Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2008, 11:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Puttaparthi : route advice

am planning to drive town to Puttaparthi from Bangalore this weekend. might drive down on saturday evening or early sunday morning. return is going to be on sunday evening/night.

now, which do you guys think is the best route to take. ( i stay near DevaGowda hospital (near Deva Gowda petrol pump)).

And any update on the road condition will be helpful.

thanks!
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2008, 11:37   #2
BANNED

Have you done the trip?

The shortest route from Bangalore to Puttaparthi is via NH7 / Bellary Road. My month old post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/661154-post10.html has details of road conditions.

The route is Hebbal - Yelahanka - Devanahalli - Chikkaballapur - Bagepalli (KA RTO Checkpost) - Kodikonda (AP RTO Checkpost) - Thummalakunta

Thummalakunta is about 9 km from the KA - AP border and identified by a sharp S curve just after an IBP bunk on the left and an IOC bunk on the right. Turn right here for Puttaparthi (42 km from the turn off). There are enough signs all along the way.

There is roadwork happening on the road leading to Puttaparthi from Thummalakunta so please be careful. After 9 pm, the last 42 km is quite desolate and you can expect police checkposts at one or two places.
Old 30th January 2008, 16:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

dicore,

thanks for the response. i did do the trip over the weekend.

got help from few of my neighbours who had been there.

infact, due to the road works, there are absolutely no sign board!!! but based on the

advice given, i was on the look out for the right turn and missed it by just 50 meters! :-)

hopefully, will post the travalogue soon.
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:35   #4
BHPian

some queries

1)any lpg pump in this route ?
2) when i travelled in jan there was some roadwork going on. any idea if its over?
3)is night driving safe in this route esp after entering AP and taking right to Puttaparthi. The road was quite narrow and didnt seem to have any street lights

Thanks!
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
some queries

1)any lpg pump in this route ?
2) when i travelled in jan there was some roadwork going on. any idea if its over?
3)is night driving safe in this route esp after entering AP and taking right to Puttaparthi. The road was quite narrow and didnt seem to have any street lights

Thanks!
1. Did not notice any. Might have been there; maybe some one else might be able to shed some light.

2. I had also done the journey at around the same time, so cannot comment on this. Am sure they might have made good progress, hopefully!

3. I would say evening drive is ok. Night time drives are a bit risky. And yes, rightly noticed, the roads are two way traffic ones and have absolutely no street lights. There were certain stretches where they had dug up the road on either side, so it leaves place just for 1 vehicle to go.
Old 4th April 2008, 10:26   #6
BHPian

Thanks HappyWheels!
will better drive during day time
Old 4th April 2008, 11:51   #7
BANNED

Did BLR-PTP on Sunday evening and PTP-BLR on Monday morning.

1. Haven't noticed any LPG pumps on the way. But then, I wasn't looking for one.
2. Roadwork is still going on - lots of sudden unmarked diversions. In some places, the road doesn't exist (4x4 territory esp. with slush after rains). Please be very careful. Saw a Verna which had gone head on into a truck at one of these diversions.
3. Unless you are familiar with the road after the turn off from NH7, don't do this after dark. I have done it at night many times - Puttaparthi generally shuts down at 9 pm and after that the traffic into and out of there is minimal. You will find the occasional truck / LCV / bus but if your car has a problem, you would have to wait (the area is not very pleasant to wait in the dark) until someone comes along. Some stretches along this route have no mobile coverage.
Old 4th April 2008, 14:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

rajesh - good choice of travelling by day. And it takes hardly 3 hrs. It took me 3.5 hrs, with 1 hr spent on getting to the Hebbal flyover from my place of stay.

Have journey, mate! :-)
Old 4th April 2008, 15:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
rajesh - good choice of travelling by day. And it takes hardly 3 hrs. It took me 3.5 hrs, with 1 hr spent on getting to the Hebbal flyover from my place of stay.

Have journey, mate! :-)
hmm.. last time it took 5 hrs for me . but then my car and my driving experience was only 1 week old . let me see how much time i will take now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicorex4x4 View Post
Did BLR-PTP on Sunday evening and PTP-BLR on Monday morning.

2. Roadwork is still going on - lots of sudden unmarked diversions. In some places, the road doesn't exist (4x4 territory esp. with slush after rains). Please be very careful. Saw a Verna which had gone head on into a truck at one of these diversions.
thanks for that warning. will be careful
Old 4th April 2008, 15:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
...Have journey, mate! :-)
That was supposed to be "Happy"!
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:01   #11
Team-BHP Support

Can any one update on the road conditions? Also how far one needs to go on NH7?
What is the status of 4L on this section? Any good places to stay?

Last edited by ampere : 23rd December 2009 at 17:12.
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:10   #12
BHPian

i did this route 2 weeks back. its really smooth drive except chikballapur town
chickbalapur bypass wasnt over . once that gets over you can just zoom past.
once you cross the karnataka border be alert to take the right deviation. you wont find any boards here . if you havent taken this route in the last 4 months, you might get confused.

take care between airport-hebbal. there will be police with speed interceptors

from here the roads are almost the same stature as it had been for some time. mostly good roads but in between there are some bad patches

edit : on how far one needs to go on nh7 :
once you cross teh border(you will see some toll booths coming up) keep going straight for some more distance, dont remember any landmarks but you will go over a small bridge i believe and as it ends, there is a right turn to be taken. there is a temple like structure at this right deviation. to confirm you may ask anyone (if you find someone) . else go bit more forward after turning right and you will see a milestone on the right

Last edited by rajesh1868 : 23rd December 2009 at 17:25.
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:13   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i did this route 2 weeks back. its really smooth drive except chikballapur town
chickbalapur bypass wasnt over . once that gets over you can just zoom past.
once you cross the karnataka border be alert to take the right deviation. you wont find any boards here . if you havent taken this route in the last 4 months, you might get confused.

take care between airport-hebbal. there will be police with speed interceptors

from here the roads are almost the same stature as it had been for some time. mostly good roads but in between there are some bad patches
Thanks. if there are no signboards, can you tell where you need to take diversion on NH7? As mentioned in the first post, is it Bagepally?
Also any places to stay in Puttaparthi?

Last edited by ampere : 23rd December 2009 at 17:17.
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:20   #14
BHPian

i had edited my post on some indicators on the right turn.
one more advice would be to avoid early morning return trip . it will be heavily fogged this time and you may not get proper visibility.

Sai plaza - ac room will be 1200+tax . decent rooms
sai brindavan - last time i stayed they charged 800 for ac but he told he will increase it. not so clean toilets
both these has car parks. there is one opposite to brindavan which is new. no idea how it is. just opposite to ashram there is kota sathyam but they are not providing parking now.

edit: you need to cross bagepally and then the right turn

Last edited by rajesh1868 : 23rd December 2009 at 17:21.
Old 27th December 2009, 14:32   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i had edited my post on some indicators on the right turn.
one more advice would be to avoid early morning return trip . it will be heavily fogged this time and you may not get proper visibility.

Sai plaza - ac room will be 1200+tax . decent rooms
sai brindavan - last time i stayed they charged 800 for ac but he told he will increase it. not so clean toilets
both these has car parks. there is one opposite to brindavan which is new. no idea how it is. just opposite to ashram there is kota sathyam but they are not providing parking now.

edit: you need to cross bagepally and then the right turn
Just came back from this stretch. I must say its beautiful. The best way to find the diversion is after the toll booth (which is still not functional yet), you will hit Raxa academy on the left. You cannot miss this at all. The diversion is 5KM after this institute on the right. There are no sign-boards. I guess, govt need to put a big sign board.

4L has been completed till this stretch. Not sure how much they have actually on the full section. It was amazing with no traffic whatsoever. Its a complete opposite to the NH7 on the Bangalore south ! Even the state highway after the diversion is very decent. Dividers marked on the road and its sufficiently wide.

Parking at Puttaparthi is a problem. I could not get Sai plaza, which have their own parking. Its better to take a small car as they can easily traverse through the narrow lanes of the town.

Overall a good experience on NH7. I still wonder why there is no traffic on this stretch? It definitely cannot be due to tensions prevaiiing in the neighboring state.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks