Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2021, 08:29   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai - Thanjavur : Route Queries

NH45 has taken a hit on Tambaram-Chengalpattu. Perambalur-Ariyalur-Thiruvayaru was good wide 2-lane. The region got hammered last week and today, so things can change. From Thiruvayaru to Thanjavur/Kumbakonam is OKish narrow roads.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 09:44   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
I am planning to drive to Thanjavur via Perambalur - Ariyalur. Do anyhow have the latest information about the road condition?
During these rainy season, I would stick to Chennai-Trichy-Thanjavur. I have travelled in other routes as well. This route though circuitous coupled with some traffic in Trichy outskirts will be quicker most times.

Last edited by ampere : 26th November 2021 at 10:52. Reason: fixed quote tag
CArspeed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 15:15   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
NH45 has taken a hit on Tambaram-Chengalpattu. Perambalur-Ariyalur-Thiruvayaru was good wide 2-lane. The region got hammered last week and today, so things can change. From Thiruvayaru to Thanjavur/Kumbakonam is OKish narrow roads.
+1

Quote:
I am planning to drive to Thanjavur via Perambalur - Ariyalur. Do anyhow have the latest information about the road condition?

Note: I did Trichy - Thiruvanaikovil - Kallanai - Thiruvaiyaru (South Bank Road) in the month of December 2020 (1 year ago) and it was good.
Last Dec 2020, I drove from Trichy-Perambalur-Ariyalur-Thiruvaiyaru-Tanjore and roads were good all throughout. It was newly laid, so i don't expect too much damage, although due to enormous rains, its difficult to say.

if you need full 4L, go via Trichy-Tanjore. If you are okay to gamble and take 2L roads, you can go via Perambalur-Ariyalur route.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 14:34   #124
BHPian

Quote:

Note: I did Trichy - Thiruvanaikovil - Kallanai - Thiruvaiyaru (South Bank Road) in the month of December 2020 (1 year ago) and it was good.
I did Mannargudi - Thanjavur - ariyalur - Perambalur 2 weeks back. Road conditions are good. No detoriation.
venki.bala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 08:54   #125
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
+1
if you need full 4L, go via Trichy-Tanjore. If you are okay to gamble and take 2L roads, you can go via Perambalur-Ariyalur route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
I did Mannargudi - Thanjavur - ariyalur - Perambalur 2 weeks back. Road conditions are good. No detoriation.
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArspeed View Post
During these rainy season, I would stick to Chennai-Trichy-Thanjavur. I have travelled in other routes as well.
Updates after the trip:

I did Chennai - ECR-Cuddalore-Chidambaram-Mayiladuthurai-Kumbakonam(Thirunageswaram)-Needamangalam-Mannargudi-Thanjavur-Ariyalur-Perambalur-Chennai.

ECR (Avoid Pondy-Cuddalore ) and Delta Zone roads have become very bad and certainly affects the schedule.

On the contrary Mannargudi - Thanjavur (a few broken pieces of the pavement) & Ariyalur - Perambalur is good (widening work is happening on the stretch).

Even the NH45 has been affected and have raised a complaint with NHAI personnel. They said. "orders have been received to carry out the patch work".
RGK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 08:18   #126
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I am planning to do Chennai - Ulundurpet - Virudhachalam - Jayakondam - Kumbakonam ( Visit a couple of places ) and head to Thanjavur for night stay.

- How is the route between Ulundurpet and Kumbakonam ??
- Is this doable before dusk, Say I leave Chennai by 6 AM on 22nd ( Looong weekend traffic )

thanks in advance !
Old 18th October 2022, 08:59   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Is this doable before dusk, Say I leave Chennai by 6 AM on 22nd ( Looong weekend traffic )
6 am on Diwali long weekend Saturday is not a good day to travel for leisure. If you want to escape traffic, start late night. This way overnight bus traffic would have moved and private car traffic on Saturday morning would start.

There is no escaping crowds at the destination.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 09:06   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
I am planning to do Chennai - Ulundurpet - Virudhachalam - Jayakondam - Kumbakonam ( Visit a couple of places ) and head to Thanjavur for night stay.
Change to Ulundurpet-Veppur-Vridhchalam bypass - Jayamkondam-KMU.

Take the T-Palur instead of Anaikarai. Lots of diversions on 45C thanks to 4-lane work.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 16:51   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Change to Ulundurpet-Veppur-Vridhchalam bypass - Jayamkondam-KMU.

Take the T-Palur instead of Anaikarai. Lots of diversions on 45C thanks to 4-lane work.
The speed breakers on the T.Palur stretch are a serious pain though. They seem to crop once every 200 mts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks