Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2009, 22:46   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
I would suggest go up in Masinagudi route and come back via Gudalur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
While climbing take Masinagudi route while coming back take via Gudalur route from Ooty.
Great men think alike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Masinagudi route needs lot of 1st and 2nd gear in most of the hair pin curve.
My Zen took it in 2nd and 3rd, Safari in 1st and 2nd.
Old 13th February 2009, 08:19   #47
Senior - BHPian

But I was surprised to see your Carb Zen took 3rd gear also for the climb. If I remember I couldnot engage 3rd during the climb (offcourse I was loaded to the brim) in my Alto. Let me check next time if I go with 2 people on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy
As Jammy suggested, take the Masinagudi route while going and come down via Gudalur route. By doing this you can cover both the scenic routes plus Pykara lake (via Gudalur side).
Arindam, you forgot to add another great man !!

Last edited by akroy : 13th February 2009 at 08:21.
Old 13th February 2009, 15:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

Well, I guess I got no choice now but to listen to the great men ! But seriously guys, tell me if it is advisable to take the Omni up the Masinigudi route. A small catch 22 situation here - if the Omni is fully loaded, it will handle much better with a lower centre of gravity, flip side being the small engine will be hard pressed to make the climb. On the other hand, travelling light (which I will be doing with just two adults and a kid with some light luggage) will cause it to be more top heavy but lesser load on the engine for an easier climb. But will it be stable enough ?
Old 13th February 2009, 17:14   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
But I was surprised to see your Carb Zen took 3rd gear also for the climb. If I remember I couldnot engage 3rd during the climb (offcourse I was loaded to the brim) in my Alto. Let me check next time if I go with 2 people on board.
I was travelling alone on that occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Arindam, you forgot to add another great man !!
Apologies! Apologies!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Well, I guess I got no choice now but to listen to the great men ! But seriously guys, tell me if it is advisable to take the Omni up the Masinigudi route. A small catch 22 situation here - if the Omni is fully loaded, it will handle much better with a lower centre of gravity, flip side being the small engine will be hard pressed to make the climb. On the other hand, travelling light (which I will be doing with just two adults and a kid with some light luggage) will cause it to be more top heavy but lesser load on the engine for an easier climb. But will it be stable enough ?
It will be, it is not as problematic as it is sounding here.
Old 13th February 2009, 18:15   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
After seeing Omni's climbing in the Himalayas(Sikkim actually) I don't have doubt that why your omni won't be able to do it. Ofcourse those were kind of experienced hill drivers but still I think you also should be able to pull it off.
And BTW, I still believe that Gudalur route is much more scenic then Masinagudi road. I don't think that it's anywhere similar, again a personal choice though. I've done both the routes many times and if the roads are in good shape I would prefer Gudalur route anyday just for the scenery.
Old 5th March 2009, 14:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

After going through all your comments, finally decided to go to Ooty via Masinigudi and come back via Gudulur. However, since only three of us were travelling, decided to take the Esteem instead of the Omni.

Left Bangalore at around 12 noon on 28.02.09 and reached Srirangapatna around 2:15pm. Had lunch at Young Island resorts and then proceeded to Mysore. Met up with some family friends there and decided to make the night halt at Mysore itself. Left for Ooty the next morning at 10:30am and reached Ooty through Masinagudi at 1:30am. There was a bad patch of road between Gundlupet and Bandipur but otherwise, roads were good. Kalghatti road was quite steep and the Esteem, even though not fully loaded and without AC, had to do the climb mostly in 1st and 2nd gears. Guess this is also due to the fact that the older carburrettor Esteems had very high gearing. Had booked into Sterling Fern Hill and the resort facilities and services were good. Started back for Bangalore at 10:30am on 03.03.2009 and this time came down via Gudalur. Roads have been recently tarred and are in excellent condition. However, the last stretch, around 10kms before Gudalur, trench work is being carried out which meant that the width of the road was reduced to almost half, so one has to drive carefully. Reached Mysore at around 2:30pm after a short halt at Nanjangud to meet up with some family friends, had thali meals at Dasaprakash and got back to Bangalore around 5:45pm. Bangalore Mysore road as always is superb, however, this time round, encountered a lot more speed breakers than the last time I had been on the road which was about two months ago. Covered around 750kms on the round trip and there was not even a slight hiccup from the Esteem. Mileage was around 16kmpl for the trip and most of it was done without AC.

And by the way, I did see a good many Omni's doing the Masinigudi climb quite easily, so I guess my fears were unfounded after all !
Old 16th November 2009, 22:48   #52
BHPian

Hi Sorry to bump an old thread.

Anyone has been to Ooty recently? How is the road condition? I am planning to drive to Ooty on 28th Nov. Any information would be helpful.
Old 17th November 2009, 11:05   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Hi Sorry to bump an old thread.

Anyone has been to Ooty recently? How is the road condition? I am planning to drive to Ooty on 28th Nov. Any information would be helpful.
Had gone three months back (read before Monsoon). Hence you may not gain much from my post. But to add: Nanjangud to Gudlupet road has been recently tarred and hence very nice to drive. Gudlupet to Bandipur is the usual potholes, with roads available in some places . Bandipur onwards the road is nice.
Old 22nd November 2009, 12:22   #54
BHPian

Hi All,

We'll be visiting Ooty, Kodaikanal and Munnar in June 2010. Can anyone suggest how the weather conditions, tourist rush, accommodation problems and road conditions, etc are likely to be during June 10-18? Worried about the monsoon! will it be a spoilsport at that time?

PS. Cheers Guys! I completed my 1st half century on T-BHP. Enjoying the forum thoroughly.
Thanks all T-BHPians for wonderful and useful sharing of experiences and advises.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 22nd November 2009 at 12:27.
Old 22nd November 2009, 22:03   #55
BHPian

Had been to ooty 2weeks ago. The road is good except the Gundlupet - Bandipur stretch. The Tamil nadu side of the route is just fantastic.
Old 23rd November 2009, 00:53   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Hi All,

We'll be visiting Ooty, Kodaikanal and Munnar in June 2010. Can anyone suggest how the weather conditions, tourist rush, accommodation problems and road conditions, etc are likely to be during June 10-18? Worried about the monsoon! will it be a spoilsport at that time?

PS. Cheers Guys! I completed my 1st half century on T-BHP. Enjoying the forum thoroughly.
Thanks all T-BHPians for wonderful and useful sharing of experiences and advises.
June-August is traditionally the monsoon seasons in Kerala.Kodai wouldnt have rains around that time,but what with all the weather patterns going crazy now,nothing is predictable.But you would get rains in Kerala around that time.No tourist rush during that time.Its offseason in Kerala.Accomodation yes please make sure you book early around Jan./Feb to make sure you get the good & better places to stay.All the places mentioned have hotels catering to all kinds of budgets so depending on your budget,select a place to stay.Roads are generally good in all these place.Wouldnt be a major source of concern for you.Are you driving down from LKO?
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:29   #57
Team-BHP Support

I would say the best time is Dec-Feb. Plan for far end of Feb. If you can manage that I think that would be the most ideal time.

I guess I am re-stating the already stated.
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:38   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Had been to ooty 2weeks ago. The road is good except the Gundlupet - Bandipur stretch. The Tamil nadu side of the route is just fantastic.
Princezahed when I done this stretch last time in September- 09 last weak , the Gundlupet – Bandipur work is in progress but in slow process. I thought they may complete with in 2 or 3 months. By the way do you find any improvements @ this road constructions site ?
Old 30th November 2009, 12:54   #59
BHPian

Thanks ranjit.
Yes, we are planning a drive to down south from Lucknow in coming summer vacations. It'll be long but adventurous trip. Yes, it'll be monsoon time there, but have no option as it needs more then 3 weeks. Winters could have been the best time, but not possible bec. of kid's school. The planning is on and once finalized will share with T-BHPians for suggestions.
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:09   #60
BHPian

Re: Bangalore-Ooty-Munnar route and other information

Hi, I will be driving down to Ooty in Dec around the 15th. Will be 2 couples in the Palio MJD.

Can anyone give me an update on the current condition of road between Mysore and Ooty. Also, does the usual Blr-Mysore-Ooty route make sense or is it better to go via Kanakpura-Chamrajnagar-Ooty. Will all be day driving. My recent experience with traffic on Blr-Mysore road was horrendous to say the least.

Further, have my company holiday home in Ooty situated next to Rohini Cinema. Anyone got an idea where is Rohini Cinema? Could not find it on Google maps.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks