Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2010, 11:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

completed the tvm-chennai stretch. it was a far far better drive than expected. as mentioned in this thread, after crossing Nagercoil, roads are very good.

started from tvm at 5am and reached home at thiruvanmiyur by 530pm with a total break time of 1.5-2 hrs. was mostly holding speeds of 110-120kmph on the i10. car feels solid even at these speeds.

madurai bypass was a slightly bad stretch. there was also a toll collection by some locals in the name of madurai corporation. wonder whether its a legal toll collection booth.
Old 30th October 2010, 10:17   #62
BHPian

continuing information on where we can take break/hotels.

I drove back from Chennai yesterday. I found most of the petrol bunks have usable toilets. You can use these for the 'bio' breaks.

I started at 5.45 from Chennai and reached TVM 5:30 PM.

Breakfast was taken near Tindivanam. Couple of ok hotels are there.

Lunch taken towards end of NH-45B. There are couple of hotels adjacent to Indian Oil and HP pertrol bunks on either side of the highway. Another place could be, after taking the Madurai bypass, just at the junction where Rameswaram road goes to the left, you can see a hotel "Rajbhavans". From the appearance, it looks an ok hotel, though I did not go there.

Timewise, I think 11:30 to 12:30 hours, we can cover this distance, with 1 hr break and speed never not exceeding 120.
Old 30th October 2010, 11:09   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
madurai bypass was a slightly bad stretch. there was also a toll collection by some locals in the name of madurai corporation. wonder whether its a legal toll collection booth.
The toll collected by Corporation is legal as this byepass is not part of the NHAI network, which is the reason it is 2 lane and I doubt it would become 4 lane in the near future. When I used the byepass in the first week of October I did not find it so bad except being 2 lane and traffic is reasonably high.
Old 30th October 2010, 17:11   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont remember seeing any on the Trichy-Madurai 45B!
Those I thought were the best cities for breaks. But not sure of good hotels on the highway. Even I would be interested to know about them.
there is a good hotel in the trichy bypass near the starting of NH45B. it is hotel grand gardenia with the restaurant of hotel kannapa. its a pretty good place and this comes to the right side of the bypass underneath a flyover(mannarpuram flyover)

the red colour dot represents the hotel and the black line represents the new path of the bypass. this is the new road of the bypass to connect to NH45B
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai - Trivandrum : Route Queries-untitled.jpg  

Old 31st October 2010, 22:52   #65
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for that info. Would come in real handy.
Old 8th November 2010, 08:53   #66
BHPian

Yesterday I drove back from Trivandrum to Chennai.

Started at 5:45.
Breakfast was taken at a hotel before Nagercoil, it is just after the St Xavier Catholic college.
Checked out Rajbhavans at the beginning of the Madurai bypass. Just passable, not a great place. I still prefer the hotels near to Indian Oil bunk a little further down.

Thanks to laylander, had lunch at Kannappa restaurant in Trichy, which is a pretty decent place. I took the exit road to Trichy, went all the way to signal after the railway station and took the right road which joins NH45. After the signal this hotel comes at the rest. Please let me know if there is a better way to reach this hotel.

Reached Chennai at 6:15PM
Old 28th November 2010, 12:17   #67
BANNED

Trivandrum to chennai. google avoids Thirulnelveli & nagerkoil

As per google map, it shows Tirumangalam,Rajapalayam,Sankarankovil and Madathara to reach Tivandrum and distance is about 704km from chennai where as when i specified to take virudhunagar, Thirulnelveli , Nagerkoil it shows 758km from chennai
Any reason that google map avoids Thirulnelveli and Nagerkoil.
For someone who is new to this stretch which is better. Thanks.

refer pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai - Trivandrum : Route Queries-trivandrum-chennai.jpg  

Old 28th November 2010, 22:09   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijujj View Post
Yesterday I drove back from Trivandrum to Chennai.

Started at 5:45.
Breakfast was taken at a hotel before Nagercoil, it is just after the St Xavier Catholic college.
Checked out Rajbhavans at the beginning of the Madurai bypass. Just passable, not a great place. I still prefer the hotels near to Indian Oil bunk a little further down.

Thanks to laylander, had lunch at Kannappa restaurant in Trichy, which is a pretty decent place. I took the exit road to Trichy, went all the way to signal after the railway station and took the right road which joins NH45. After the signal this hotel comes at the rest. Please let me know if there is a better way to reach this hotel.

Reached Chennai at 6:15PM
i guess you didnt take the new bypass. you would have taken the exit to trichy near the place were the new by pass road starts(i've marked this place in black in the map a couple of posts before) you should proceed in the new bypass a few more kms to take the next exit to trichy which comes right before the flyover(this comes right after a ROB). will try to come up with a few pics of this in a couple of days.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:26   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapath View Post
As per google map, it shows Tirumangalam,Rajapalayam,Sankarankovil and Madathara to reach Tivandrum and distance is about 704km from chennai where as when i specified to take virudhunagar, Thirulnelveli , Nagerkoil it shows 758km from chennai
Any reason that google map avoids Thirulnelveli and Nagerkoil.
For someone who is new to this stretch which is better. Thanks.

refer pic attached.
Normal route is via Madurai, Tirunelveli, Nagercoil, TVM.
Better check how the roads are in the new route (rajapalayam,madathara, vithura, nedumangad, tvm) recommended by Google??
Old 29th November 2010, 11:40   #70
Senior - BHPian

shapath, the route you have indicated in the GM is probaby the path taken by elephants in TN having a get-together with their cousins in the TN side. Did not know that GM also had a elephant path directory!

There is NO road as indicated by you from Rajapalayam to Vithura.

The only road is from Madurai via Srivilliputtur, Rajapalayam, Tenkasi, Schencottah, Aryankavu, Tenmala, Palode & Nedumangad.
Old 29th November 2010, 15:34   #71
BANNED

Thanks for the replies.

Respected HVK- you said "elephants in TN having a get-together with their cousins in the TN side".
I like elephants....but 'Happy to be a spectator rather than a 'party' member with their get-together

Last edited by shapath : 29th November 2010 at 15:35. Reason: small correction
Old 29th November 2010, 15:46   #72
BANNED

is google map reading team bhp & HV kumar

After reading Mr HVK route i 'again' checked Google map for Chennai to Trivandrum and this is their default route/map.

pic attached from Madurai to Trivandrum.
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai - Trivandrum : Route Queries-chennai-trivandraum-google-map02.jpg  

Old 29th November 2010, 16:11   #73
Senior - BHPian

shapath, that is also wrong. The default route has to be NH7-NH47 via Nagercoil.
Old 29th November 2010, 16:25   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapath View Post
After reading Mr HVK route i 'again' checked Google map for Chennai to Trivandrum and this is their default route/map.
Please add Nagercoil as an intermediate destination. What you get should be the best route.
Old 29th November 2010, 16:35   #75
Senior - BHPian

This route is a non starter.

Though in paper there exists a road which connects Kulasekaram to Kodayar the road does not exist. One can go only upto Manimuthar falls from Kallidaikurichi post which you have to take forest department's permission to go. It is a single lane ghat road. When I last went I was told I need to schedule atleast two and a half hours one way from Manimutharu to Kuthirai Vetti which is about 10 kms before Kodayar. Beyond Kudirai Vetti you need TNEB permission to reach Kodayar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks