Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2018, 22:38   #226
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Thanks all the suggestions. Had a very pleasant drive and stay at Velankanni.
As mentioned above, the whole road has been dug up to lay pipes and it looks like its going to take a while.

In case anyone visiting in the near future, instead of turning left to get on to the Velankanni main road/bus stand etc, drive further, a km or so. You will see a small bridge, turn left over there. It's a small kuccha road which leads to the main parking lot.

For the not so pleasant experience, was stopped by cops at Velankanni in the night, asked if I was wearing my seat belts, to which I said I never drive with my seat belts. And then he goes on to say that I do not have a black sticker on my headlight and was fined 100.
Old 9th July 2018, 22:09   #227
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this is already called out in one of the earlier posts. Apologies if it is.

For those heading to Velankkani/Nagapattinam or towards east, for a morning start from Bangalore, the A2B at Vallam, comes immediately in LHS after Sastra College in Trichy-Tanjore Highway is a perfect stop for clean rest rooms and lunch break. There is also Junior Kuppana restaurance in same building for non-veg lovers

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 09:33   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post

For those heading to Velankkani/Nagapattinam or towards east, for a morning start from Bangalore, the A2B at Vallam, comes immediately in LHS after Sastra College in Trichy-Tanjore Highway is a perfect stop for clean rest rooms and lunch break. There is also Junior Kuppana restaurant in same building for non-veg lovers

-Ravi
I agree with the A2B offering clean rest room et all. But in that part, there is a dearth of Non-veg restaurants. You would be better off sticking to Vegetarian food south of Chidambaram.
Old 20th August 2018, 11:35   #229
BHPian

Please advise which route to take for BLR - Velankanni.
Going through this thread, I was looking at BLR-Salem-Virudhachalam- Velankanni for to an fro.
Old 20th August 2018, 11:51   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Virudhachalam- Velankanni
There are 2 choices here:

1. Vriddachalam-Jayamkondam-Kumbakonam bypass-Kollumangudi-Karaikal-Velankanni

Has bad sections between T. Palur and KMU with increased traffic and narrower roads, rough sections on PY-TN border on both ends of Karaikal, 1/4 km of unpaved section near Kollumangudi. Totally about 10-15 kms you have to be careful with.

2. Vriddachalam-Kullanchavadi-right on MDR 199/200-Thiyagavalli-Chidambaram-Sirkazhi-Vaitheeswaran Koil-Karaikal-Velankanni

1/2 km at Kullanchavadi worth narrow section. 1/2 km at Chidambaram bypass of bad sections. Traffic increases around Vaitheeswaran Koil-Mayavaram. There is slightly higher on ECR (Thyagavalli onwards) when compared to Route 1.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 18:26   #231
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Visited Velankanni last week. Took the Salem Namakkal Musiri Srirangam Tanjore Mannarkudi route. Total travel time of 8.5 hours.

The dug up roads in Velankanni were being patched up. Should be ready in time for the feast.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 13:19   #232
BHPian

On Sept 2nd we visited Thirukadaiyur temple, famous for conducting 60th, 70th and 80th marriage puja's. We booked the puja and homam there for my parents. The temple's history is very rich and long (although the maintenance is not upto the mark). There are several websites where you can book various packages (including arrangements and accomodation).

We travelled on two different routes during the trip.

- Onward route: via. Krishnagiri, Harur, Tiruvannamalai, Thirukoilur, Panruti, Vadalur, Chidambaram
- Return route: via. Chidambaram bypass, Viruddachalam, Attur, Salem, Krishnagiri

Onward route:
By the time we changed borders after Attibele toll, it was 1PM.
* The route till Tiruvannamalai via. Krishnagiri, Kariamangalam, Morapppur, Harur, Theerthamalai has already been covered in this post (Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries) and the thread. We had a break here to visit Ramana Ashram and lunch at Auro Usha.
Near Theerthamalai ghat section
Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-img_2390.jpg
Tiruvannamalai hill from Thirukoilur road
Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-img_2407.jpg
* To the south of TVMalai, we took a left on the road that connected us to Thirukoilur. This is a small, under construction stretch. It was rough and wobbly. After that, until Thirukoilur it was plain and smooth sailing. This single road is wide enough to maintain good speeds too. The road becomes narrow as you approach the town and it remains so even after you exit it.
* Thriukoilur - Panruti in general was good. Much of this stretch is wide and well marked although undivided. It was a pleasure to drive through small villages.
Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-img_2409.jpg
We tried to make up for the lost time at Tiruvannamali. Somewhere along the line we faced a diversion due to an unfinished railway bridge. This diversion - including a railway gate - lasts almost a couple of kms and was pretty darn bad. Also we were caught in a market near NH38 underpass. Took us some time to negotiate our way through. Also at various points on this route we were bothered by children collecting Ganesh chanda. They would occupy the road and wave their hands until we slow down.
* From Panruti the going was slow due to dense traffic consisting of bikes and autos up til Vadalur, probably owing to the presence of lignite mining plant near Neyveli. At one point there we were held up close to 20 mins for opposite traffic to clear a very narrow culvert. After Buvanagiri the traffic was sparse. We took a detour towards Chidambaram town to visit Nataraja temple.
Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-img_2412.jpg
Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-img_2417.jpg
We had dinner at Sri Krishna Vilas.
* Chidambaram to Thirukadaiyur was done in pitch dark. The truck traffic took over. With several twists and turns we had a hard time overtaking them. We reached Thirukadaiyur at 10:30PM finally.

Return route:
We started our return immediately after finishing the puja and sumptuous breakfast at Sri Krishna subsequently. It was 10AM when we waved goodbye to our stay, Hotel Chella Residency.
* It was the same path we took till Bhuvanagiri the night before. After Bhuvanagiri decided to go against google and try Miralur route till Sethiyathope. This was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. The road, or minefield rather, if I can call it that, was atrocious. Potholes followed more potholes and it only became worse. I didn't turn back as I saw polished newly laid stretch initially. But the reprieve was only temporary. So took a left near Sethiyathope to enter a parallel road to Viruddachalam. This too wasn't great. But not that bad either.
* We rested at Viruddachalam for a satisfying lunch. Then it was a non-stop run till Salem.
* We joined the excellent NH79 before Attur. The double road is converted to a single road after a while. It was wonderful to watch and drive past the towering mountains on both sides and it was a welcome relief to reenter divided highways. We had a clear run till Salem.
* After Salem it was the usual Salem-Bangalore road. Great as usual.

Eateries we tried:
* At Tiruvannamalai we made a pitstop at Auro Usha. We had fried rice, paneer butter masala, dal, paratha's, sambar rice. Slightly on the pricier side but the food was tasty.
* A quick lookup on google for restaurants near Chidambaram and our eyes were fixed on Sri Krishna Vilas. We went there at 9PM. We were slighly disappointed when we were told that meals were exhausted. So we ordered masala, podi, pepper dosa's. Absolutely some of the best dosa's we ever had. Cracking coffee too. For once google reviews were spot on.
* Breakfast at Sri Krishna restaurant opposite Thirukadaiyur temple was lip smacking. All of us were super hungry after the puja and our appetite meant each of us had two copies of delicious Ven Pongal. The sambar and chutney were great accompaniments.
* We had lunch at a roadside joint at Viruddachalam as our stomachs were growling. The meal was very simple. A beetroot curry, sambar, rasam and spiced buttermilk. It was satisfying, if not as good as earlier meals.

Thirukadaiyur temple
Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-img_2421.jpg
Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-img_2462.jpg
Beach near Poompuhar (meeting point of Kaveri river and Bay of Bengal)
Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-img_2467.jpg
Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-img_2469.jpg
Beautiful road near Sirkali
Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries-img_2479.jpg

Last edited by strawhat : 4th September 2018 at 13:25.
strawhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 15:46   #233
Team-BHP Support

Very-very valuable update. So to summarize Vridhchalam-Chidambaram has not been fixed. And what more, it seems to be horrible!
Old 1st October 2018, 16:54   #234
BHPian

Hey guys,
Have booked flight tickets to Chennai for 18th October 2018. Will reach Chennai by 9.00am and will take a cab to Velainkanni. I need your recommendations with regards to a good hotel to stay in. Will be there for 2 nights only. We are a family of 3 people(Parents and me).
Considering its Dusherra time need to get the bookings done asap.
Old 1st October 2018, 17:12   #235
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
I need your recommendations with regards to a good hotel to stay in.
I have heard Clinton Park is good, no personal experience though.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 00:20   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,
Have booked flight tickets to Chennai for 18th October 2018. Will reach Chennai by 9.00am and will take a cab to Velainkanni. I need your recommendations with regards to a good hotel to stay in. Will be there for 2 nights only. We are a family of 3 people(Parents and me).
Considering its Dusherra time need to get the bookings done asap.
Clinton Park Inn (close to the church) or you can try Velankanni Lake Resort (about 4 kms - 5 kms from the church)

Last edited by djjebs : 2nd October 2018 at 00:20. Reason: Typo
djjebs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 13:01   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,
Have booked flight tickets to Chennai for 18th October 2018. Will reach Chennai by 9.00am and will take a cab to Velainkanni. I need your recommendations with regards to a good hotel to stay in. Will be there for 2 nights only.

You can try Hotel Seagate or Hotel Picnic adjacent to the Velankanni Basilica. Both are owned by the same management and they have ample Car parking facility.
Advantage of booking a hotel close to the Basilica is you can walk to the church. If you need to go the Holy Water Tank, you may need to take your car.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 15:49   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I have heard Clinton Park is good, no personal experience though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjebs View Post
Clinton Park Inn (close to the church) or you can try Velankanni Lake Resort (about 4 kms - 5 kms from the church)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
You can try Hotel Seagate or Hotel Picnic adjacent to the Velankanni Basilica. Both are owned by the same management and they have ample Car parking facility.
Advantage of booking a hotel close to the Basilica is you can walk to the church. If you need to go the Holy Water Tank, you may need to take your car.

Thanks alot guys. Have booked Clinton Park. Will update the thread once the trip is over.
Old 17th October 2018, 10:51   #239
SBR
BHPian

Trip to Nagapattinam is on the cards over the extended weekend.

My ride will be Maruti Ertiga - Myself, Wifey and 02 lil girls.

Considering a safer route, what is the best option. I can think of below one;

Bangalore - Salem - Namakkal - Srirangam - Trichy - Tanjore - Mannarkudi - Nagapattinam.

Second Option:

Bangalore - Vellore - Villupuram - Sirkazi - Nagapattinam.

Any suggestions. The drive can be longer but with fewer gear changes.
Old 17th October 2018, 12:07   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post

Considering a safer route, what is the best option. I can think of below one;

Bangalore - Salem - Namakkal - Srirangam - Trichy - Tanjore - Mannarkudi - Nagapattinam.
Any suggestions. The drive can be longer but with fewer gear changes.
Go with Trichy/Tanjore option.
Not sure what you meant by "fewer gear changes" or intended to say.
Once you exit 6L/4L roads, anyway you end up with more gear changes in 2L roads for speed breakers and overtaking.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks