Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2014, 20:32   #106
BHPian

re: Chennai - Thanjavur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think for Tanjore, nothing beats the 4-lane access all the way via Trichy. Some traffic congestion at BHEL signal. Once past the NIT campus, its smooth all the way.
True, at the last minute near vikravandi toll, we changed our plans to go to chidambaram and so went through panruti.
Old 18th August 2014, 21:22   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
True, at the last minute near vikravandi toll, we changed our plans to go to chidambaram and so went through panruti.
For that you could have taken Ulundurpet-Vriddachalam-Bhuvanagiri-Chidambaram.

You took Panruti route till Sethiathope and did Bhuvanagiri-Chidambaram?
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 15:16   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
For that you could have taken Ulundurpet-Vriddachalam-Bhuvanagiri-Chidambaram.

You took Panruti route till Sethiathope and did Bhuvanagiri-Chidambaram?
Correct. It was a leisure unplanned trip to kill the day, so, we wanted to go through SH but never knew it would become a tiring journey.
klassics45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 13:43   #109
BHPian

Friends,
Just thought of this aspect considering the sky high toll fees collected in this route (Almost in all the NHs in our country). Is there a way to reach Thanjavur from Chennai with no/minimum no. of toll plazas? without compromising on the travel time and road quality?
I do frequent trips to Thanjavur and find the NH45 route a breeze. But the toll prices are really annoying these days.
Old 17th June 2018, 22:48   #110
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up an old thread.

Can someone comment on the road conditions from Chennai to Madurai via Chidambaram -->Thanjavur-->Madurai. And between Madurai and Bangalore.

thanks
Srinivas
Old 18th June 2018, 01:43   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Can someone comment on the road conditions from Chennai to Madurai via Chidambaram -->Thanjavur-->Madurai.
Have not been on this road for quite some time now. Last I remember Chidambaram-Vaitheeswaran Kovil-Mayavaram was very decent. But then traffic takes over towards Kumbakonam all the way to Tanjore. Once on Tanjore bypass its smooth till Trichy and there on its the usual 4-lane to Madurai.

Quote:
And between Madurai and Bangalore.
This is the standard 4-lane. Good roads all the way.
Old 18th June 2018, 10:39   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Chennai to Madurai via Chidambaram -->Thanjavur-->Madurai. And between Madurai and Bangalore.
For Madras-Chidambaram, this would be my route choice. NOTE: The Google Maps link is in the reverse direction.

Basically you have to take NH45 aka GST well past Villupuram - MD 736 - SH9 - Panruti bypass and join Panruti Neyveli Road for 12 km - MDR 199 - MDR 200 and joins ECR 30 km south of Cuddalore. From here Chidambaram is about 30 mins south. This avoids all traffic filled sections of ECR, bad Bhuvanagiri-Chidambaram road and the 2-lane sections here are little bit fast as well (you can maintain 60-80 throughout). There's only a 1/2 km stretch at Kullanchavadi village where you have to deal with village traffic/market.

For Chidambaram-Thanjavur there isn't much choice. Take Sirakazhi-Vaitheeswaran Koil-Mayavaram-Kumbakonam-Thanjavur. Don't even think about the Bhuvanagiri-Sethiathope route which GMaps suggests.

Thanjavur-Madurai you have 2 choices.

1. Thanjavur-Trichy-Madurai which is fully 4-lane.
2. Thanjavur-Pudukottai-Tirumayam-Tirupattur-Melur-Madurai. This one gives you an opportunity to see few temples like Tirumayam, Pillayarpatti if it interests you.

Madurai-Bangalore is a no brainer. Madurai city traffic can be a pain in the rear, so plan your stay and entry times accordingly. For your plan you'll have to enter and leave from 2 ends of the town and the ring road that bypasses town is being 4-laned.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 16:29   #113
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Thanjavur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

For Chidambaram-Thanjavur there isn't much choice. Take Sirakazhi-Vaitheeswaran Koil-Mayavaram-Kumbakonam-Thanjavur. Don't even think about the Bhuvanagiri-Sethiathope route which GMaps suggests.

Narayanan why not take chidambaram - Gangai konda cholapuram - Udayar palayam - Paluvur - Thiruvaiyaru - Tanjore. Recently somewhere i saw an update that Paluvur - ariyalur road is in great condition.

Also why not this road. he avoids the entire traffic between Chidambaram and Swamimalai... also as a bonus he gets to travel through the road which Ponniyin Selvan might have used.......

https://goo.gl/maps/ZpES2cJVf1x

Last edited by venki.bala : 19th June 2018 at 16:40. Reason: found a better road than i mentioned earlier.. sorry wont repeat
Old 18th January 2020, 19:06   #114
BHPian

Anyone, Please update on the conditions of the below roads

1. Srirangam - Kallanai - Thiruvaiyaru
2. Thiruvaiyaru - Tanjavur

I went through these roads, some 4 to 5 years back, was full of traffic and the surface also not good with many potholes.

Need the recent updates

Last edited by ramanan.skr : 18th January 2020 at 19:22.
Old 18th January 2020, 19:45   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
Anyone, Please update on the conditions of the below roads

I went through these roads, some 4 to 5 years back, was full of traffic and the surface also not good with many potholes.

Need the recent updates
I went three months back and it was good. Only bottle neck was in Kallanai bridge where we have to wait else needs to reverse all the way back
vennarbank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 06:44   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
I went three months back and it was good. Only bottle neck was in Kallanai bridge where we have to wait else needs to reverse all the way back
Have not heard much on the forum about these stretches. The only updates I have read more are around Kumbakonam, but not these interiors. Would be good to hear from others.
Old 20th January 2020, 10:09   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Have not heard much on the forum about these stretches. The only updates I have read more are around Kumbakonam, but not these interiors. Would be good to hear from others.
This is a very scenic lane with trees on both the sides of the road. One can plan for a break in Kallanai and or thiruvaiyaru. Do not miss buying the sweet Asoka.
vennarbank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 12:52   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Two of the not-so-much discussed routes between Trichy and Tanjore includes
1. Trichy - Srirangam - Lalgudi - Anbil - Thiruvaiyaru - Tanjore
2a. Trichy - Srirangam - Kallanai - Thiruvaiyaru(Thru' South Bank Road) - Tanjore
2b. Trichy - Srirangam - Kallanai - Thiruvaiyaru(Thru' North Bank road) - Tanjore

A relatively better 4 Lane gives us a fair excuse from traveling on these beautiful fun-filled 2 lane roads, with huge trees on both sides and very close to the flowing river in the monsoon. Nevertheless, some parts are very poorly maintained and would test our patience.

A good reason for people choosing to take these stretches, is the presence of lot of Shiva temples along the banks of Cauvery including the notable ones like Saptha Sthana temples around Tiruvaiyaru.

Recently, a part of the 1st route from Srirangam to Lalgudi is getting ready for 4 laning. Not sure if it was started.
ramanan.skr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 16:18   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Two of the not-so-much discussed routes between Trichy and Tanjore includes
1. Trichy - Srirangam - Lalgudi - Anbil - Thiruvaiyaru - Tanjore
2a. Trichy - Srirangam - Kallanai - Thiruvaiyaru(Thru' South Bank Road) - Tanjore
2b. Trichy - Srirangam - Kallanai - Thiruvaiyaru(Thru' North Bank road) - Tanjore
This section needs to be explored. By and large we look at more on the Tanjore/Kumbakonam side. But this part is left out. Or its usually explored in minored when we look places closer to Tanjore.

Need a separate trip on this part alone! Good idea for another road trip!
Old 25th November 2021, 13:51   #120
RGK
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to drive to Thanjavur via Perambalur - Ariyalur. Do anyhow have the latest information about the road condition?

Note: I did Trichy - Thiruvanaikovil - Kallanai - Thiruvaiyaru (South Bank Road) in the month of December 2020 (1 year ago) and it was good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks