Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 08:07   #31
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Jog travel. Where to Stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
My idea is to reach Jog/Shimoga (since we would be starting late afternoon) spend the night there. See the falls early morning and then take the winding roads to Honnavar onward to Goa.

Any idea of the best route to Jog from Bangalore? What are typical driving times? Also how is the condition of the Jog-Karwar stretch now considering the monsoons?
You can take the Shimoga route -> Bangalore-Tumkur bypass towards Gubbi (NH206)-Tiptur-Arsikere-Shimoga-Sagara-Jog falls.
You can stay at Shimoga (Jewel Rock/Royal Orchid are good). If you have children traveling then visit the Lion & Tiger Safari, Tyavarekoppa about 10 Km after Shimoga on the way to Sagara (it's on left side of the highway, difficult to miss!). Then you can proceed to Jog, Honnavara, turn right onto NH17 towards Kumta-Ankola-Karwar.
You could also get to Shimoga via Chitradurga (4 lane NH4 till here) which may be about 20 odd Km more than the route I suggested.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 11:40   #32
BHPian

Quote:

My idea is to reach Jog/Shimoga (since we would be starting late afternoon) spend the night there. See the falls early morning and then take the winding roads to Honnavar onward to Goa.

Any idea of the best route to Jog from Bangalore? What are typical driving times? Also how is the condition of the Jog-Karwar stretch now considering the monsoons?
I've booked myself with http://matthuga.in/index.php.

The place seems decent and the booking experience was good.

The route is the standard NH206 from Bangalore-Tumkur-Arsikere-Shimoga-Sagara-Jog. This is a 2 lane in its entirety, but I've seen some folks take the NH4 till Chitradurga(4-laned) and then trace back to Shimoga. It's been said that both the routes take almost same time. So depending on your comfort level, you could pick the one for you.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 20:17   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You can take the Shimoga route -> Bangalore-Tumkur bypass towards Gubbi (NH206)-Tiptur-Arsikere-Shimoga-Sagara-Jog falls.

You could also get to Shimoga via Chitradurga (4 lane NH4 till here) which may be about 20 odd Km more than the route I suggested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
The route is the standard NH206 from Bangalore-Tumkur-Arsikere-Shimoga-Sagara-Jog. This is a 2 lane in its entirety, but I've seen some folks take the NH4 till Chitradurga(4-laned) and then trace back to Shimoga. It's been said that both the routes take almost same time. So depending on your comfort level, you could pick the one for you.
Thanks guys! Any idea how long this route would take in typical driving.

Considering a late afternoon start 16:30 Hrs (04:30 PM) half of the driving would be post dusk (in the dark) which route would you suggest?

That way I prefer a nice winding 2 lane road over an arrow straight 4 lane anyday for sheer driving pleasure (love to throw the car into the curves). But then considering that there may be some night time driving, what would you suggest?

The mention of Tiptur-Arasikere-Shimoga reminds me of some bike ride I did some 8 years ago! It had serious back breaking roads back then . Hope they have since improved!

Also any idea on the recent Jog-Honnavar-Karwar roads condition?

Quote:
You can stay at Shimoga (Jewel Rock/Royal Orchid are good). If you have children traveling then visit the Lion & Tiger Safari, Tyavarekoppa about 10 Km after Shimoga on the way to Sagara (it's on left side of the highway, difficult to miss!). Then you can proceed to Jog,
Thanks! How long does a Shimoga - Jog typically take? The Safari seems like a nice idea. Any idea how long it would take to see? Also how much time would one typically budget for Jog Falls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
I've booked myself with http://matthuga.in/index.php.

The place seems decent and the booking experience was good.
Thanks! Seems nice! Definitely an option if we decide to halt at Jog and not Shimoga!

Wow! So many questions ! Apologies in advance!
Old 26th September 2013, 01:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys! Any idea how long this route would take in typical driving.

Considering a late afternoon start 16:30 Hrs (04:30 PM) half of the driving would be post dusk (in the dark) which route would you suggest?

That way I prefer a nice winding 2 lane road over an arrow straight 4 lane any day for sheer driving pleasure (love to throw the car into the curves). But then considering that there may be some night time driving, what would you suggest?

The mention of Tiptur-Arasikere-Shimoga reminds me of some bike ride I did some 8 years ago! It had serious back breaking roads back then . Hope they have since improved!
I have no personal experience, but by following the Bangalore-Goa thread, I could see that Bangalore-Jog should take easily about 7+ hours approx.

If you start 4.30 pm, it will make no difference going through both routes as you will end up driving in 2 lanes post dusk.

Again, the Bangalore-Goa thread with recent travel updates suggest that the 2 laned NH is pristine to drive all the way.

Quote:

Thanks! How long does a Shimoga - Jog typically take? The Safari seems like a nice idea. Any idea how long it would take to see? Also how much time would one typically budget for Jog Falls?

Thanks! Seems nice! Definitely an option if we decide to halt at Jog and not Shimoga!

Wow! So many questions ! Apologies in advance!
Shimoga-Jog being 100kms should take about a couple of hours I believe.

I initially thought about visiting the Safari, but for that I should halt at Shimoga, which would mean that I will loose my next day in visiting Safari, Jog and doing a longer drive to Goa. My ultimate aim is to spend more time in Goa, hence decided to give the Safari a miss.

I think with a 3 year old you are not going to venture out much as a trek, so Jog should not take more than an hour or two IMHO.

I think the whole idea of this forum is to encourage views and questions, so no need to apologize!

Last edited by luvurride : 26th September 2013 at 01:15. Reason: Add more content
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 08:11   #35
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

That way I prefer a nice winding 2 lane road over an arrow straight 4 lane anyday for sheer driving pleasure (love to throw the car into the curves). But then considering that there may be some night time driving, what would you suggest?

Given that you're starting at 4.30pm I think the Chitradurga route may be better option since you have 4 lane roads till there. From there it's 2 lane roads and I haven't taken that route to Shimoga so can't say much about road conditions.
Road conditions on Tiptur route is very good but need to drive with caution and avoid high speeds (as always on our highways). The Tumkur bypass is a little bumpy but still driveable.

Quote:
When I did this route last year it was a little bit rough in the Sharavathi forest region but again driveable during day, not sure about current conditions and night driving on this stretch.

Quote:
How long does a Shimoga - Jog typically take? The Safari seems like a nice idea. Any idea how long it would take to see? Also how much time would one typically budget for Jog Falls?
Budget about 2-2.5 hours for Shimoga-Jog.
Budget about 2 hours for the safari (check their timings and plan).
Jog (with lesser crowds) should take about an hour at most.
Old 26th September 2013, 09:50   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That is one of the amazing ones now!

Quote:

Rough patches at many places and some what bad in the ghats.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 12:32   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, planning a trip to Agumbe and Jog over AUG 15-17 weekend. Due to extended weekend rush most of the hotels in that area is booked.
My requirement was just clean rooms and parking; nothing fancy required.
Had checked in KSTDC Mayura near Jog which is booked, saw another hotel mentioned in this thread (stay@mattuga). Tripadvisor has mixed reviews of the same, does any one know how the hotel is.
RoyalOrchid in Shimoga has rooms available, however most of the three days may be spent driving up and down in that case (to Agumbe & Jog).
Was thinking of staying at Doddamane at Agumbe, however not sure if it will be possible to get a separate double room at rush time. Need to check with them though.
Thanks.
Old 29th July 2014, 19:35   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Guys, planning a trip to Agumbe and Jog over AUG 15-17 weekend. Due to extended weekend rush most of the hotels in that area is booked.
Look for hotels in Shimoga then. Jog is about 80km from here. It might turn out to be a good mid way stop.
Old 29th July 2014, 21:29   #39
BHPian

You can also try varadashree hotel in sagar. It is bit cheap compared to other hotels and has super lake view from the rooms. If you want to stay in homestay's then i can share some numbers with you which might help you (i have numbers of 2 homestays, they do not allow non veg food and alcohol)
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 22:08   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
You can also try varadashree hotel in sagar.
Thanks for the help.

As Ampere mentioned in earlier post I was also thinking of checking hotels in Shimoga (since it is may not be available in Agumbe). Sagar may be bit too far for me since primary trip plan was to spend time Agumbe, Jog was a add on due to rainy season.
Old 30th July 2014, 07:15   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the help.

As Ampere mentioned in earlier post I was also thinking of checking hotels in Shimoga (since it is may not be available in Agumbe). Sagar may be bit too far for me since primary trip plan was to spend time Agumbe, Jog was a add on due to rainy season.
A bit higher on the budget, I would recommend Royal Orchid. Very nice place, right in the center of the city close to bus stand. The other one which I hear is Jewel Rock.

Last edited by ampere : 30th July 2014 at 07:17.
Old 30th July 2014, 08:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the help.

You can also try for home stays in Teerthahalli. People have given good feedbacks about the homestays. Teerthahalli will be nearer compared to Shimoga.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 08:37   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
You can also try for home stays in Teerthahalli. People have given good feedbacks about the homestays. Teerthahalli will be nearer compared to Shimoga.
Thirthahalli would quite off the track compared to Shimoga for Jog. However its closer to Agumbe. From that point of view it makes sense. Also the Shimoga-Thirthahalli road is a beauty to drive.
Old 30th July 2014, 09:37   #44
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My requirement was just clean rooms and parking; nothing fancy required.
Tirthahalli may be too far for Jog but a good option if you want to visit Sringeri, Agumbe, Kodachadri, Kollur each in day trips. I did something similar in December last year.
We stayed at Kolavara Heritage in Trithahalli (about 10 Km from Tirthahalii town). Another option is Bananki home stay at Tirthahalli very close to the highway.

Shimoga is a better option for visiting Jog - try Jewel Rock/Royal Orchid. Also try to visit the Lion & Tiger safari about 10Km from Shimoga enroute Jog/Sagar.

EDIT:Found this on another thread, Hombuja Hotel - may be an option at Shimoga ? Link

Last edited by NPV : 30th July 2014 at 09:42.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 22:58   #45
JLN
BHPian

Quote:
Tirthahalli may be too far for Jog but a good option if you want to visit Sringeri, Agumbe, Kodachadri, Kollur each in day trips. I did something similar in December last year.
We stayed at Kolavara Heritage in Trithahalli (about 10 Km from Tirthahalii town). Another option is Bananki home stay at Tirthahalli very close to the highway.

Shimoga is a better option for visiting Jog - try Jewel Rock/Royal Orchid. Also try to visit the Lion & Tiger safari about 10Km from Shimoga enroute Jog/Sagar.

EDIT:Found this on another thread, Hombuja Hotel - may be an option at Shimoga ? Link
You can try the new Jungle Lodges resort - Sharavati Adevture Camp, very close to Jog falls
JLN is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed