Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2012, 00:12   #106

Need Help - Chennai-Trivandrum

I'm planning to travel by road from Chennai to Trivandrum during this Christmas vacation and would be taking the route Chennai-Trichy-Madurai-Tirunelveli-Trivandrum. I have gone through this route last year along with my friends. But this time around, I will be driving alone.

So planning to leave Chennai by weekend evening(4PM) and halt at Trichy over the night and leave towards Trivandrum next morning(5AM).

Any recommendation(s) on a decent/value-for-money hotels (on the way) that i can stay for the night in Trichy? With car parking preferred.

Apologize if these questions are already answered.

Regards.. Manesh..
Old 19th December 2012, 10:33   #107
BHPian

re: Chennai - Trivandrum : Route Queries

We normally stay at Sangam in Trichi. This is inside the city and you would face traffic. I have seen a couple of hotels on the highway - have had food there but never stayed there. The food was good and the places looked good too.
SafeDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 11:14   #108

Guru Hotel, opp. Trichy Main Bus Stand. Economical. Good rooms. Decent restaurant downstairs. Free breakfast. Lots of amenities close by - shops, petrol bunk, etc.
I stayed there last month with family. No probs.
And not very far from the Highway too, I think.
ognale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 12:46   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognale View Post
Guru Hotel, opp. Trichy Main Bus Stand. Economical. Good rooms. Decent restaurant downstairs. Free breakfast. Lots of amenities close by - shops, petrol bunk, etc.
I stayed there last month with family. No probs.
And not very far from the Highway too, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
We normally stay at Sangam in Trichi. This is inside the city and you would face traffic. I have seen a couple of hotels on the highway - have had food there but never stayed there. The food was good and the places looked good too.
Thank you very much ognale and SafeDrive.

I was looking for something on the way. But these details will help
Old 19th December 2012, 13:47   #110

Manesh, there's a Hotel Sona Mina on the Chennai - Trichy Highway, just adjacent to the Samayapuram Toll Plaza, about 20km before you hit Trichy. Decent reviews on Tripadvisor. Google for contact details. (That's what I did - since I was generally jobless today!) This might help avoiding the town altogether, as you seem to desire.
ognale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 15:49   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognale View Post
Manesh, there's a Hotel Sona Mina on the Chennai - Trichy Highway, just adjacent to the Samayapuram Toll Plaza, about 20km before you hit Trichy. Decent reviews on Tripadvisor. Google for contact details. (That's what I did - since I was generally jobless today!) This might help avoiding the town altogether, as you seem to desire.
Exactly what i was looking for.. Thanks a lot ognale..
Old 3rd February 2013, 16:20   #112
BHPian

I am planning to drive down to TVM from Chennai this Friday. Please suggest the best route with suggestions for ideal starting time and breaks. Thanks!
Old 3rd February 2013, 16:29   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-katz View Post
I am planning to drive down to TVM from Chennai this Friday. Please suggest the best route with suggestions for ideal starting time and breaks. Thanks!
Nothing better than NH45 to Trichy (via Tindivanam, Villupuram, Permabalur), then the Trichy-Viralimalai-Madurai road, followed by NH7 till before Nagercoil (via Tirunelveli), and then Nagercoil-TVM.

Roads are superb till NH7 goes off to KK 18 kms before Nagercoil. From there onwards, the road (NH47 from Nagercoil) is painfully slow with heavy traffic congestion & markets in all the small towns en route.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 12:53   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should be shooting for a mid-day or midnight crossing of Kavalkinaru to Trivandrum stretch, which would roughly translate to a 2-3am or noon-2pm ish start from Madras. The only point of concern with the latter will be crossing Madurai, which would take about 40 min if you cross at 7-8pm evening timings.

I did kind of odd timings Madras 640pm - Chengalpattu 940pm - Ulundurpet toll 1120 to 1140pm break - Madurai BP Ghar 300-330am break! - Tirumangalam 355am - Kavalkinaru 615am - Poovar 740am. I barely stepped above 100-110 the entire drive, roads are fairly empty south of Melmaruvathur.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 06:59   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Nothing better than NH45 to Trichy (via Tindivanam, Villupuram, Permabalur), then the Trichy-Viralimalai-Madurai road, followed by NH7 till before Nagercoil (via Tirunelveli), and then Nagercoil-TVM.

Roads are superb till NH7 goes off to KK 18 kms before Nagercoil. From there onwards, the road (NH47 from Nagercoil) is painfully slow with heavy traffic congestion & markets in all the small towns en route.
Any suggestions on good starting time in the morning?
Old 6th February 2013, 07:03   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
You should be shooting for a mid-day or midnight crossing of Kavalkinaru to Trivandrum stretch, which would roughly translate to a 2-3am or noon-2pm ish start from Madras. The only point of concern with the latter will be crossing Madurai, which would take about 40 min if you cross at 7-8pm evening timings.

I did kind of odd timings Madras 640pm - Chengalpattu 940pm - Ulundurpet toll 1120 to 1140pm break - Madurai BP Ghar 300-330am break! - Tirumangalam 355am - Kavalkinaru 615am - Poovar 740am. I barely stepped above 100-110 the entire drive, roads are fairly empty south of Melmaruvathur.
I prefer driving during the day, so I will aim for a early morning slot probably 5 am? Should be able to make it in 12 hrs with breaks - what do you say?
Old 6th February 2013, 07:46   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I prefer driving during the day, so I will aim for a early morning slot probably 5 am? Should be able to make it in 12 hrs with breaks - what do you say?
I think in that case you would be there right during the peak traffic.
May be you should start 2-3AM as Narayan mentioned. Its not that difficult. Before you know it would be morning you would crossing Ulundurpet.

At least on 4-lanes, it is much easier driving very early mornings. Traffic is much more streamlined.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 08:27   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions on good starting time in the morning?
Regardless of starting time, it will be bad in Nagercoil-TVM sector. If you leave too early from Madras, then you are likely to face horrendous times because you may end up doing that sector between 3-6 pm which is the worst time because of school, college & office traffic.
Old 6th February 2013, 22:38   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Regardless of starting time, it will be bad in Nagercoil-TVM sector. If you leave too early from Madras, then you are likely to face horrendous times because you may end up doing that sector between 3-6 pm which is the worst time because of school, college & office traffic.
Ok, let me put it this way. If I had to reach tvm by 7-8 pm, what time should i leave? Since I would be staying at a relative's place, I want to reach there early!
Old 6th February 2013, 22:57   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, let me put it this way. If I had to reach tvm by 7-8 pm, what time should i leave? Since I would be staying at a relative's place, I want to reach there early!
Start at 5-6 am perhaps so that you can reach TVM before 7 pm.
MDS-Trichy, 4 hrs
Trichy-Madurai, 2 hrs
Madurai-Nagercoil, 3 hrs
Nagercoil-TVM, 2 hrs
Remaining time, breaks + delays
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks