Team-BHP - Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/43110-bangalore-shivanasamudra-route-queries-9.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTeacher (Post 3204474)
Would the best route to Mysore be Kanakpura Road --> Hwy 209 --> Kanakapura --> Malavalli --> Bannur --> Mysore? Have travelled on the Mysore Road before (via Ramnagara/Chennapatna/Maddur/Mandya) and found it un-inspiring.

If you are visiting the falls and Talakkadu, then you may have to go further to visit the falls and Talakadu.

And then come back either via Malavalli/Bannur or go ahead to Kollegal and take 212 to Mysore via T-Narasipura.

Quote:

I'll be letting the Minmal Gray Cat out of the bag (my first trip with my new T-Jet Emotion - has only ~ 160 km on the ODO now), and want to enjoy the drive.
Ha! Its raining new cars and Shivasamundaram these days! So you fallen to charms of the Jet. Congrats and best wishes.

Visited shivanasamudra yesterday. Bad idea. Huge crowds. Drove frombangalore on the regular route through maddur, major mistake. It was like a swarm of cars and even the road was not visible. All hotels were full and spilling over. Waited 30 mins for a table at kamat after Ramanagar. Took the road via kanakapura on the way back. This was my first time on that road. Cruising at about 90 continously. Pleasure driving. The road also is good except for a few patches. Returned in about 3 hrs from mysore as we had lunch at lalith mahal palce after visiting the falls

Quote:

Originally Posted by s.prashanth (Post 3204808)
Visited shivanasamudra yesterday. Bad idea. Huge crowds. Drove frombangalore on the regular route through maddur, major mistake. It was like a swarm of cars and even the road was not visible. All hotels were full and spilling over.

That was because of the long weekend. That crowd was for the Mysore road and may not have been explicitly for the falls.
Kanakpura road is much more nicer and relatively traffic free.

There was also no parking available even at the falls. Huge crowds

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3204745)
If you are visiting the falls and Talakkadu, then you may have to go further to visit the falls and Talakadu.

And then come back either via Malavalli/Bannur or go ahead to Kollegal and take 212 to Mysore via T-Narasipura.

Ha! Its raining new cars and Shivasamundaram these days! So you fallen to charms of the Jet. Congrats and best wishes.

Sorry, I was not clear about my intent. I will be driving from BLR to MYS, halting for the night at my bro's place, and then will visit Talakadu and the falls the next day by leaving in the morning.

Thanks for the wishes. The T-Jet decision was made by the heart, not the head!

Quote:

Visited shivanasamudra yesterday. Bad idea. Huge crowds. Drove frombangalore on the regular route through maddur, major mistake. It was like a swarm of cars and even the road was not visible. Took the road via kanakapura on the way back. This was my first time on that road. Cruising at about 90 continously. Pleasure driving. The road also is good except for a few patches.

Prashanth, what time of day was it when you reached the falls?

I guess the old Mysore road will be congested during the I-Day weekend as well. I will take the Kanakpura - Malvalli - Bannur road to Mysore instead. I don't mind that there are no eating joints on the way; we'll have breakfast at home and leave, and will be in Mysore for lunch. I am quite close to the NICE road, and Kanakpura Rd is the very next exit, so that'll work well.

Thanks all.

I reached at about 11

Planning to go there tomorrow, are the crowds bad out there? Will be taking the kanakapura road, hopefully the crowds would have reduced by tomorrow....

Are there absolutely no eateries in this route? Travelling with a kid, so a little concerned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dass (Post 3205243)
Planning to go there tomorrow, are the crowds bad out there? Will be taking the kanakapura road, hopefully the crowds would have reduced by tomorrow....

Are there absolutely no eateries in this route? Travelling with a kid, so a little concerned.

Crowds will be quite horrible considering it is a Sunday. They however have adequate parking facilities and lots of touristy stuff to keep your stomach busy too. :) You can go right down to the bottom of the falls (they just opened the barricades today)

As regards to breakfast options, most of the eateries are located towards Bangalore city, so you have two things to choose from:

- leave slightly late, say by 7.30 or so. You can stop at Adigas (before NICE when going from metro side) or Vaishnavi palace (immediately after NICE intersection on your right side).
OR
- leave early, say by 6.30am or so. Reach Kanakapura town. Eat at Vasu hotel. This is an ancient hotel famous for its Masala Dosas, although you do get many more items there to choose from, just like other eateries. Vasu hotel's location is available on google maps. It is bang on the main road when you enter Kanakapura town on NH-209, next to Apollo pharmacy

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarthikK (Post 3205245)
Crowds will be quite horrible considering it is a Sunday. They however have adequate parking facilities and lots of touristy stuff to keep your stomach busy too. :) You can go right down to the bottom of the falls (they just opened the barricades today)

As regards to breakfast options, most of the eateries are located towards Bangalore city, so you have two things to choose from:

- leave slightly late, say by 7.30 or so. You can stop at Adigas (before NICE when going from metro side) or Vaishnavi palace (immediately after NICE intersection on your right side).
OR
- leave early, say by 6.30am or so. Reach Kanakapura town. Eat at Vasu hotel. This is an ancient hotel famous for its Masala Dosas, although you do get many more items there to choose from, just like other eateries. Vasu hotel's location is available on google maps. It is bang on the main road when you enter Kanakapura town on NH-209, next to Apollo pharmacy

Thanks buddy, I guess its the first option. Still at home and the plan to leave by 7 is down the drain. Looks like I'll only be able to leave an hour from now.

Went to the falls on the Thursday via Nice-road-> Kanakapura Road-> Kanakapura->Malavalli->Falls and returned on same route. After many years I took the old bike ( 13 year old fiero ) out on a long drive. Was pleasantly surprised with the amazing road conditions. It was as if, the entire road was laid by angels ;-). The traffic is also very sparse, and there is no speed-breakers I could recall ( between Kanakapura and Malavalli ).
I never went above 60 kmph but could maintain an average speed of 41 kmph till kanakapura. Attached a photo of the road, it was almost like this the whole way through!.
My wifey and I , enjoyed the ride more than the destination :-p

Quote:

Visited shivanasamudra yesterday. Bad idea. Huge crowds. Drove frombangalore on the regular route through maddur, major mistake. It was like a swarm of cars and even the road was not visible. All hotels were full and spilling over. Waited 30 mins for a table at kamat after Ramanagar. Took the road via kanakapura on the way back. This was my first time on that road. Cruising at about 90 continously. Pleasure driving. The road also is good except for a few patches. Returned in about 3 hrs from mysore as we had lunch at lalith mahal palce after visiting the falls

I had visited these falls last month with my family. The Kanakapura road that you chose while returning is the ideal one. We preferred it both ways and didn't face any traffic whatsoever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dass (Post 3205299)

Thanks buddy, I guess its the first option. Still at home and the plan to leave by 7 is down the drain. Looks like I'll only be able to leave an hour from now.

Had an awesome trip to falls and Talakadu, as was said earlier, the crowds were heavy, however they were better managed at the falls, bad jam at talakadu as those Buggers were busy collecting parking fees than manage crowd.

The water at both the places were not very high though.

The roads were superb through out

Name:  ForumRunner_20130811_230201.png
Views: 1680
Size:  460.6 KB

Attachment 1124235

I am travelling from Bangalore using Kanakpura route, in a fully loaded Civic.

What's the best route from Shivasamudram to Talkadu and to Somnathapura and how is the interior road condition? Any stretches where I need to be worried?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST7677 (Post 3206102)
I am travelling from Bangalore using Kanakpura route, in a fully loaded Civic.

What's the best route from Shivasamudram to Talkadu and to Somnathapura and how is the interior road condition? Any stretches where I need to be worried?

Just before the bridge on Cauvery I have seen a deviation for Talakkadu. However I dont know how good that road is.

A better option is : Kollegal-T-Narasipura-Talakkadu. That was to be the best option. But I do not know how is the road today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3206110)
Just before the bridge on Cauvery I have seen a deviation for Talakkadu. However I dont know how good that road is.

Currently patchy from Belakavadi - Muttanahalli - Somanahalli. The road is also quite narrow in places and uneven.
https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...ra=mr&t=m&z=12

Quote:

A better option is : Kollegal-T-Narasipura-Talakkadu. That was to be the best option. But I do not know how is the road today.
Would totally agree with Ampere. The second route is almost double the distance, but is also a more enjoyable drive. The road is in decent condition on this route:
https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...via=1&t=m&z=12