Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2013, 23:37   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

When the patching up done? Last I heard was this stretch was to be rejected outright by anyone travelling to Velankanni from Tanjore.
I drove a week back. Onward via Thanjavur-Tiruvarur-Nagapattinam and return via Mannargudi.
Old 29th October 2013, 18:55   #92
SBR
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Finally, its time to go to Nagore on the extended weekend beginning 1st Nov.

My Ride: Ritz VDi
Occupants: Me, Wifey, BIL & my 4 year old daughter
Start Time: 4:00 AM

Planned Route:

Bangalore - Salem - Namakkal - Thuraiyur - Trichy - Thanjavur - Mannargudi - Thiruthuraipoondi - Nagapattinam - Nagore.
As I would be starting at 4:00 AM on 1st Nov, my pit stops will be Salem or some place before that, next stop at Namakkal or Trichy and Thanjavur. Any suggestions on good places to stop with parking and clean toilets on the way as this is my first trip on this route. I would prefer some place on the highway as I dont plan to take a detour. Any advise .
Old 30th October 2013, 10:28   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I would be starting at 4:00 AM on 1st Nov, my pit stops will be Salem or some place before that, next stop at Namakkal or Trichy and Thanjavur. Any suggestions on good places to stop with parking and clean toilets on the way as this is my first trip on this route. I would prefer some place on the highway as I dont plan to take a detour. Any advise .
I would suggest you to take breaks at following places.

1) Since you are leaving around 4 am in the morning, its good to break at Salem Grand Estancia. If you are hungry and want to have a bite earlier, you can stop at Thoppur A2B which is on the other side of the highway. Just take the U turn before the Thoppur toll booth. No detour here.

2) Next better stop could be at Trichy instead of Namakkal as you wouldn't have covered much distance after your first stop. In Trichy, though there are not much hotels right on the highway till you exit to Tanjore Bypass, if you are looking for decent hotel with good parking & rest rooms, a slight detour (about 2 kms) to Hotel Mayas in Chatram Bus stand area is a good choice. Once you are done, you can easily & quickly exit to Tanjore Bypass by taking Thiruvanikoil road. But you may have to ask few people about the exit to take, since you are not familiar with this route.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 15:16   #94
BHPian

Hi all,

I was planning on a Bangalore to Velankanni to Palakkad trip on November 1, 2013.

For the Bangalore to Velankanni part, I was considering the Bangalore - Salem - Namakkal - Thuraiyur - Trichy - Tanjore - Thiruvarur - Nagapattinam route. My understanding is that it should take about 9 hours. So if I start at 5am, should be there by 2 pm.

For the Velankanni to Palakkad part, I was considering the Nagapattinam - Thiruvarur - Tanjore - Trichy - Karur - Dharapuram - Pollachi - Palakkad route. (This route is from Google maps. Any suggestions for alternates are always welcome.) Google maps indicate about 7 hours. So guess the same should be about 8 hours.

Any suggestions or inputs? Any suggestions on whether its is better to stay in Velankanni itself, or should I stay at Tanjore/Kumbakonam. Suggestions on hotels are welcome. MGM Vailankanni Residency or Clinton Park Inn are the options I was considering at Velankanni. Or should I just try to do it all in one day? Doing it in one day seems very hectic though.

Quote:
As I would be starting at 4:00 AM on 1st Nov, my pit stops will be Salem or some place before that,
SBR, looks like we are travelling on the same day! Will keep a look-out for your Ritz. What colour is it?

Last edited by aah78 : 30th October 2013 at 18:53. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+ / " " MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 30th October 2013, 15:38   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Guys who are starting on Nov 1 it would be better if you can cross silk board before 04.00 AM. There is huge difference in traffic before and after 04.00 AM on Hosur road, an early start can help you cross Atibelle toll booth in no time.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 15:59   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you start at 4am, you will easily reach Salem by 6.30am. I think Thoppur A2B would be too early.

There are hardly any good hotels between Trichy and Thanjavur. The road is four lane and can be covered real quick. During our trip, we searched for a place and finally had to take first exit to Thanjavur city for lunch.

On our return, had lunch at Hotel Parishudham (that too inside city) and the place is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualManuel View Post
...........Trichy - Tanjore - Thiruvarur - Nagapattinam route......
This route is patched up and doable, but there are three railway gates.
Better, take Thanjavur-Mannargudi-Thiruthuraipoondi-Velankanni route, which is more scenic and straight road. There are little bad sections here and there but easily manageable.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 18:07   #97
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualManuel View Post
SBR, looks like we are travelling on the same day! Will keep a look-out for your Ritz. What colour is it?
Hey mate, you can look out for a Breeze Blue Ritz VDI with a LTD sticker at the back and a IDS sticker in the front.

Here is the ownership thread link of my Ritz VDI which has many pics of my car

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-ritz-vdi.html

I will keep an eye for the i20 I guess.
Old 30th October 2013, 18:23   #98
BHPian

Quote:
I will keep an eye for the i20 I guess.
It would be a white Honda Civic, with a KL registration. Safe journey !
manualManuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 11:09   #99
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, its time to go to Nagore on the extended weekend beginning 1st Nov.

My Ride: Ritz VDi
Occupants: Me, Wifey, BIL & my 4 year old daughter
Start Time: 4:00 AM

Planned Route:

Bangalore - Salem - Namakkal - Thuraiyur - Trichy - Thanjavur - Mannargudi - Thiruthuraipoondi - Nagapattinam - Nagore.
Just came back last night from the trip.

Onward journey was Bangalore - Salem - Namakkal - Musiri - Trichy - Thanjavur - Mannargudi - Thiruthuraipoondi - Nagapattinam - Nagore.

Started at 4:00 AM in Bangalore. First pitstop was at A2B in Thoppur for about 20 mins.

Salem: 8:00 AM
Trichy: 11:00 AM (Second pit stop at Sree sweet shop on the thanjavur highway)
Thanjavur: 12:15 PM
Lunch Break on way to Mannargudi. Had carried lunch from home.
Nagore: 3:25 PM
Distance: 525 KMS

The route was good overall. Suggest anyone to avoid the Namakkal - Musiri route. Its really bad with huge pot holes and lots of truck traffic.

Return Journey:

Nagore: 10:20 AM
Nagore - Thanjavur: Took the Thiruvarur route. Road is in decent condition but with too many blind turns and lots of traffic.
Trichy: 1:00 PM (1st pitstop at Hotel Aananth for lunch. It is located on the highway just before entering Trichy from Thanjavur)
Trichy - Thuraiyur - Namakkal - Excellent route.
Namakkal: 4:00 PM (Stopped at Hotel Aaryas for a Tea Break. Decent Hotel with clean toilets & this is located right on the main road in Namakkal)
A2B Thoppur: 6:30 PM
Krishnagiri: 8:00 PM (Dinner Break)
Home: 10:20 PM
Distance: 505 KMS

Total Distance covered - 1030 KMS. Hope this helps.
SBR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 11:14   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The route was good overall. Suggest anyone to avoid the Namakkal - Musiri route. Its really bad with huge pot holes and lots of truck traffic.
So looks like still Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy is a very good alternative option.
You should have taken that. Only problem is crossing Namakkal town. One way to beat Namakkal traffic to a certain extent is to enter via the Third city bypass/exit point.

Route Link

This works very well because you don't see the temple traffic and you don't need to go round the temple.

Last edited by ampere : 4th November 2013 at 11:16.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 12:35   #101
BHPian

Hi, has anyone done a cochin - velankanni trip lately? If so what would be the best route to take? Also any pointers on where to stay in velankanni? I am travelling with my family.

Thanks in advance
Old 19th December 2013, 12:44   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Hi, has anyone done a cochin - velankanni trip lately? If so what would be the best route to take? Also any pointers on where to stay in velankanni? I am travelling with my family.

Thanks in advance
Check #70. Very close to what you are looking for.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3206139
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 14:01   #103
BHPian

Thank you, how is the salem route? where do you take the diversion while coming from cochin?
Old 19th December 2013, 14:39   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Thank you, how is the salem route? where do you take the diversion while coming from cochin?
May be instead of driving all the way to Salem, you can also do :

Ernakulam-Angamaly-Trichur-bypass-Kuthiran-Vadakkenchery-Pollachi-Dharapuram-Odanchatram-Dindigul-Trichy-Tanjore-Tiruthuraioondi-Velankanni
Old 19th December 2013, 15:55   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
May be instead of driving all the way to Salem, you can also do :

Ernakulam-Angamaly-Trichur-bypass-Kuthiran-Vadakkenchery-Pollachi-Dharapuram-Odanchatram-Dindigul-Trichy-Tanjore-Tiruthuraioondi-Velankanni
Thank you, request feedback from anyone who has used this road recently

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks