Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2008, 12:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ten Days in Thailand. What to do/see/go?

Hi Guys

I'll be in Thailand for ten days in June, landing in Bangkok on 7th. Any suggestions regarding where to go? what to do?

Any medium range hotels recommended?

Or if you can get recommend a good travel agent who can make the arrangements, it would be awesome.

I searched the forum but all i could come across were questions like where to buy car accessories or pics of cars spotted.

Thanks in advance!
Amitoj
Old 13th May 2008, 12:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Looks like someone is going to have all the fun in Thailand . Have a great trip and i think the best person is "SoulJah" who i remember might give you some pointers. Thats my hunch, cant assure you though.
Old 13th May 2008, 12:25   #3
BHPian

Hey Amit, If I recollect clearly. Yeti aka Sam volunteered to help anyone with all the info needed when going to Thailand. Get in touch with him, you'll probably get tips from him which will be really hard to refuse. Hehehehehehe.
If not Souljah, can always help you.

Have fun and ALWAYS use protection.

Cheers
MP
Old 13th May 2008, 12:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Amitoj, I will be in Thailand too during that time.

I dont like spending too much time in Bangkok unless its shopping. So if your nature oriented go North to Kanchanaburi (River Kwai) or Chang Mai Its a smaller more chilled out version of BKK.

I never use Agents so I cant guide you there. BLR-BKK can be had for about 18700/- INR during June.

I suggest you register for a Bangkok day tour once your there. See the Palace, Grand Wat, Buddha and take a cruise down the Chao Praya.

Hotels :
Amari Boulevard - 3500 THB
Ambassador - 2000 THB
Grand Mercure Park Avenue - 2500THB
Le Fenix - 2000THB
Manhattan - 1800THB

These are the one's I can remember and I know people who have been satisfied for the price. All are in the Sukhumvit area which is the "fun" zone. The BTS(sky train) is all you need to get from your hotel to the shopping malls.

If your travelling single then I can suggest some cheaper places too
Old 13th May 2008, 13:32   #5
BHPian

I had stayed in Unico Leela in Sukhumvit area. Though not posh (its 3*), its conveniently located and reasonably priced. Most hotels will can arrange a local tour of the places.

Spend some time near Wat Arun in the evening at sunset (be on the opposite side of the temple/river to get a good view of river, Wat Arun and the sun setting behind it.

As s0uljah said, if you are alone or not with family there are more cheaper (fun ? ) options. Keep 2-3 days for BKK and the rest can be spent in other places (Chang mai/ Pattaya/Phuket?).

There must be a lot of Thai travel experts here, you can wait for their valuable inputs.
Old 13th May 2008, 13:40   #6
BHPian

If you are travelling alone best place to go is Kauson road.Most of the back packers take room in that area.Sawasdee group of hotels they are so many like sawasdee inn ,sawasee bangkok inn are really cheap.Rates starts from 500Bhatt.Dont think those hotels are bad they are like our above average hotels.Check online you get nice deals.
Old 13th May 2008, 13:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Oh no no let me clarify!
I'm going with my wife, so please no winkings and no grinnings!!
Although it doesnt mean that i'd like to stick to the touristy spots either. My wife and I both like to take the road less travelled... stay off the beaten path.
So please keep the suggestions flowing in.
S0uljah, I've already booked the return flight tickets to Bangkok. Its after i land in Bangkok that i dont have a clue about.
Say... is it possible to rent a car there and drive around?
Old 13th May 2008, 13:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you are going to Thailand, then I suggest you should go to Phuket. There's a whole lot of stuff that you can do in Phuket. All sorts of seaside activities. Scuba, snorkelling, island hopping, reef diving, a visit to James Bond rock etc.
Old 13th May 2008, 14:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Would request members to post pix of things they SEE
Old 13th May 2008, 14:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Would request members to post pix of things they SEE
Pictures may include birds, petals, flowers. PMing links to interested members is also allowed and welcome cheers:
Old 13th May 2008, 14:17   #11
BHPian

If in bangkok there are many good hotels for different price ranges, when i was there in March, i stayed at Narai Hotel - Silom Road, its the business center also and you would find many hotels in that area. It also has good restaurants and malls within close radius. The places you can go are.

Phuket - By road it takes not more than 3 hrs.

Within the city there are many malls to choose from (Paragon, City etc), then there is floating market which starts at 6:00 am, you can ask a travel agent to arrange for the transport though it will be expensive, can go there by hiring a taxi aswell.
Then you have the weekend market, as the name suggests its only on weekends and you can pick many things from here from clothes (jeans, tshirts, kurtas) to home decoratives, its quiet a good market.
You can also visit the different buddha temples in bangkok including the recling buddha, marble buddha, golden buddha.
There is a also an option of choosing the river view to see these temples i,e a huge boat will take you along the river side view of these temples and palaces in the eveneing including serving you with dinner, quiet a good experience.
I would suggest buy a map which you would get at any book shop for 90 baths. it has all the information about the various places to visit, list of atms, restaurants, pubs, hotels etc...If you need more info let me know...

cheers.

Last edited by invincible7 : 13th May 2008 at 14:19.
Old 13th May 2008, 14:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Amitoj

All you need to do is send The Yeti a link to this thread.

Then you will have a YetiGuide(TM) to Thailand.
Old 13th May 2008, 14:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Don't forget to visit the night market at Patpong (the red light district) - some real good bargains on watches (fakes, of course but of every conceivable brand)
Old 13th May 2008, 15:12   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Aahhhh Thanks for calling me here Steer.

Amitoj, I do know more than the average bear about thailand.

What are you going for? Holiday or work? Will you be alone, with friends or family? I can help you with advice on anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Then you will have a YetiGuide(TM) to Thailand.
I think that is a stonking idea and I will write a very explicit guide to enjoying thailand. But a lot of it is not suitable for Team-BHP. I guess this will go into my list of ideas for the future YetiLife guides.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th May 2008 at 15:14.
Old 13th May 2008, 15:26   #15
BHPian

@amitoj - the places that you need to see in Thailand are
Bangkok - the palace, the grand temple, wild life sanctuary,Noong Nooch Village, Baiyoke Sky Observatory,Chaoproya River cruise, Floating market
Pattaya(this is about 3 hours by road) - mini siam, coral island, Pattaya tower, Alkazar Show, Walking street
Phuket (this is about 3 hours by FLIGHT)- quite a few places in Phuket, mostly the beach...beautiful...

If you want to take the less road travelled, then i suggest you go to the northen part of Thailand.

As far as I know there are lot of travel agents in bangalore who do such a trip, you can go and have a chat with them.
If you find limited success with them, PM me and I shall have a chat with my travel agent.

Last edited by gods-envy : 13th May 2008 at 15:29. Reason: Added travel agents details

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks