Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 21:48   #16
Sha
BHPian

Yesterday i was in Karikal, best route currently

Bangalore-Krishnagairi-thiruvanmmali from thiruvanmmali take Gingee route(its will be confusing in town ask direction for gingee route), from gingee proceed to panruti. there are two route to go panruti from thiruvanmmali take gingee route which is better road condition. From panruti take tanjore route and road is bad condition go slow, after 25-35km place called vandalur(not sure about name its big intersection) take left turn from then onwards chidabaram-karaikal-nagore-nagapattinam-velakani.
Road condition is bad at some stretch have to drive careful you might except potholes anytime. it should take 9+ hours from bangalore
Old 20th January 2009, 00:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Exactly, if you take the Gingee route you will have to take the Chennai - Tiruchi highway which is being 4 laned. If you take the Tiruvanamalai - Thirukoyilur - Panruti route it will directly hit the intersection. The road from Tiruvanamalai to Tirukoyilur is good with some small deviations were culverts were being built. Tirukoyilur - Panruti route is straightforward.
Old 20th January 2009, 08:38   #18
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Exactly, if you take the Gingee route you will have to take the Chennai - Tiruchi highway which is being 4 laned. If you take the Tiruvanamalai - Thirukoyilur - Panruti route it will directly hit the intersection. The road from Tiruvanamalai to Tirukoyilur is good with some small deviations were culverts were being built. Tirukoyilur - Panruti route is straightforward.
Tiruvanammalai-thirukoyilur-panruti road is in bad condition due to rain I have travelled two months back in this route to check it. I travel to karaikal every month or twice the road condition changes everytime.
Better take thiruvanamalai-gingee-villupuram-panruti which is in better condition. its around 100KM from tiruvanammalai to panruti.

one more route,tiruvanamalai-vettavalam-villipuram-panruti, road condition is ok but you can except potholes anytime.

Last edited by Sha : 20th January 2009 at 08:42. Reason: One more route can be taken
Old 26th January 2009, 18:42   #19

Thank you Senthil & Sha for the directions. Just wanted your views on the route Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salenm-Naamakkal-Musiri-Trichi-Tanjore-Nidamangalam-Thiruvarur-Nagappattinam-Velankanni.

I guess this is longer but I was told you can do this much faster. Your views will be very helpful. Thank you in advance.
Old 26th January 2009, 19:04   #20

Thank you for your guidance on this route Sentil & Sha. I wanted to pick your brains and others on the forum on another route...longer yet faster(I believe).

Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Naamakkal-Musiri-Trichi-Tanjore-Thiruvarur-Nagappattinam-Velankanni.
Old 27th January 2009, 09:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTJ View Post
Thank you for your guidance on this route Sentil & Sha. I wanted to pick your brains and others on the forum on another route...longer yet faster(I believe).

Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Naamakkal-Musiri-Trichi-Tanjore-Thiruvarur-Nagappattinam-Velankanni.
We did Velankannni in November. The Pondy route was taking longer though it was shorter, because of the twists, and a few narrow sections between Pondy and Nagapattinam.

I prefer the route mentioned above. We took that route on our way back and could reach in less time though it was longer. A consistent 100 kmph can be maintained all the way, and you can push further in Bangalore-Salem road (depends on what you drive). But watchout for the villegers crossing the roads, and coming in the wrong way!

Drive safe.
-Tom
Old 27th January 2009, 11:51   #22
BHPian

Update on Velankanni Route

I had traveled to Velankanni 2 days back and the route i took for the onward journey from Bangalore was

1) Bangalore --->Krishnagiri---->Salem---->Namakkal---->Musri---->trichy---->Tanjore--->Velankanni

The Salem Namakkal road was not in good shape the road widening is going on so you may feel find some potholes and diversion there ,

The Namakkal to Musri route is ok with few bad patches here and there . The Trichi--->Tanjore route was the horrible one with road widening going on and with lot of diversions and potholes.

The tanjore velankanni section was ok and good enough.

On my return Journey i took
Velankanni---> Sirkali-->Chidambaram--->Neyvelli--->Panruti-->Tirukoyilur-->Tiruvanamalai-->Krishnagiri-->Bangalore

Though my friend had driven the vehicle on the return journey , The distance is much less but the roads were pretty bad here and there .

I felt comfortable taking the Salem route than the Panruti route , You have may to spend more time there , but it gives a better driving comfort .

We had our lunch just after the Neyvelli Lignite field there is a resturant Archana garden resturant on your right side and the food was good out there.

For Stay at velankanni the Seagate hotel is a good option.The sea gate resorts is a good option if there are more than 1 family .It's like a house
Old 22nd January 2010, 21:21   #23
BHPian

Folks,

I have to drive to Karaikal from Bangalore tomorrow. Am seeing the route Blore-Tiruvannamalai-Thriukovilur-Panruti-Cuddalore- Sirkazhi to the route. Any recent updates on this route?

Any help will be appreciated.

Nainar
Old 1st August 2011, 22:18   #24
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Hi All,

I have decided for a trip to Velankanni form Goa via Bangalore, Goa to Bangalore will be by flight so I want to know what are my next options to go to Velankanni from Bangalore, I would like to know which of the bus operators travel from Bangalore to Velankanni (A/C Volvo) and if possible from where do we board the bus,departure and arrival timing?
Old 1st August 2011, 22:27   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hi All,

I have decided for a trip to Velankanni form Goa via Bangalore, Goa to Bangalore will be by flight so I want to know what are my next options to go to Velankanni from Bangalore, I would like to know which of the bus operators travel from Bangalore to Velankanni (A/C Volvo) and if possible from where do we board the bus,departure and arrival timing?
I am not sure of buses. But there is a train to Mayiladuthirai, from Bangalore.

(Mysore-Mayilduthurai express #16232). It would take you to Mayilduthurai early morning. There may be enough buses to Velankanni from there (Its only about 60-70 km).
Old 2nd August 2011, 07:47   #26
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
I would like to know which of the bus operators travel from Bangalore to Velankanni (A/C Volvo) and if possible from where do we board the bus,departure and arrival timing?
There is no KSRTC bus service from Bangalore to Velankanni. However, there are some private buses operated from Bangalore. You can search and book your tickets here.

Old 2nd August 2011, 14:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I am not sure of buses. But there is a train to Mayiladuthirai, from Bangalore.

(Mysore-Mayilduthurai express #16232). It would take you to Mayilduthurai early morning. There may be enough buses to Velankanni from there (Its only about 60-70 km).
As ampere suggested, first preference would be to go by train till Mayiladuthurai.

Else, you can take KSRTC bus to one of these destinations : Tanjore or Kumbakonam or Trichy from Bangalore and the take a connecting local bus to Velankanni. You need to board the bus at Shanti Nagar Bus stand in Bangalore. But these are not A/c volvo, just a UD bus.

Or as J.Ravi suggested, take the private buses if you are looking for volvo.

For staying options, Tanjore or Kumbakonam are better places compared to Velankanni or Nagapattinam (which is the nearest town to velankanni).

-Ravi
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Mysore - Mayiladuthurai express is one of those trains for which tickets are booked quite early so unless your plan is for a month from now I doubt you would get tickets especially if the plans are for a weekend. The best option in my opinion is to take the KPN A/c sleeper bus to Velankanni from Bangalore which starts at 8:00 PM and should reach at around 7 in the morning. You could book your tickets at www.kpntravels.in.
Old 17th August 2011, 21:34   #29
BHPian

Hi Guys, I am planning a trip to Velankani in the 2nd week of september.

The onward route that i have planned to take is:-

Bangalore -->Krishnagiri-->Salem-->Namakkal-->Musri-->trichy---->Tanjore--->Velankanni

I HAVE to take this route as i have to visit Manaparai also which is on the way kinds. I did the Bangalore --->Krishnagiri---->Salem---->Namakkal---->Musri route in June this year and the roads were good. Can somebody tell me about the road conditions from Trichy to Velankani?

Also guys please suggest if i have to take the same route mentioned above or do i have to take any other route (shorter and better) for my return journey to Bangalore from Velankani.
Old 18th August 2011, 08:34   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Torque123,

Check this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2021741

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks