Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2008, 10:28   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
I am really hoping someone will respond. I have only 2 more days to go!!
Hi,

Am sure you would have searched the forum and this is one of the most traveled/discussed route. I have done this trip some months back but not after the rains. Upto Mysore the roads should be good. Mysore to Nanjungad is two lane road, but still wide and very good. Bandipur should be great as well. When I took that road, it was newly laid. I dont anticipate it would have deteriorated in few months. Beyond Bandipur it gets bad with potholes but nothing big to worry. You have a choice of going via Masinagudi or Gudalur after crossing Bandipur. Masinagudi route roads are 2 laned again, but good roads. Watch out for wildlife there. After that starts the steep drive. It should a pice of cake for a civic. I did that route in my Corolla and it was lot of fun. Be aware that you can take that route only during day time. Gudalur route is less steep, but takes longer, actually much longer and the roads were bad at that time. Going from Ooty to Pykara in that road itself was terrible.

I stayed at Monarch. In fact I stopped, stayed at Masinagudi for a day and then drove to Ooty. It was nice place for family. Since you have your own transport, feel free to explore a little outside also. Conoor also has some good stays.

Have fun and enjoy the stay.

Nainar
Old 1st October 2008, 11:05   #17
BANNED

ash - long time since I went to Ooty, but, I do not think there will be problems with the low GC. You can spend half a day doing the "toy" train - from Ooty to Wellington, may be and back on the same train.

You can also check out TTDC's Hotel Tamilnad simply because it has a good view overlooking the "lake" (have not stayed there - expect some bureaucracy which may be got to work using some grease) - dunno about the ones you mentioned. (We stated at Wifey's employer who has a holiday home, but would not recommend that, since I was not impressed).

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 1st October 2008 at 11:07.
Old 1st October 2008, 11:14   #18
BHPian

Thanks guys for the response. Blr to Mysore is great. I have done that route at least 15 times in the past one year. My friends make fun of me that I go to the zoo too often . In fact on my way back from ooty I am staying an extra day at mysore.
I am only worried about the my to ooty stretch. Looks like that also is great. Should be a fun drive. Been to ooty once in 2005 but that time the roads were bad hence the query.
Regarding hotel, I am staying at the Nahar Nilgiris in ooty itself. Paying approx 2600/night.
Thanks again for the responses.
Old 1st October 2008, 11:26   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I am only worried about the my to ooty stretch. Looks like that also is great. Should be a fun drive.
Mysore to Gundulpet is manageable. But in Gundulpet-Bandipur stretch, there is no road in first 15 Kms. I took 1 hour to cross this stretch. Then, good road upto Tamilnadu border. Roads in Tamilnadu are not in good condition.
Old 1st October 2008, 11:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I am only worried about the my to ooty stretch. Looks like that also is great. Should be a fun drive. Been to ooty once in 2005 but that time the roads were bad hence the query.
Regarding hotel, I am staying at the Nahar Nilgiris in ooty itself. Paying approx 2600/night.
Thanks again for the responses.
Bang-Mysore is a race track. But you can enjoy Mysore-Ooty stretch.
I preferred bad roads in Bandipur because I would anyway drive slow, and enjoy nature.

After Bandipur, once go into TN side, there are two roads to Ooty, longer one, which buses take, shorter one, which most cars take. This is lot more steep than the longer one and 36 harpin bends.
This stretch, you almost climb 5000 ft in around 20 kms !!!

Here is my trip details of May '06 trip (Too old !!!)
A passage through time: Road trip to Ooty
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Also do you think its ok to take the civic with the low ground clearance? I hope it doesnt cause any problems.
Hi ash,
Hope you did the trip without any trouble. I am planning to take my civic with 4 people this weekend to ooty from Bangalore. Since you have the experience, I would like to check with you if it is a good idea or not to do so.

Any others, who been to ooty from Bangalore in recent past - please comment if it is advisable or not [civic, poor ground clearance and five people onbaoard ]

Any, quick reply is highly appreciated.
Old 22nd November 2008, 00:24   #22
PVS
BHPian

Hi
I plan to spend the new year eve at Ooty with family and am in the process of finalizing travel plans to and fro Hyderabad - Ooty. I intend to arrive at Bangalore (10:30 am) by train from Hyderabad and from there, take either a bus or train to Mysore (I also plan to check out Auto Riders at Indiranagar - 080-23455555 for an Indica on a self drive basis), and check into a hotel for the night. Early next morning, we plan to start off to Ooty. A few questions:

1) Suggestions for a decent place to stay at Mysore.
2) Travel time from Mysore to Ooty and road conditions
3) Approximate Cab charges from Mysore to Ooty.
4) Approximate cab rates for a day's sightseeing at Ooty

Thanks in advance!
Regards
PVS
Old 22nd November 2008, 17:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Plenty of Mysore threads with details about good Hotels in them. I'll leave it to the Mysore experts.

Takes approximately 4 hrs to Ooty from Mysore. Either you can go through Masinagudi which involves a steep climb uphill or go through Gudalur which is the bus route. Longer route though. Road conditions were bad before, but should have been relaid.

Indica rates are typically Rs.5-6 per km based on how you bargain. Since you are travelling interstate there would be permit charges also.

In Ooty its like Rs. 800/- per day. Again it all depends on how you bargain.
Old 22nd November 2008, 17:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

1 month before I travelled there, Mysore - Masinagudi - Ooty took 3.5 hours while Ooty - Gudalur - Mysore took around 4 hours. Good roads all the way except 10km bad stretch around Gundlupet.

TamilNadu side roads are very smooth and well maintained, Karnataka side poor roads :(

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 24th November 2008, 15:55   #25
PVS
BHPian

Thanks Senthil & Ravi for your inputs; Its time I started brushing up my bargaining skills!
Old 24th November 2008, 16:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I personally stayed a couple of times in tthe S N Tourist Home (plus a separate Annexe) which is an ordinary but decent hotel near the bus stand (but please check wheher it was also demolished recently).
Me too stayed at SN Tourist Home during our bike trip to Munnar in Jan '97. Oh man! that was really long ago ...

Regards
Rex
Old 24th November 2008, 16:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Me too stayed at SN Tourist Home during our bike trip to Munnar in Jan '97. Oh man! that was really long ago ...

Regards
Rex
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar
I personally stayed a couple of times in tthe S N Tourist Home (plus a separate Annexe) which is an ordinary but decent hotel near the bus stand (but please check wheher it was also demolished recently).
Ok, I stayed near S.N during my last stay in Munnar. It was during 1st week of Oct 2008. Till I left, it was standing straight
Old 26th November 2008, 15:45   #28
BANNED

Are there any time restrictions to drive through the Chinnar route? i.e. from Udumalaipettai to Munnar?
Old 13th January 2009, 18:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

Am planning to go to Munnar on the Jan 26th weekend. Any suggestions on the roads ?? From what i gathered, Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Bhavani - Dharmapuram - Munnar is the best route.
Old 13th January 2009, 19:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Am planning to go to Munnar on the Jan 26th weekend. Any suggestions on the roads ?? From what i gathered, Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Bhavani - Dharmapuram - Munnar is the best route.
Yes, that's the best route. from dharapuram (not Dharmapuram), you have to go towards udumalapet. you can check the road conditions till dharapuram in my Bangalore-Kodai post done in Dec end, so should be pretty same.

Other than the NH47 between Bhavani and Perundurai, with 4 laning work and heavy truck trafiic other portions should be fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks