Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 23:50   #76
BHPian

guys, i reached chikmagalur today via hassan, belur. Now does it make to take Tumkur route while coming back? Howz the road condition compared to hassan stretch?
Old 20th August 2010, 23:58   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
guys, i reached chikmagalur today via hassan, belur. Now does it make to take Tumkur route while coming back? Howz the road condition compared to hassan stretch?
Stick to NH48 via Hassan & Kunigal and if residing in north Bangalore areas, continue to Nelemangala. The road is driveable.
Old 21st August 2010, 02:48   #78
Senior - BHPian

2 years, 6 pages and no photos, come on asethi! I do hope that you did click while in transit and now that you are there you will be clicking lots more. Do post them sooner than later and ensure that the numbers make up for all the dry pages and time gone by.

Quote:

Last edited by khoj : 21st August 2010 at 02:50.
Old 21st August 2010, 06:32   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
2 years, 6 pages and no photos, come on asethi! I do hope that you did click while in transit and now that you are there you will be clicking lots more. Do post them sooner than later and ensure that the numbers make up for all the dry pages and time gone by.
@Khoj is back to what he does best!!!!
By the way did you recently change your signature?
Old 21st August 2010, 09:35   #80
Senior - BHPian

You can take the Hassan Belur route, roads are good. If your destination is Chikmagalur, the Tumkur route will be too long. There are a lot of stay options at Chikmagalur as Sushrutha has mentioned above, I can recommend the Taj Retreat - Taj Hotels - Taj Garden Retreat, Chikmagalur Oops, replied to quite an old post, please ignore !

Last edited by kannan666 : 21st August 2010 at 09:37.
Old 21st August 2010, 16:24   #81
Senior - BHPian

I try not to dissapoint

Must say your peripheral memory is excellent, yes the signature was updated a few months ago.

I am especially keen to show the snaps from asethi's visit to my parents as they were planning to visit Chikmagalur but their plan seems to be fizzling out. I am hoping that this travelogue may help revive the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Khoj is back to what he does best!!!!
By the way did you recently change your signature?

Last edited by khoj : 21st August 2010 at 16:25.
Old 21st August 2010, 17:21   #82
BHPian

Yeah I'm staying at the Taj, the weather is damn sexy here! It's true that I've been planning to come here for last 2yrs, but the plan is always shelved in favour of some other destination! But this time I had my way .
Will definitely post pics when I'm back. Currently my airtel gprs is struggling to open this site already ;-).
Old 21st August 2010, 17:42   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah I'm staying at the Taj, the weather is damn sexy here! It's true that I've been planning to come here for last 2yrs, but the plan is always shelved in favour of some other destination! But this time I had my way .
Will definitely post pics when I'm back. Currently my airtel gprs is struggling to open this site already ;-).
Man you reminded of the place! I was there 3 years back!
Amazing place in an amazing weather!

@Khoj, By any chance you an Iron Maiden fan?
Old 23rd August 2010, 00:05   #84
BHPian

Guys, I'm back and the travelogue started at:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2038166
Old 6th September 2010, 13:42   #85
Senior - BHPian

Update

This is an update on Chikmagalur-Bababudangiri/Kemmangundi road. The road has been relaid upto Kavikalgandi. After that, it is pathetic. The monsoon has washed away most of the roads and they are in pathetic condition.

The recent landslide has been partly cleared and all vehicles except buses and trucks can pass through it. There are still fears of more landslides in the same place. The landslide has also covered the Attigundi-Muthodi road which is just below the Chikamagalur-Bababudangiri/Kemmangundi road.

I will post pics of this shortly.
Old 7th September 2010, 16:43   #86
Senior - BHPian

Landslide pictures

These are the pictures of the landslide on the Chikmagalur-Kemmangundi road. It has been partly cleared now and heavy vehicle movement has been stopped. There are also fears of recurring landslides at the same spot

The road is on the upper part of the picture and is covered by the mist.
Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-dsc08288.jpg

Water was still seeping in from the affected spot raising fears of more landslides
Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-dsc08298.jpg

Partly cleared road. Heavy vehicles cannot pass through
Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-dsc08302.jpg

The landslide also blocked another road just below the Chikmagalur-Kemmangundi road. This is the Attigundi-Muthodi road. This was not yet cleared
Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-dsc08304.jpg

It looks as if the earth was neatly taken off. Any idea what kind of rocks are these?
Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-dsc08305.jpg
Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-dsc08307.jpg
Old 7th September 2010, 18:05   #87
Team-BHP Support

Will check it out over the next weekend. If not possible may chill out in the hotel itself just to refresh the nerves! Thanks for that update Addy.
Old 8th September 2010, 00:22   #88
Senior - BHPian

The rock face and the layering makes it appear to be Granite. It appears the falling rocks from above just opened up a crack in the vein that would also have been under pressure from accumulated water but then I am no expert.
Old 8th September 2010, 07:07   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The rock face and the layering makes it appear to be Granite. It appears the falling rocks from above just opened up a crack in the vein that would also have been under pressure from accumulated water but then I am no expert.
To me it looks like sedimentary rock formation and hence it is not deep-rooted. That may explain the landslides also.

Having said that, even I am not an expert. This is my faint remembrance of NCERT geography texts .
Old 8th September 2010, 12:55   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Khoj & ampere. I thought it could be some kind of metal ore, given its proximity to Kemmangundi, where they used to extract Iron ore. The whole hill side is made up of this type of stones. Mullayyanagiri, Bababudangiri and Kemmangundi all come in the same hill range and hence could be made up of similar type of soil. I'm no expert either

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks