patna ? Any others, on both Hassan and Tiptur/Tumkur route ?
Kamath Hotel is in Udayapura near Chenrayapatna, its on the right side when you go towards CKM. 3/3.5 hrs drive from Blore. You can reach for breakfast.

While coming from Tumkur before Nelmangala(5/10 Kms) on NH4 you have few good hotels including Kamath and a few others, name i dont remember now. I think one was Swathi Hotel but not sure. VRL and Sharma buses stop here for dinner.

Quote:
4) Does it rain at this time around in CKM ?
No rains at all. Climate would be pretty cold at nights, hence warm cloths would be required.
Old 10th February 2010, 13:37   #24
Team-BHP Support

Kamat is available on both sides of NH48. You will find both of them between Dobbaspet and Tumkur. In fact you going towards Bangalore, you will Kamat around 2-3KM before Dobbaspet. There is also a coffee day.

Why is Dobasppet important? Thats because you can will find diversions to Devenhalli via Dodballapur (NH207 starts from here). Then there are diversions
to picnic places like Shivaganga, Devrayanadurga and Chennarayandurga.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:27   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Kamat is available on both sides of NH48. You will find both of them between Dobbaspet and Tumkur. In fact you going towards Bangalore, you will Kamat around 2-3KM before Dobbaspet. There is also a coffee day.

Why is Dobasppet important? Thats because you can will find diversions to Devenhalli via Dodballapur (NH207 starts from here). Then there are diversions
to picnic places like Shivaganga, Devrayanadurga and Chennarayandurga.
Dobspet & Tumkur on NH 48?? They fall on NH4 and the Kamat being talked about here is only one at Udayapura (after CR Patna) on NH48 as mentioned in the earlier posts.

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th February 2010 at 15:29.
Old 10th February 2010, 16:56   #26
BHPian

yeshwant. Thanks much to your response

So are you saying Blore - Magadi - Kunigal is better than Nelamangala ? How are the roads through the Blore - Magadi - Kunigal route ? Never been before

@ampere, I think you have suggested hotels on the devanahalli side while I am looking for suggestions on Tumkur/Hassan side, as pointed by @parag
Old 10th February 2010, 17:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
So are you saying Blore - Magadi - Kunigal is better than Nelamangala ? How are the roads through the Blore - Magadi - Kunigal route ? Never been before
The Blore - Magadi - Kunigal road is much better than Nelmangala road. My bus while coming from Mlore last month came in this route. The road seemed to be fine.

After Nelmangala a lot of road work is happening. The roads are not even and in several places there are diversions and roads go up and down. Around 10/15 Kms were bad when I went through this road last month.
Old 10th February 2010, 17:44   #28
BHPian

Yeshwant. From Old Airport Road, how do i get onto the Magadi road ?
Old 10th February 2010, 17:56   #29
BHPian

@Siva,

The route from CKM to Kadur is not a good stretch. I think rest all is manageable.

to reach Magadi road, you can actually reach using Nice ring road if it is possible to catch up to nice road anywhere near to your house. this would save at least 2 hrs for you during day time
Old 10th February 2010, 19:47   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Dobspet & Tumkur on NH 48?? They fall on NH4 and the Kamat being talked about here is only one at Udayapura (after CR Patna) on NH48 as mentioned in the earlier posts.
These places are between Tumkur and Neelamangala as you say. Since the return was through Tumkur, these places should be ideal for the return journey.

@S3VA,

Best route to get on to Magadi road is through NICE road.

Old Airport Road -> Inner RR -> Silk Board -> ORR -> Jayedeva Flyover Bannerghatta Road -> NICE Road -> Magadi Riad

Last edited by ampere : 10th February 2010 at 19:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks