Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2020, 10:39   #286
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
No. You can take SH 70 after you bypass Vridhachalam to Bhuvanagiri.

Here is the Google Maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/GKcevPtQFcgbEmYU7
SH70 will definitely slow you down because of the potholes and bad patches.
Old 2nd February 2020, 20:39   #287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels View Post
SH70 will definitely slow you down because of the potholes and bad patches.
Vridhachalam-Chidambaram is still bad.

See Narayan's update:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4626934 (Bangalore - Chidambaram : Route Queries)

What you should do is post Vridhachalam go to Neyveli-Kullanchavadi - Alapakkam - Chidambaram

Ref : Route Link
Old 9th February 2020, 11:03   #288
BHPian

The best route from the road condition point of view is definitely Salem > vrindachalam >kumbakonam>thiruvarur>Velankanni.

Good roads and definite timesaver.
Old 12th February 2020, 07:15   #289
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels View Post
The best route from the road condition point of view is definitely Salem > vrindachalam >kumbakonam>thiruvarur>Velankanni.
I thought he was looking for options to Chidambaram. But yes if Velankanni is he target, then surely what you say makes sense.

How is Thiruvarur-Nagapattnam? If not great, one more option is to drive towards Thiruthuraipundi and take a deviation towards (Ettukudi Murugan Temple) and reach out the ECR on the other side. You will need searching on the maps, but the option can work out beautifully. Thiruvarur-Thiruthuraipoondi is also a nicely laid out 2-lane. (This is what I am referring to: Route Link

Also what is the status of Kumbakonam bypass ? Have all the constructions been completed?

Last edited by ampere : 12th February 2020 at 07:16.
Old 24th October 2020, 09:04   #290
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks need some route advice for a friend:
Onward from Bangalore to Velankanni he took the infamous Krishnagiri-Tiruvannamalai route (don't know if this was a gmaps suggestion).

He wants to know which is a good route for his return journey.
Old 24th October 2020, 13:10   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Onward from Bangalore to Velankanni he took the infamous Krishnagiri-Tiruvannamalai route (don't know if this was a gmaps suggestion).

Yes, google suggests only that route as a choice which is obviously not a great choice.

Return via Velankanni-Tiruvarur-Needamangalam-Thanjavur-Trichy-Salem-Bangalore is best.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 16:27   #292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Yes, google suggests only that route as a choice which is obviously not a great choice.

Return via Velankanni-Tiruvarur-Needamangalam-Thanjavur-Trichy-Salem-Bangalore is best.

-Ravi
My take: Take the Vridhchalam Attur option. But avoid Chidambaram-Vridhachalam by a detour. (I think member narayans80 had a suggestion)

Route link
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 20:46   #293
Senior - BHPian

Any idea if the Thanjavur-Nagapattinam route is good now?
The last I traveled on this route was two years ago and there was 4 laning work going on and I had to go via Mannargudi and Thruthurapoondi to avoid that section.
Old 18th February 2021, 09:29   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Any idea if the Thanjavur-Nagapattinam route is good now?
The last I traveled on this route was two years ago and there was 4 laning work going on and I had to go via Mannargudi and Thruthurapoondi to avoid that section.
Is Velankanni Basilica open now ?
A friend who does the south trip regularly told us that Needamangalam stretch was awful. Why not stick to Vridhachalam, Chidambaram, Sirkazhi, Karaikal route ? You may not reach 3 digit figures there , but at least you will be moving without resorting to taking diversion.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 18:11   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A friend who does the south trip regularly told us that Needamangalam stretch was awful. Why not stick to Vridhachalam, Chidambaram, Sirkazhi, Karaikal route ? You may not reach 3 digit figures there , but at least you will be moving without resorting to taking diversion.
Yes, it is open since last September is what I read.

Will try this route as it seems shorter as well. I have tried multiple routes on the return every time, but I keep forgetting them since I take a different route every year and it has been two years since I last visited Velankanni.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 11:19   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did this route on the onward journey on Saturday and the roads from Virudachalam to Sirkali are not great. I don't remember if it was from Chidambaram or from Virudachalam, that had road works going on which has non-asphalted sections.
One lane of the road was occupied by the locals for loading grain along with road works every 500 meters. Few kilometers before Tharangambadi, there are short stretches that are bad as well. Overall, from Chidambaram to Nagapattinam, because of local traffic and the above, progress was slow.

The return I took was via Thruthuraipoondi-Mannarguddi-Thanjavur-Trichy- Karur road till halfway and took the bridge across Cauvery to continue on the Musiri-Namakkal road. Thankfully, all the stretches all the way from Velankanni till the 4 lane NH to Salem was in very good conditions.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 11:28   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
One lane of the road was occupied by the locals for loading grain along with road works every 500 meters. Few kilometers before Tharangambadi, there are short stretches that are bad as well. Overall, from Chidambaram to Nagapattinam, because of local traffic and the above, progress was slow.
You were lucky. Unprecedented rains had battered the Cuddalore region yesterday. Every monsoon, Karaikal/Nagapattinum region gets tons of rain and every second storm crosses this area resulting in damaged roads. For people in Madras, visiting Velankanni in monsoon times is not an option.
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:31   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You were lucky. Unprecedented rains had battered the Cuddalore region yesterday. Every monsoon, Karaikal/Nagapattinum region gets tons of rain and every second storm crosses this area resulting in damaged roads. For people in Madras, visiting Velankanni in monsoon times is not an option.
Yes, I heard after I got back. In fact I was preparing for rains all the way back to Bangalore since there was forecast for rains even in Bangalore, but not a drop till I got back. There were occasional showers here and there on way the between Salem and Virudachalam, but nothing in Velankanni. In fact, it was sunny the day I was there and when I left as well on Sunday morning.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 21:16   #299
BHPian

Hello All,

Planning the trip from Bangalore to Vailankanni in the mid of next week.

Google maps is suggesting the usual Bangalore, Salem, Artur, Chidambaram, Karaikal, Vailankanni.

Hope this is the best route to take both ways?

Any recommendations on the restaurants (family friendly) enroute?

Any recommendations in Vailankanni for shopping, things to do, nearby places.

Thanks a lot.
Old 2nd October 2021, 22:45   #300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by monish_m View Post
Google maps is suggesting the usual Bangalore, Salem, Artur, Chidambaram, Karaikal, Vailankanni.
I can think of two other options.

1. If one can manage T-Palur and KMU bypass, then KMU-Thiruvarur- Take Thiruthuraipoondi SH and take the Ettupadi exit, And head to Thirupoondi on ECR and head to Velankanni. Down south of KMU roads are good.

2. Take the regular Trichy-Tanjore-Mannargudi-Thiruthuraipoondi-Velankanni option.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks