Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2012, 15:59   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Chennai - Thanjavur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
While going from Madras towards Trichy, IMMEDIATELY AFTER crossing the two Cauvery bridges, you'll reach a major junction - turn left at that point to go to Thanjavur.

I think there is a bridge at that junction now, so you'll have to take the side road, without going over the bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp View Post
I hope you know the Paal Pannai (Milk Farm) Junction. That's where you have to take left. If you havent been recently after they built the flyover, you will find it difficult as the place is completely changed.

Just watch for the Thanjavur sign, but don't take the left immediately, I think the board it kept too early, you need to go little and take the left service road.

You will be amazed how good the road between Trichy and Thanjavur, it is similar to NH45 with 4 lanes on each side. You can reach Thanjavur pretty quickly, you have to pay toll though
Did the trip. In NH45, the service lane towards Thanjavur starts just near Arasu Hyundai. It's a prominent landmark and cannot be missed.

The Trichy-Thanjavur highway is awesome!

Stayed at PL.A Residency near the Railway Station and it was pretty good in cleanliness, space and comfort. At 1.8K for a double A/C it isn't VFM but all hotels seem to charge similar money.

As with most hotels in TN their solar water system is screwed. First it was, "Sir open the tap and waste 1 bucket of water, then you'll get hot water". Didn't work. "Sir open the tap and waste 4 buckets of water, then you'll get hot water". What the hell? If we waste water at this rate, then why won't we beg to other states for water?
Attached Images

kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 18:07   #92
BHPian

How about the road conditions from Perambalur - Ariyalur - Thiruvaiyaru - Tanjore? Heard the road is relaid now and is in good condition. If some one travelled, pl. update on this.
ramanan.skr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 05:57   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
How about the road conditions from Perambalur - Ariyalur - Thiruvaiyaru - Tanjore? Heard the road is relaid now and is in good condition. If some one travelled, pl. update on this.
Is this news true? If so it is a wonderful news. I had travelled on this road from the other side Jayamkondan - thiruvaiyaru - tanjore. Horrible was the state. If they had relaid it is good alternative and short as well.
Old 27th February 2012, 08:53   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haven't travelled, but heard the stretch has been relaid very recently.
Old 27th February 2012, 11:27   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the road is relaid, then its a good news. I personally like this route. But, the biggest pain in this section is the traffic between Thiruvaiyaru and Tanjore. Its a pain to cross this section during day time.
Old 31st December 2012, 17:06   #96
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Came back to Chennai from Kumbakonam via Thanjavur on Sunday - 30th Dec'12. Had two minds whether to take Thanjavur-Trichy Bye pass or Thanjavur - Thiruvaiyaru - Ariyalur - Perambalur route.

This thread and other websites have had only old information and bit confused.

Everyone in my family was interested to see the paddy fields between Thanjavur - Thiruvaiyaru, I also wanted to do a active driving rather than monotonous highway stuff and surprisingly the road was good. It was smooth till Pazhuvur and after that the road was damaged due to heavy weight vehicles (mostly sand lorries). The blacktop was uneven and slopping down from centre to both ends. Very few poth holes and can be easily negotiated. Around 10 km it was bad.
Once you hit the Ariyallur bye pass the road was smooth and next 30km was a breeze except the last 5 km stretch from Peralai.

- Curves and Lorry traffic slows down your time.
- Need to cross Thiruvaiyaru town and may cause delay due to parking of vehicles on the main road
- 40kms less
- Two toll charges can be saved

Saw a diversion after Pallayakudi to Veppur and hope this can be explored.

Started at 3.30 PM from Medical college road, Thanjavur and reached T Nagar exactly at 9.30 PM. Stopped for two 10 minute breaks and usual traffic jams after Guduvanchery.

Chennai-Trichy Bye pass- Milk Farm- Thanajavur is end to end breeze drive whereas Ariyalur - Thirvaiyaru can be taken for scenic drive barring around 15kms of bad road condition.

Expect more thread updates on this after the Pongal festive season.

Last edited by RGK : 31st December 2012 at 17:20.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 10:40   #97
Team-BHP Support

What is the state of Trichy-Kallanai-Thiruvaiyaru SH22? In spite of the 4-lane for Tanjore-Trichy, is it still worth coming all the way back to Tanjore? Earlier it did make sense when 4-lane being constructed. How about it today?
Old 2nd March 2014, 11:54   #98
BHPian

4 lane is the better option now. You will have some traffic until BHEL, after that it is a breeze. No idea about the current state of SH22, it has been more than year since I have been on that route.
Old 2nd March 2014, 19:09   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
4 lane is the better option now. You will have some traffic until BHEL, after that it is a breeze. No idea about the current state of SH22, it has been more than year since I have been on that route.
I am still not convinced on the 4-lane. Thats because one then also needs to go through Tanjore or the bypass. And that can eat quite some time. And on top its easily 30km more. So instead if the Kallanai SH is good, its still worth it.
Old 10th July 2014, 11:43   #100

Roadwise, SH22 is motorable for most part. There are a couple of pitfalls though, depending on the season. During September time frame, when I traveled, the entire stretch from almost Thiruvaiyar till Trichy was hogged with people walking on the road (Samayapuram Temple). You almost get only one lane most of the time and with people walking, sitting and sleeping on the road, you cant drive peacefully there even if you drive slow. Other problem is the sand laden lorry's in the way. It can get heavy sometimes.
Old 10th July 2014, 12:35   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alagusankar View Post
Roadwise, SH22 is motorable for most part. There are a couple of pitfalls though, depending on the season. During September time frame, when I traveled, the entire stretch from almost Thiruvaiyar till Trichy was hogged with people walking on the road (Samayapuram Temple). You almost get only one lane most of the time and with people walking, sitting and sleeping on the road, you cant drive peacefully there even if you drive slow. Other problem is the sand laden lorry's in the way. It can get heavy sometimes.
I later realized the 4-lane is way better. Crossing Thiruvaiyaru is in itself a big pain. Small roads and big trucks impede movement in a big way. Its much easier to drive on the 4-lane. Much less hassle.
Old 10th July 2014, 14:11   #102
Senior - BHPian

Last weekend I went to Thanjavur from Trichy.
From Trichy bypass upto Bhel mild traffic easily manageble.
One toll along the four lane highway upto Thanjavur.
The roads within Thanjavur was also good.
Lot of eating options with car parking near the new bus stand.
Old 11th July 2014, 01:56   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Last weekend I went to Thanjavur from Trichy.
From Trichy bypass upto Bhel mild traffic easily manageble.
One toll along the four lane highway upto Thanjavur.
The roads within Thanjavur was also good.
Lot of eating options with car parking near the new bus stand.
Traffic is easy. It becomes really chaotic in the evening hours. Mostly in and around 6-7PM. I once passed through that stretch at that hour. Took more than half an hour to cross NIT from GST signal. Tanjore has amazing amount of hotels and messes.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 19:55   #104
BHPian

Anyone driving through Panruti-neyveli route to tanjore, please beware of potholes. There are lot many now and even scorpio felt the impact of these large potholes.
Old 18th August 2014, 19:59   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
Anyone driving through Panruti-neyveli route to tanjore, please beware of potholes. There are lot many now and even scorpio felt the impact of these large potholes.
I think for Tanjore, nothing beats the 4-lane access all the way via Trichy. Some traffic congestion at BHEL signal. Once past the NIT campus, its smooth all the way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks