Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 20:15   #46
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Just to update after a recent trip to this part of the country:

Tanjore - Nagapattanam section is all patched up and does not have any pot holes. Road surface is uneven because of the patching work but very comfortable to drive.
Best route is Trichy bypass ---> tanjore -->tanjore bypass --> Thiruvarur (again simple bypass) ---> nagapattinam ---> Velankanni. NH 67 is a decent four lane although still not completed till Thuvakudi but managable. From Tanjore decent 2 lane road (NH standards) all the way till Vellankanni.
Old 11th May 2012, 17:39   #47
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Planning a trip to Velankanni sometime in Aug/Sept this year and on reading this thread, I have decided on the following route.

Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Musri - Trichy - Tanjore - Nagapattinam - Velankani

I read that some road work is currently being undertaken so I am hoping everything will have been completed by Aug/Sept.

I have a question thought - what is the approximate time taken on this route to reach Velankanni?
Old 11th May 2012, 18:55   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa
I read that some road work is currently being undertaken so I am hoping everything will have been completed by Aug/Sept.
Instead of Musiri you should take the route via Thuraiyur. That should take you to the Trichy bypass directly and hence should let you latch on to the Tanjore four lane road.
Old 11th May 2012, 19:40   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa
These road works are going on for more than 5 years now and I'm 100% sure, it will not be over by the time you plan to drive.
Old 11th May 2012, 22:38   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Planning a trip to Velankanni sometime in Aug/Sept this year and on reading this thread, I have decided on the following route.

Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Musri - Trichy - Tanjore - Nagapattinam - Velankani

I have a question thought - what is the approximate time taken on this route to reach Velankanni?
After Namakkal, take Thuraiyur route ( as ampere said - refer to B'lore-Trichy thread for full details) to reach Trichy.

B'lore to Trichy can take approx. 6 hours with break.
Trichy - Tanjore - approx 45 mts max.
Tanjore - Velankannai - may be around 3 hours.

So plan for 10 hrs drive.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 14:50   #51
BHPian

Did Bangalore to Velankanni along with my wife and 2 year old child. Here are some pointers:

Onward journey - Took Bangalore- Hosur-Salem- Namakkal- Musiri- Trichi- Tanjavoor - Nagapattanam- Velankanni . We started by about 5:15AM from Bangalore and reached Velanakanni by 2PM ,with 2 short pit stops and one Lunch break near Nagapattnam. The condition of the road from Namakkal to Musiri was bad, with uneven tarring, pothholes and mud roads in some sections . The highlight was Trichi- Tanjavoor section, which has great 4 lane toll roads.

Return Journey- decided to avoid the Musiri route and drove to Thurayoor from Truchi -Google navigation provided the right directions. This was a very scenic route with good roads and less traffic. Started from Velankanni by 11:30AM and reached Whitefield by 8:30PM, again with a lunch break in Thurayoor and 2 pit stops.
Old 17th December 2012, 22:46   #52
BHPian

Can somebody guide on the route to velankanni from Bangalore .

I heard of the route through thuraiyur to reach trichy , do we need to reach Namakkal to reach thuraiyur ? Google maps showed me 2 routes to thuraiyur one is through Namkkal and other is through salem --->valapadi--->Thuraiyur.

Please suggest based on time/good roads.

Thanks in Advance
Old 17th December 2012, 22:56   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Can somebody guide on the route to velankanni from Bangalore .

I heard of the route through thuraiyur to reach trichy , do we need to reach Namakkal to reach thuraiyur ? Google maps showed me 2 routes to thuraiyur one is through Namkkal and other is through salem --->valapadi--->Thuraiyur.

Please suggest based on time/good roads.

Thanks in Advance
- Trichy - Thuraiyur you need to cover any way
- From Thuraiyur you can either goto Vazapadi or Namakkal and then from either of these places to Salem.
- But I would suggest you to take the Namakkal option. From Namakkal its a 4-lane
- Check Bangalore-Trichy thread on the latest about Trichy-Namakkal.
Old 4th July 2013, 14:09   #54
SBR
BHPian

Planning a trip this September from Bangalore to Nagapattinam (Nagore to be specific).

My ride - Ritz VDI
Occupants - Me, Wifey & my 4 year old daughter.

Which is the best route to take. I would like to avoid a longer route & prefer a shorter route.

advise.
Old 4th July 2013, 14:15   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Which is the best route to take. I would like to avoid a longer route & prefer a shorter route.
Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy - Tanjore-Thrivarur-Nagapattaam

Thats the shortest. At Namakkal you need to get into the town and ask for Thuraiyur.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 17:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy - Tanjore-Thrivarur-Nagapattaam

Thats the shortest. At Namakkal you need to get into the town and ask for Thuraiyur.
No need to go via Thuraiyur. straightforward Namakkal-Thottiyam-Musiri-Tollgate route is reported to be in great condition by someone who drove last weekend.

One you reach tollgate, take a left at the 4-way intersection and right on the NH45 bypass and catch Thanjavur road from bypass.

Thanjavur-Nagapattianm is patchy but doable.

Another alternate route would be to do Bangalore-Salem-Ulundurpet-Vriddachalam. But am not aware of conditions of roads connecting Vriddachalam and ECR. VW2010 and Sridhar K are the best people to comment about it.
Old 4th July 2013, 18:26   #57
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
No need to go via Thuraiyur. straightforward Namakkal-Thottiyam-Musiri-Tollgate route is reported to be in great condition by someone who drove last weekend.

One you reach tollgate, take a left at the 4-way intersection and right on the NH45 bypass and catch Thanjavur road from bypass.

Thanjavur-Nagapattianm is patchy but doable.

What will be the distance if I take the above route and can you help me with any pit stops where I can stop for food & refreshments.

Also, is the Toll Gate after Musiri? and how far from Musiri is the Toll Gate?

Await your inputs.
Old 4th July 2013, 18:28   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What will be the distance if I take the above route and can you help me with any pit stops where I can stop for food & refreshments.
Best pit stop I would recommend is Salem or before (A2B at Dharmapuri, Park Plaza, Grand Estacia at Salem etc) . Do note as per what Ranjitp1 mentioned, Grand Estacia (formerly a GRT property) is now no more a GRT property.

My details on Thuraiyur route option were limited to the Bangalore-Trichy thread, where many were still recommending the Thuraiyur option.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 20:08   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Best pit stop I would recommend is Salem or before (A2B at Dharmapuri, Park Plaza, Grand Estacia at Salem etc) . Do note as per what Ranjitp1 mentioned, Grand Estacia (formerly a GRT property) is now no more a GRT property.

My details on Thuraiyur route option were limited to the Bangalore-Trichy thread, where many were still recommending the Thuraiyur option.
Still Namakkal-Thottiyam-Musiri was in bad shape (as of three weeks back and there is no sign of road repairs at that time), though Musiri-Trichy in good shape. Not sure, if any repair work carried out in last two-three weeks.

Quote:
Await your inputs.
Toll gate (also called Samayapuram Tollgate) is a junction you'll get just before trichy if you go via Musiri route or Thuraiyur route.
From Tollgate you have to take the 4 lane roads (Chennai-Trichy highway) towards Trichy and within 4-5 KMs, you will see the exit on your left for Tanjore.

Last edited by nfsfreak : 4th July 2013 at 20:09.
nfsfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 20:17   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Await your inputs.
Bangalore-Salem 200 km
Salem-Trichy 126 km
Trichy-Thanjavur 55 km
Thanjavur-Nagore 100 km

Tollgate aka Number 1 Tollgate is a Trichy suburb where the road from Namakkal (SH25) ends and intersects with Madras-Trichy trunk road and the road towards Lalgudi-Chidambaram. Musiri is a town between Namakkal and Trichy, 50km from Namakkal and 26km from Trichy.
----
nfsfreak, this guy went this Sunday and literally surprised me with this news on Monday. I was recommending him the Thuraiyur route before he left telling how depressing Musiri Thottiyam has become.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks